Should I buy this LR3?

Ronct110

Adventurer
I clicked on details and it says 6 cyl; I'd say keep on looking @ that high price.

No huge gain on MPG w/6 cyl compared to its 8 cyl version yet you got more power out of the 8. Stick w/the 8.

In my San Francisco Bay Area used car market, price for 2006 LR3 w/3rd row and 8 cyl goes as low as mid $17k and ave $22.9k on Craigslist.

Also for hunting, camping...; are you sure you want Black ext and Black int? I have both a 2004 LR in Java Black, and a 1990 LR in Alpine White use for camping and off-roading, and the surface heat build-up on the black one in mid day is too hot to touch if you need to pop the hood open, put load on the roof rack...

And are you familair with Land Rovers? Great vehicle but high maint; look for vehicles with good maint record and extended warranty if avail on the LR3.

Good luck!

jrose609

Explorer
7162898671_03b5b62211_z.jpg7162899563_15aba865dc_z.jpg

I may have this one for sale very soon. I have one potential buyer who is waiting on financing.....if that falls through I can let you know. If you are interested.

2006 LR3 HSE. Fully loaded
Approximately 65,000 miles
Cold weather package.
ARB front bumper
Navigation
Factory DVD system
Harmon Kardon sound
Heated windshield
HID Xenon headlights
Front AND rear seatwarmers
New Michelin tires
Etc, etc
Fully loaded

This is a very clean rig. Basically a fancy minivan for my wife. The LR3 is still under warranty until September.

Last edited:

rijosho

Adventurer
My buddy bought a 2008, green, navi, etc. last year with just over 70k miles for around $20k from a LR Dealership in NJ - the price on that 2006 you're looking at is probably about $8k too high...easily. This thing doesn't even have the Navigation or a V8! It does come with a 5 day money back guarantee, though. :rolleyes:

Do a little more price research. Hell, even KBB shows $20k for excellent from a dealer.

No idea if this link will work

http://www.kbb.com/land-rover/lr3/2...e&condition=excellent&pricetype=retail#survey

jrose609

Explorer
Does that have the rear locker?

Hope you're replacing it with a Supercharged RR.
Kevin, I wish I was getting the supercharged RR..........have to buy one of my dad's vehicles from my mom. Wish I could keep the LR3, but can't swing it.

lwg

Kevin, I wish I was getting the supercharged RR..........have to buy one of my dad's vehicles from my mom. Wish I could keep the LR3, but can't swing it.

Geez, if I'd known you were selling that I might have bought that instead of the one I got. Would've gave me a reason to head over to Boise!

spikemd

Explorer
LR3s are great vehicles and very capable in stock form. But like all rovers, they require diligent maintenance. Parts are not cheap, but you can still do a lot of work yourself. There are a lot of LR3s on the market, so be picky. Find a clean one and I highly recommend the V8 especially if you are going to take it offroad. Its nice to have the extra power and depending on how many accessories you bolt-on, you will like the extra power. If you are serious about offroading, try and find an HD (heavy duty) package which has an electronically controlled locking rear diff.

A few pics of some nice LR3s in Death Valley:
dv2011_1st_pass_lr3.jpg

dv12_d1_goler_suttle.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
LR3s are great vehicles and very capable in stock form. But like all rovers, they require diligent maintenance. Parts are not cheap, but you can still do a lot of work yourself. There are a lot of LR3s on the market, so be picky. Find a clean one and I highly recommend the V8 especially if you are going to take it offroad. Its nice to have the extra power and depending on how many accessories you bolt-on, you will like the extra power. If you are serious about offroading, try and find an HD (heavy duty) package which has an electronically controlled locking rear diff.

A few pics of some nice LR3s in Death Valley:

View attachment 104166

LOL, That's my old LR3! I agree generally about choosing the V8. It makes the LR3 feel a bit more nimble on the road, but the V6 is a really terrific engine, and the white LR3 pictured above happens to be one. It's also a coiler, but that's another story altogether...
Off road, the V6 certainly holds it own compared to the V8. It's more in tune with the tranny, and has a fantastically flat torque curve. It performs superbly off road, and might even give you slightly better range. Basically, don't let the engine be the deciding factor. I also agree that the locking rear diff is nice, but I too would not let that be the deciding factor. The traction control is phenomenal, and the locker makes certain obstacles easier, but a non-locker equipped LR3 can do all the same obstacles due to its traction control. I have considerable off road experience in both locked and non-locked versions, and have never failed an obstacle in one over the other. Ever.

The add you linked to is way over priced. For a 2006, you are looking at about $15-18k for a nice clean one under 100,000 miles. These are great rigs, supremely versatile, with outstanding cargo space and passenger comfort. However, they are a bit pricey to repair when you ding them up off road :)

I wrote an article on shopping for a used LR3 a while back. It's a bit out of date, but still might be useful:
http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/buying-a-used-lr3-v6-or-v8-which-options-cautions/

Good luck in your search!
http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/

lr3tips-header-1.jpg

Navman

Adventurer
Yeah, the maintenance on these land Rovers are expensive. I have a 2008 bought brand new with 50k miles and so far had to pay for front brake pads and two oil changes. It's killing me. :sombrero:

of course, the D1 was a different story.

jrose609

Explorer
Geez, if I'd known you were selling that I might have bought that instead of the one I got. Would've gave me a reason to head over to Boise!

Always welcome in Boise, Larry!

Very nice LR3 Jason. Let me know if you want me to post a copy on the Northern California Land Rover Club for sale section and post your contact info.

Good luck w/the sale.

Thanks, Ron

I actually have two people interested in it from this thread. But I may take you up on your offer! Thank you!

spikemd

Explorer
Yes, Nathan, that is your trusty rig in the photo. Kevin has definitely used it for what it was built for. The last Death Valley trip, he ripped off the side of the front bumper pretty good, but was able to get it back in shape on the trail. One of the downsides of the coils was more evident on our last trip when fully loaded, with water/gas/rooftop tent, etc. With the coils, his ground clearance was definitely more limited with all the weight. The air suspension LR3s had much more clearance. lBut it still made it up some difficult obstacles and looked good doing it...None of the LR3s had the heavy duty package, but if you can find it, I would go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles