Potential Van Project - options

Horizon

I've lurked here long enough...and time to start my rig. I'm starting to look for a 99-04 E350 with a 7.3; since that is the holy grail, I don't expect to find one. As such, I'm forming Plan B: buying a E350 gasser and installing a 12v Cummins and a UJOR 4x4 kit.

Thoughts/feedback? Is there enough room under there? Has anyone done it?

xtremexj

Adventurer
Sounds like it could be an interesting project. However, you'll have to build a custom dog house to work with the extra length of the 6BT engine. You could also consider a 4BT, it's about the same length as a V8 and can be tweaked fairly easily to make the same power as a stock 6BT. Just some options for you.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I think it is possible. I know a guy on advrider put a 6bt into an older e-series rv. He managed it with a stickshift too I think. So in theory all the parts and the space exists to make a 6bt powered e350 stick shift 4wd van. The trick would be to manage it all.

Alternately I have seen a ton of 7.3 powered cut away vans from the ambulance people. I worked at an ambulance shop for awhile and they would transfer the boxes to new chassis and then junk or auction the old chassis. Ambulances are almost always diesel powered and the 7.3s are still getting rotated out. You might be able to get a gasser, a 7.3 ambulance chassis and the time into converting it for less than a decent running stock van.

The question at the end of the day is - Do you really want to do all the work to make it happen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94