1999 GMC Yukon Build

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Hi all, my name is Riley, new to the forum and already finding too many ways to spend money (and save it) on my truck.

Quick rundown of the truck:

1999 GMC Yukon, 5.7L V8, 4L60e Transmission, auto-trac transfer case, stock front end and rear axle (G80 equipped)

Grandpa bought this truck brand new back in October 98 from the factory with 0.3 mile on it, mom inherited it when he passed away in 2003. They couldn't afford to keep it (mom and dad) at the time so my brother bought it and "blinged" it :rolleyes: In 2007, I saved it from a life of mall-crawling soccer mom duty for a good life on the road and in the woods. I bought it at 110k miles and in the 4-1/2 years since have put 80k on it.

Current mods:

K&N airfilter, Flowmaster 50 series 2-in-2-out muffler, torsion crank in front, 1.5" blocks in back, 265-70/17 Toyo a/t's on nbs Police Interceptor 17x8's, in dash 2din DVD nav system (almost...) KC off road lights, slotted and cross-drilled rotors with severe duty pads, and a few other minor things.

Future mods:
Rebuild engine with racing components (durability)
BlackBear tune
Rebuild tranny with racing components
Swap auto-crap t-case for manual shift (allows slip-yoke eliminator)
Snorkel
Custom front bumper with bull bar, winch, light mounts etc.
Custom rear bumper with dual swing out tire carrier and jerrycan holder and hi-lift mount with integrated receiver hitch.
On board air
Solid axle swap with crossover steering and a locker
Rear 14bsf with ARB and disc brakes
Hydro-boost brake conversion
Roof top tent
Awning
On board fresh water storage
Heat exchange shower kit
2-dr Tahoe gas tank where the spare is now
CB radio
HAM radio in place of the jack storage
Remove all carpet and Rhino-line
HID headlights and off road lights
Green dash lights
More as I think of them...

This thread is worthless without pics, right?

When I bought her
IMG_0035.jpg

New wheels and tires and lift
IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Exploring the Dalton highway to Prudhoe Bay, AK
936.jpg

1052.jpg

Not quite in dash nav system (the radio is nav ready, but I don't have the $250 part to make it work)
DSCN1832.jpg

Last edited:

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I will be using this thread as a build thread over the years. This will get built, but as I am starting school (again) soon, it will be put on the back burner. If any of you have ideas or inspiration, please feel free to share it.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
That is a nice looking rig you have there. I endorse your selection of replacement wheels 100%. No hurries in doing all your mods, make sure you still take time to go out and enjoy the rig when you can.

I LOVE the pic of the Dalton Highway, that is definitely a place on my To Visit list...

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hello Riley, and thank you for POSTING LOTS OF PICS!:Wow1: You know we all love pics! Ow, did i say you have an awesome ride?:ylsmoke: Cheers, Chilli.:)

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Love the rig, man! I was actually just checking out that unit you have in your dash at Wally World today. I'll be taking my stereo out of my pickup to put in my new to me car soon, so thinking it's time for a full on nav/double din entertainment center.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
good looking truck i love seeing the fulls size chevy suvs turned into Expo vehicles, i think their a great patform for it. Subd

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Talked with blazinzuk from CK5, he'll be fabbing up some pimp bumpers for my ride:sombrero: I'll pick them up in December.

Also, I'm tossing ideas around my head about how to make a roof rack with sides that fold down to make a stable platform for a tent. It's also going to fold out over the back to make a little "roof" over the tailgate kitchen area. Anyone have any ideas and/or suggestions?

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Update: a week after my last post, I got fired from my job, and have been unemployed since until now. I have moved from Washington to Utah and will be getting this back on track.

But that doesn't mean I haven't been enjoying it, in fact, I have been out on a few wheeling trips:

Summertime wheeling trip in Grant County:

DSCN2077.jpg

DSCN2074.jpg

DSCN2083.jpg

DSCN2087.jpg

Upgraded shocks:

DSCN2097.jpg

New skid plates:

DSCN2164.jpg

DSCN2167.jpg

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I see far too many builds on this site that the owner spends all his time, money and talent in building the rig, and never goes out to actually enjoy it. So when something goes wrong in a parking lot somewhere, he says, "****** it! I'm done with this piece of crap!" and sells it without ever having used it. I'm not going to let that happen to me. So while I wait for stuff like my bumpers, I figured the need to lift it first, as that trip in the Cascades had me using my brand new skid plates, and I also saw the need and benefit for lockers, as that last hill (where my Yukon is pictured next to the Land Cruiser) I couldn't make it, but the Cruiser, with front and rear lockers, went up without even so much as a loose tire.

One thing I really don't like is when people see my shiny truck, they assume it's a street queen. That's why the bumpers that have been put on hold are going to be so important, they will show people that I actually use my truck, and not just for show. I keep her clean, but I use it for what it's meant for.

Oh and one other milestone: 200,000 miles baby!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles