MB Vario workshop manual...

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Anyone know where I could get a MB or 3rd party workshop manual for the Vario 814?

My last hope - the local dealer - said they don't sell them.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
they don't make them and haven't done for some time. All workshop information is now on the mercedes benz WIS (workshop information system) and EPC (electronic parts catalogue) software. It is a huge piece of software which is issued to MB dealers and service centres. It has all of the repair and service manuals for every recent vehicle, from an a-class car to a 32tonne actros. You can get bootleg copies on ebay but it is difficult to install correctly and is best done on a dedicated computer. If you get friendly with the local garage they may be able to print out the pages you need?

Nigel Evans

Observer
Just bought the software on ebay.

The good news - only £10

The bad news - you do want to install this on a dedicated PC running windows XP. It'll need a dual layer optical reader for the 5 DVD the software comes on. This is a massive peice of software that includes workshop manuals and parts list for all Daimler Mercedes cars and trucks.

You could see what they have on www.greebid.com
This
http://www.greebid.com/wholesale/su...-updated-by-internet-fit-all-computer-18.html
works on my Dell Inspiron laptop, it has a remote hard drive and can make it usable as a diagnostic computer for the electronics. But you have to have a slot to install a serial card, USB ports won't work.
I can plug this into my Unimog and do a complete download of faults, get schematics for faults, read actual values of all sorts of measurements, etc etc.
It also has the WIS (workshop manuals) and EPC (parts catalogues).

Charlie

Last edited:
14.5 pounds certainly is less than 422 pounds - but the ability to plug your truck into the computer and "debug it" and read faults with appropriate schematic to the fault in question, with step by step diagnosis/treatment procedures seems worth it to me, IMHO.

Charlie

Nigel Evans

Observer
Yes it works.......But you must have a compatible computer. I bought an old laptop, formatted and loaded a copy of windows xp. Great, then found out it wouldn't read dual layer DVD. managed to sort it in he end with the help of a friend. Given I'm only going to us it for the manual I think I'd have been better off letting him do a remote install.

lock

OK. I am not a unimog guy(unimog newbie), but more a computer guy. Here is my 0.2 cent: Instead of using a dedicated computer, you can use your working computer to install MB software without messing up anything. Just install something like virtualbox, install xp and the MB software in a image, done. You have to make sure you have 1) virtualbox software 2) Win xp install disc 3) enough space >40G 4) MB software. If you don't know how to do it, just ask any junior computer guy, they should know how to do it.

Now, this is my question. Since I want to learn about unimog, do you think I will be able to have very basic diagnostic and maintain ability after reading the WIS and EPC, if I don't have vehicle mechanic experience?

Thanks.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
On the install - I tried it using both VMware and the MSFT equivalent. It seemed to be trying to get to the physical MAC and knowing when it wasn't. I'll give virtualbox a go.

Re the manuals - No I would say not. It's a set of very terse descriptions for the Mercedes trained mechanics. The paper workshop manuals I've subsequently obtained (for Vario, not Unimog) are similar. Lots of pictures but almost no text. I'm not aware

There are some Unimog websites which do have good "How to" sections on them. That might be a better starting point.

jay1601

hi guys,

could one of you who has access to technical data tell me what the torque setting is for the vario wheel nuts

i have had a search online but unable to find anything useful

thanks Jay

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
hi guys,

could one of you who has access to technical data tell me what the torque setting is for the vario wheel nuts

i have had a search online but unable to find anything useful

thanks Jay

Depending on stud type:
M14x1.5 = 180Nm or
M18x1.5 = 250Nm

Should be rechecked after 10 & 50 Kms. The rears do have a reputation for working loose. So worth checking regularly and also getting those plastic arrow thingies.

I

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
BTW - I did work out how to install the WIS & EPC on a W8 PC and independent of the mac address etc.

Before you ask the obvious - it's about 40GB of data!

Now, this is my question. Since I want to learn about unimog, do you think I will be able to have very basic diagnostic and maintain ability after reading the WIS and EPC, if I don't have vehicle mechanic experience?

Thanks.

Probably not. Those electronic publications are designed for people with considerable mechanical experience already.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior