Convoy from Border Crossing

rossmac

The Panam 13 Team, based in Naples, Florida, would be interested in participating in a convoy at the Mexican border for the run to Guanajuato.

Based upon our total ignorance of the implications or alternatives, it seems to us that a crossing at Laredo, Texas first thing in the morning on Sunday, December 9 would be appropriate.

Is a Laredo first thing on a Sunday our best alternative? Would any other Teams originating in the Southeast or Gulf States like to join us?

cosmic88

Observationalist
It's in the mail...

Who is on this particular team and where was my invitation?

:coffeedrink:

Rocketman

I'm attempting to form a team out of Houston. Sunday the 9th might work out for us. Would you be going straight through to Guanajuato or spending the night along the way?

rossmac

Florida license plate “PANAM 13” is assigned to a Slee and Adventure Trailers prepared 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser. “PANAM 13” is an abbreviation and symbolic representation for “Overland from Naples, Florida to Panama City, Panama in 2103”, which is the current Expedition destination.

Phase I of the PANAM13 Expedition is the 2012 Maya End of the World Rally from Guanajuato to Bacalar, Mexico December 11, 2012 through December 21, 2012. If the world does not end as scheduled, the Phase I Team of Ross McIntosh and Alex Oppliger will subsequently leave the Land Cruiser in Belize, and will return to base for Christmas.

Ross (Canadian/American) and Alex (Swiss/American) have zero experience overlanding outside the U.S., and/or travelling together, and Alex's language skills (English/Schweizerdeutsch) will be worthless on the Rally. So other than the Cruiser, the PANAM 13 Team is taking a giant leap of faith to join the Maya End of the World Rally.

Ross and his wife Shelley will return to Belize to retrieve the Land Cruiser for Phase II of the PANAM 13 Expedition: to tag along with the No Limit X Ruins and Rainforest Expedition from Belize City to Guatemala City January 24 through February 2, 2013.

Phase III and beyond, is to be determined….

Ross W. McIntosh
Licensed Real Estate Broker
720 Goodlette Rd. N
Suite 303
Naples, FL 34102-5656
239-213-1425 - Office
239-791-1221 - Fax
ross@rosswmcintosh.com

rossmac

If we cross into Mexico on the 9th, we have two days to arrive in Guanajuato, so a leisurely drive and overnight stop (San Luiss Potosi?) is certainly feasible.

rossmac

I wouldn't really want to stop or spend any time anywhere much farther north than SLP.
It's a full days drive from the border to get there but my truck is very overt and I'm not willing to risk hanging out in the border zone.

I might be able to arrange a safe spot in SLP too. Depends on how many vehicles join this convoy.

Depending upon your route to Laredo, PANAM 13 can connect with you in Louisiana or Texas, but at a minimum we are prepared to commit to a rendezvous with you in Laredo, TX or environs on the evening of Saturday, December 8, 2012 in anticipation of a 7am Sunday, December 9th border crossing in to Mexico.

According to time and date.com, sunset in San Luis Potosi on December 9, 2012 is 6:01pm. If we cross the Border at 7am, we'll have 11 hours of daylight to get to San Luis Potosi. Your offer of a safe overnight spot in SLP is appreciated and accepted.

Rocketman

Team TEXMEX Overland is starting to come together. I will be driving down in my '72 FJ40 - maybe with my son, maybe with my sister, maybe with my dog, maybe with a gf if I have one by then. Two friends (afraid to drive their Jeeps) will fly down and rent a suitable vehicle for the rally, then fly back in time to play Santa Claus. I will continue northwest after the party to San Carlos, Sonora. My sister lives there, and I planned on spending Christmas there anyway. This will be a nice detour to the Pacific coast. :sombrero:

Ross, when do you plan on coming through Houston?

rossmac

I'm attempting to form a team out of Houston. Sunday the 9th might work out for us. Would you be going straight through to Guanajuato or spending the night along the way?
If we elect to sprint from Naples to Laredo, which seems likely, PANAM13 should be coming through Houston mid-day, Saturday, December 8, in anticipation of an early evening arrival in Laredo.

Last edited:

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Team Ralph will be bar-hopping their way down the coast of Mexico eating fish tacos until they stumble upon Guanajuato, all are welcome to join.

12V blenders and ample tequila are required.

Rocketman

I wouldn't want to slow you down if you're in a hurry. My 40 is only good for 65 mph. Houston to Laredo is a good 7 hrs at speed - probably 8 for me.

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
it seems to us that a crossing at Laredo, Texas first thing in the morning on Sunday, December 9 would be appropriate.

Is a Laredo first thing on a Sunday our best alternative? Would any other Teams originating in the Southeast or Gulf States like to join us?

We're not making the rally but are planning on crossing December 8 in Laredo.

According to time and date.com, sunset in San Luis Potosi on December 9, 2012 is 6:01pm. If we cross the Border at 7am, we'll have 11 hours of daylight to get to San Luis Potosi. Your offer of a safe overnight spot in SLP is appreciated and accepted.

We crossed at Bridge II in Laredo Dec 18 last year and it took 8 hours to get through. Lots of paisanos were heading south for Christmas. Might not be as bad ten days earlier, but you might plan accordingly. There's a Holiday Inn across the border in Nuevo Laredo with good security and right off the highway if its too late in the day to travel south.

We'll probably try the Columbia Bridge crossing this time.
http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

EDIT: From reading this, looks like December 18 was during the peak of paisano travel:
http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2011...-mexican-travelers-heading-home-for-holidays/

Last edited:

rossmac

I wouldn't want to slow you down if you're in a hurry. My 40 is only good for 65 mph. Houston to Laredo is a good 7 hrs at speed - probably 8 for me.
PANAM13 can either mosey from Houston to Laredo in convoy with your 40, or meet you when you arrive at our to be determined overnight location in Laredo. Once in Mexico, your limited cruising speed won't be an issue for us. We will want to travel at a more leisurely pace once South of the border.

rossmac

We're not making the rally but are planning on crossing December 8 in Laredo.

We crossed at Bridge II in Laredo Dec 18 last year and it took 8 hours to get through. Lots of paisanos were heading south for Christmas. Might not be as bad ten days earlier, but you might plan accordingly. There's a Holiday Inn across the border in Nuevo Laredo with good security and right off the highway if its too late in the day to travel south.

We'll probably try the Columbia Bridge crossing this time.
http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

EDIT: From reading this, looks like December 18 was during the peak of paisano travel:
http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2011...-mexican-travelers-heading-home-for-holidays/

Thanks for the "wait times" website. Looks like you chose the precise wrong time to cross last year!

Rocketman

PANAM13 can either mosey from Houston to Laredo in convoy with your 40, or meet you when you arrive at our to be determined overnight location in Laredo. Once in Mexico, your limited cruising speed won't be an issue for us. We will want to travel at a more leisurely pace once South of the border.
Either works for me. I might even leave early and wait for you guys to catch up (hopefully not sitting on the side of the road). We'll figure it out as it gets closer to the end of the world. Just let me know where and I'll be there before you leave in the morning.

So, what type of route are you shooting for once the rally starts - mild, moderate, challenging, or mexican goat trails? I'm assuming there will be hidden items in easy places as well as off the beaten path, but in addition to the scavenger hunt, I'm planning on hitting the Palenque, Bonampak, and Calakmul ruins at the very least. I really don't know what there is to see in the mountains except scenery, so I haven't really planned anything besides the ruins.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
I havent registered for the event yet and im in the early planning phase but i might be intrested in convoying from the border crossing. my initial plan was to cross in brownsville and drive down the coast but i am up to for changing my route. My starting point is Pensacola Florida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles