My Journey

So it's the final leg before crossing the pass. We leave Yak Kharka early and begin the climb to Thorung Pedi (14,530'). The weather continues to be outstanding as it has been for most of the trip. This would be our shortest day of hiking (5.0 miles) but certainly not the easiest. That being said we arrive early to our tea house and spend the afternoon hanging out in the lodge area. By late afternoon the weather changes for the worse and it's soon whiteout conditions and the temperatures begin to fall. Everybody there is nervous about it and it's the main topic of day and all evening as well. I was beginning to feel the effects of the altitude which meant a mild headache and a bad stomach. Now it's important to slam plenty of water and eat as much as you can although your desire for food is almost nil. I crashed early that night as I was really feeling bad. Of course I was second guessing my fast ascent but knew that I'd be over the pass soon. Just getting to sleep was a real chore and I was only able to grab a few hours of shut eye before we were up and climbing in what appeared to be clearing weather. Of course that really didn't happen for us......

The Annapurna Trail.....

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

This was the group of Europeans that I hung out with for a few days.....

DSC_0023.jpg

Amazing views along the trail.....

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Arriving at Thorung Pedi (14,530') in the thin air.....

DSC_0028.jpg

And this shot was taken from our tea house when the white out began.....

DSC_0029.jpg

Last edited:
And that would be the end of my postings on my Nepal / Annapurna trip. I hope you enjoyed. Now I'm gearing up for a July one departure to Alaska and the Dalton Highway in my truck / camper with the dogs.

Last edited:
There's really nothing you can do to help them directly. Shambhu opened a bank account and my neighbor and I both wired him a significant amount of money. Banks on this end waved the transfer fees due to the situation but not the case for Nepali banks. In my opinion their fees to receive the money was outrageous. My neighbor and I paid the fees (what else can you do ?). I got a message from Shambhu about a week ago and he said he was at his parents house (the good news being that the road is finally open east of Kathmandu). He sent a picture of all kinds of supplies that he had bought (included mattresses for all his younger siblings.....a little sad). I haven't heard from him since then. I'm sure they're busy rebuilding their lives.......

Yea guys I can't wait to get on the road. I'm slowly working on my "to do' list for the next trip. Ten days ago I finally had my surgery for the hernia that I got a few years back. My recovery is going great and yesterday I walked (14.5) miles and was able to mow my half acre lot. I'm pretty stoked about all that and I'm very thankful since I've read a lot of horror stories about people's surgeries. I dropped the Jeep off at the shop a few days ago for a good bit of planned work. The truck is scheduled at Rickson Tire in Maryland for (2) new tires in a few weeks and then it'll go in the shop as well. Hopefully I have someone lined up to live in my house while I'm traveling (work in progress). I'm thinking about going to Central America after Alaska so it makes it difficult to find someone that can work with me. But yea July first is looking doable right now........

unkamonkey

Explorer
Always a bit of a question when you send $ across the world, at least you knew who you were sending it to. I have A friend has worked about everywhere in the world. An older guy he worked with (WWII vet) said that he will only give money to Salvation Army. The only people that showed up at the front line to give aid. Anyway, good for you, You are doing the right thing.

jeep monkey

Hi Jerry,

I just read all 55 pages of your adventures and I just wanted to say thank you. You have inspired me to do even more exploring. I have the option with my job (teaching) to work four years at a reduced amount of pay, take a year leave and get the remainder of my pay throughout that 5th year. I have been thinking strongly about doing this and I think your adventures have been the tipping point and I am going to pull the trigger.

Anyway, on your way up to Alaska if you want a hot shower, dinner and some beers, stop by Vanderhoof, BC on your way up. (its one hour west of Prince George). I can maybe give you some tips of places to see in the area and possibly the province. (although you seem to have things very well covered! The name is Jeff and I'll pm you my #

Cheers and thanks again.

Last edited:
unkamonkey.......yea right I feel real good regarding the money that we sent to Shambhu. I spoke with him several days ago and he's been in the mountains helping his parents rebuild. Maybe some of the best money I've ever spent.........

Jeff.....thanks for the offer and the nice words. Very kind of you and don't be surprised if you hear from me. I've learned that some of the highlights of travel can be the people that you meet. If I come your way I'll send you a PM as I get closer. Thanks

In these pictures you see Dan's tech sanding down the high spots on the tire. Each tire takes about an hour to mount and balance.

IMG_5015.jpg

IMG_5014.jpg

Anyhow I kind of like that matte black look. Check it out........

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

Now the dogs and I are packing our stuff and we plan to be on the road on Monday or Tuesday. It's so hot in Virginia. I hate it and I can't wait to go north.We eat lots of popsicles to stay cool.......

IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5030 (3).jpg

Not sure how long we will be gone but it'll be at least (3) months since I'm homeless for at least that long. We're headed north, hopefully as far north as you can drive. Then who knows..........

Last edited:

jeep monkey

Sounds good Jerry. See you when you get here if it works out for you. :) 'm looking forward to more entries here. You are a great story teller.

Jeff

Once again my rig is fully loaded and we're ready to hit the road. The plan is to be out of here by 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. That may not happen but it'll be close to that I think. For the past several weeks I've been saying to the dogs "let's go to Alaska" ! Of course they don't have a clue (or do they ?) as to what's going on but I must say that it's caught their attention. Now that the camper is on the truck, they do realize that something is going to happen. Speaking of the camper, I made a few cosmetic changes to it this week that I'm quite pleased with. I decided it was time to remove all the manufacturer decals as well as the dealership decals, and several of the decorative decals. And then I took it to the sign shop and had a large world map added to the front. Check it out:

IMG_5043.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg

So I was really liking the new look.........I thought the black bumper and wheels worked great with the green paint on the truck, and then the all the black world decals on the camper just made it the better. Then I hooked the Jeep up yesterday to check all my wiring and that got me to thinking that the Jeep also needed black wheels. Well the tires and wheels on the truck set me back $2,200 and then another $150 for the world decal........I just wasn't ready to spend much on the Jeep. So last night I headed up to the auto parts store and picked up a few cans of Dupli Color wheel paint. I'll tell you what........I hadn't washed those wheels in over a decade but I was amazed how well they cleaned up. Then I shot them with a few cans of paint and I must say they look pretty damn good. All for $14. Have a look:

IMG_5084.jpg

Last edited:
So here's the deal......of course I know where I'm at right now, and I know where I want to go eventually, but I have no idea what route I'll take. Honestly, I plan to finish loading the truck in the morning, get the dogs and myself in the truck, and then I'll sit in my driveway and come up with a route. I'm leaning towards driving cross country Canada, but I'm not sure. I'll let you know as soon as I come up with a plan. I can't wait to see what I come up with..........

By the way my best buddy was at the house today......he says "I'd give you about a 25 % chance that you'll make it all the way to Alaska". Now that's a challenge in my book. Heck I've been thinking lately about the drive from Alaska to Costa Rica. Just a few more things that I just can't wait to see how they pan out.

So begins my "solo expedition to Alaska" or as I prefer to call it "my summer vacation" !

Thanks to Expedition Portal and it's staff for allowing me to continue posting on their site. It's never taken for granted........

unkamonkey

Explorer
I've been around dogs for over 50 years. They know when a trip is in the plans and they are ready to go. They get a bit bummed if they figure out that you are taking them to the vet. My neighbors have several dogs. Open a car or truck door and one will be in there ready to go. Good luck with your trip.

Good luck, Jerry! Reading about your travels were one of the inspirations for me to take off on my own road trip, and now that I'm stationary again for the foreseeable future, I hope to follow along when you set off again.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Jerry....I'll be following along. May be headed back up to Alaska myself later this summer. Went up on the bike last summer but will take the camper and Petey if I head back up. Who knows, we may run across each other. Safe travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne