My Journey

Crackerjack.....thanks. Glad you enjoy it.....

So here I am back in Bozeman again. Sometimes it seems like all roads lead to that town for me. I'm just hanging out again but I'm not planning on staying long this time. Tuesday night I went to the Farmers Market and was somewhat surprised that an orchestra was playing as well as vendors and what not. Typical Bozeman.....

image.jpg

Ran errands yesterday and hung out at the park swimming. Last night they closed Main Street yet again.....they had (4) bands and tons of vendors selling foods. Tonight is Thursday Night on Main and they'll be closing the street and having yet another party. Then tomorrow starts the Sweet Pea Festival for (3) days and the Stampede starts on Friday. Amazing how much there is to do here or leave town and go out into the wilderness. So many choices.....

image.jpg

joeyabisa

Adventurer
Wow Jerry, You've been busy! I haven't been on EP for awhile and your posting was the first I looked at. As always great photos and a wonderful journey. I like your style of cruising and your writing- it's always pleasant and warm. I've been busy with work and prepping for me and my son Leo's trip. We're leaving Maryland on Sunday and heading west, Baja, then northward through AZ and UT before cutting east, homeward. I don't know where you'll be toward the end of the month but maybe we'll run into each other. As always, thanks for posting your travels, it's always a pleasure.

kangan

Traveling is necessary in Everyone's life.It helps you to experience many changes and let you to know customs and cultures of other people.Some days ago We made a trip to visit all places in Himachal pradesh .It is really a marvelous and amazing place.We had a great time there.I came back with a great and wonderful experience.You must also plan for it...Have a great journey..

Joeyabisa.......thanks.....safe travels....too hot for me right now to be that far south.

Like I said I didn't plan to stay long in Bozeman and after my second night there we pulled out of town and drove west to Ennis, Montana. I've been hunting around for some antlers and I asked around town and got hooked up with Don Schaufler. He owns a shop called Antler Designs but also deals in raw antlers. I met him at his shop and we also got on great. We talked way took long, I bought a few antlers, and then he grabbed a few extras and threw them my way. Great guy ! He's got a website if you're interested. www.antlerdesigns.com

image.jpg

image.jpg

I thought about spending the evening at the fairgrounds in Ennis but decided to move on and headed south. I found a forest service road to Bear Creek (sounded good to me !!). I didn't realize it but it was at the base of Sphinx Mountain (10,876'), a mountain I had climbed in 2004 with a few friends. I found myself a nice spot in a free forest service campground along Bear Creek and called it a day. Around 9:00 p.m. the dogs and I hiked up a little mountain to watch a Montana sunset. Not spectacular one that night but hey I'm loving it !

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
The following morning I was up at daybreak and on the road after several cups of coffee and a granola bar. Stopped along the Madison River so the dogs could have a quick, early morning swim. A deer ran by followed by a wolf hot on its heels. Then I spotted a bald eagle fishing for trout, then returning to it's nest which was on the far shoreline to feed it's young. It was quite a show and the young chicks were so loud and demanding......

image.jpg

We continued south and our next stop was at Earthquake Lake. Pretty cool place caused by an earthquake followed by an avalanche in 1959. A bunch of people were buried alive and were never found. Of course the avalanche caused a dam to form and created the lake......

image.jpg

We made it to the West Yellowstone gate and entered the park. Always an amazing drive through the park but we didn't stop too much. I saw these Elk and got some pictures of them playing in the river. And I say playing cause they really were......

image.jpg

image.jpg

We checked out a few geysers this trip.....

image.jpg

We crossed the Continental Divide several more times. It seems like we've been bouncing around that line for the last month.....

image.jpg

We departed the park at the south entrance and quickly pulled into one of my favorite dispersed camp sites. And that's where we slept last night.....right along the river.....with one billion mosquitos !

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
The following morning we were up again early and I caught the sun rising in the dense fog above the river. It was really, really nice.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

On the way out to the main road south we encountered a bunch of mule deer grazing. The sound of the diesel engine frightened them and they quickly went for the dense forest....

image.jpg

We stopped at a lake just north of the Tetons to go swimming. The views of course are magnificent and the weather couldn't be better.....

image.jpg

Next was a drive through the park and a shower at Climbers Ranch. A visit there always makes me want to climb something there. But not with the dogs....it's a national park....

image.jpg

But I love my dogs and I never doubt that it's worth the sacrifice....

image.jpg

We've spent the last few days visiting friends in Jackson, Wyoming and of course checking out all the cool shops. We did a bit of hiking in the national forest east of town. But today we are headed back north, then east, driving in a light rain. Not my favorite but it gives a new look to the mountains which I'm enjoying.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Bob....not quite that far north but thanks for the invitation. Probably be back that way next summer and will contact you then for sure. Thanks.

So out of Jackson and back into the wilderness. We took Route 26 in a southeasterly direction and made one quick stop for our last view of the Tetons. Wow what a magnificent mountain range.....

image.jpg

Our next stop was up a forest service road to Brooks Lake. A forest service crew warned me that part of the road had washed out but that I might make it. Of course I pushed on. I came around the bend and saw this guy ahead of me that couldn't get his trailer through the construction.

image.jpg

The guy backs up, and the next thing I see is the crew hooking a chain up to his trailer. Then they used the backhoe to lift his trailer through the worst section. I could hardly believe what I was seeing. I was wondering what was up for me !?!

image.jpg

The backhoe operator told me to put into four low and don't stop. That's just what I did and passed through easily.

image.jpg

We checked out Brooks Lake....absolutely beautiful but decided to move on. We passed through Dubois, Wyoming and after a few miles took Forest Service Road 411 into the Windy River Mountain Range. We found (3) consecutive remote lakes and set up camp at the second lake.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The weather continued to be unsettled with showers passing through all day. I caught a glimpse of a rainbow and got a few pictures before it disappeared. Temperatures have also cooled quite a bit so it's made camping very enjoyable these days.

image.jpg

In the evening we went hiking and found an unmarked trail leading to some cliffs. It looked pretty interesting and I love climbing up stuff so up we went. Along the trail we came across several petroglyphs which were quite a surprise. Of course I got pictures and here's just a few of the maybe (10) that we found. I loved getting up into the rocks but damn they were slippery with all these showers. Yukon showed no fear and went way up to the point that I felt uncomfortable for her. I have no idea his she makes her way up those cliffs.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
The following morning we unhooked the Jeep and drove further into the forest. There were massive mountains ahead of us so I figured we weren't going too far. After several miles the road ended where a beautiful stream came cascading down from the fog enshrouded mountains. We hiked up along stream for a bit. As a side note, this area is the largest wintering grounds for Big Horn Sheep. Over (900) sheep winter here each year. So you can just imagine the how rocky these mountains are in this area....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We returned to the lake and we all went swimming. I couldn't believe I did it....the water was ice cold and the air temperature was 63 degrees. But it sure felt great afterwards. We broke camp and headed back to Route 26. Our next stop for the day was Hell's Half Acre.

image.jpg

I'd never heard of either but it looked interesting. We hung there for awhile and finally decided to just stay there last night. We had the place to ourselves and I spent my evening sitting on a ledge overlooking the canyon. Storms were moving across Wyoming last night and I had a spectacular light show with the unending lightning. What an awesome way to spend an evening.....

Here's a few pictures of last night's Wyoming skies....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This morning we drove into Casper, Wyoming for groceries and diesel fuel. We are on the move today.....

Last edited:
So yea yesterday was pretty much a travel day and since it rained most of the day it worked out well cause I had some plans. As we departed Casper a cop pulled in front of me and blocked the road so a massive truck load could pass by. They closed the street for about (5) minutes for this truck to clear the intersection. The cop told me that it was 258' long. It had a truck pulling and a truck pushing, plus a driver steering the trailer.

image.jpg

And out of Casper, we drove northeasterly towards South Dakota. I wanted to drive through Thunder Basin National Grassland but in doing so we passed some of the ugliest places I've ever visited. Such as the largest open coal mining pit in North America and lands that are completely covered in oil wells, gas lines, and power lines. It was unreal !

image.jpg

But once we got pass that, the grass lands were quite nice....even with all the rains.

image.jpg

Not much to talk about for that day....

Last edited:
This morning I had my coffee in the Black Hills National Forest while the dogs chased animals in the brush piles....

image.jpg

From there we drove into Custer, South Dakota to meet up with (2) cyclists that I had met.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The guy was French, cycling from Montreal to San Francisco and then onto South America and the girl was Swiss traveling from New York to San Francisco, then onto Southeast Asia. They wanted a lift to see Mt. Rushmore so off we went.....

image.jpg

They were tons of fun and reminded me so much of the hitch hiking French students I picked up several years ago. I dropped them back in Custer in the afternoon just as things were heating up with the bikers. Apparently it's bike week in Sturgis, South Dakota and the activities overflow to Custer. The town was packed with motorcycles.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

So my friends were headed west and I decided to go southeast and visit Wounded Knee. I've always wanted to check this place out but never made the effort. There wasn't much to look at but it satisfied my curiosity. I read a lot about this as a young man so it was neat to see it....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then we got on Route 18 and started driving east through South Dakota....

Last edited:

memetotes

Just caught up on your posts...amazing photos...almost feel as if I'm there! You certainly are having some great adventures and that makes me so happy :)
Love ya!
Glo

I decided to return home for several reasons............a friend is sick and needs help............the transmission on my truck is acting up and needs repair (the transmission won't slide into overdrive while in tow mode and with the weight that I carry & pull it's essential)..........we actually limped home for the last (600) miles..........and to be perfectly honest, I was ready to kick back and relax for a bit.

So now I'm sitting here in my easy chair planning my next trip. I've wanted to go to Morocco for quite sometime so I hope to get there in 2014. I also plan to travel to Chisasibi & Longue Pointe, Quebec, Canada. I'm also considering a trip to the southeast and then going west to spend a part of or all of the winter in Mexico and Central America. Who knows.........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne