M416 jerry can holders

Rosader

Observer
I found a guy on CL selling a set of original jerry can holders and I would like to purchase and install them on mine in the same factory location of the later versions.
A few Q's

How are these mounted on the later version trailers?
Are there special brackets that would have to be bought/fabbed?
How many gallons do the original cans hold?
Can I use other (non-original) cans with the original holders in the original locations?

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
There are no "original" locations for jerry cans on military trailers. Any photos you come across of trailers still in military service with jerry cans mounted to them reflect a field modification. Thus, you can mount your jerry can mounts where ever you like. WWII, Korean war and Vietnam era jerry cans (both gas and water) are 5 gal. The mounts are simply bolted to a vertical surface; no special bracket required. "Non-original" cans such a Spector and Nato cans should fit fine - but you will have to test fit what you have. The cans are held in place in the mount with a canvas (or synthetic) strap.

Rosader

Observer
There are no "original" locations for jerry cans on military trailers. Any photos you come across of trailers still in military service with jerry cans mounted to them reflect a field modification. Thus, you can mount your jerry can mounts where ever you like. WWII, Korean war and Vietnam era jerry cans (both gas and water) are 5 gal. The mounts are simply bolted to a vertical surface; no special bracket required. "Non-original" cans such a Spector and Nato cans should fit fine - but you will have to test fit what you have. The cans are held in place in the mount with a canvas (or synthetic) strap.
I thought that was what set the A1/B1 variants apart, lifting rings & jerry can holders?

Woods

Explorer
Don't know if this helps, but here's what I'm using: http://shoplive.rompalicious.com/st...d=1788&zenid=8o4fp1h5k18atddb5fc28bf42g0c0fp9

I don't take my gas cans, unless I have to. These are good an low profile, for when I don't have my cans with me.

D8007.jpg

a20with20box.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer
The mounts pictured are based on the old Con-Ferr design. They work very well with the old style Blitz jerry cans with the lip on the bottom. Its good to see these back in production. I used to have one mounted to a flange built for my spare tire carrier, but I either forgot who I loaned it to or lost it. Now I know where to get another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz