Ford F554, the replacement for the H1 is here.

Liventre

Observer
No I do not. I am a drive train expert.

Liventre, do you own a Ford dealership?:ylsmoke:

Further more on the High Price point:

$35000 for a front and rear set of planetary axles.

$55,000 for a set of planetary axles with CTIS

$20,000 for a set of 5 Hutchinson internal double beadlocks with runflats and tires.

typically $20,000 for CTIS control systems.

GPFord has done an amazing job of putting this together for the cost they charge.

Also thr first edition of ANY model of any car is typically higher priced, I expect prices will go down by next year.

Price retention? this is expected to Best the 68% resale of the JK four door. Afterall there is already a line to buy these. That is excluding the collector value of the first few sold to the civilian side of the sales table.

zeke2.0

Adventurer
This beast could be a great platform for a Turtle type expedition vehicle. It definitely needs a front panoramic type camera.
Does the diesel engine on this require the use of urea like on the 250 through 450? Or is it rated as a commercial truck for offroad use.

Someone mentioned warranty support around the world. Is that something that FoMoCo supports, because I couldn't get a straight answer from
my local Ford dealer, hence they lost the sale of an extended warranty on my 2011 F-150.

Technical questions? let me know...

Could you explain why the CTIS air hose looks like it is coming out of a wheel mounting stud? Instead of the usual center of the hub (although through-hub air fittings would be much more difficult with a planetary axle-end as opposed to a Unimog style portal axle-end)?
Thanks

Charlie

Liventre

Observer
Its the way its made? Hey it works though! We are trying to establish a dealer in Alaska asap...

Could you explain why the CTIS air hose looks like it is coming out of a wheel mounting stud? Instead of the usual center of the hub (although through-hub air fittings would be much more difficult with a planetary axle-end as opposed to a Unimog style portal axle-end)?
Thanks

Charlie

El Guapo

Observer
I just don’t believe in anything Ford nor understand the fanfare behind them. If I wasn’t in the automotive manufacturing industry and didn’t know any better I would probably want one too.

really? lets hear how 'manufacturing' plays into the development and validation, and track record, and sales record of the f-series platform? SAE? pfft. anyone with a credit card can join..you have to back more your opinions than that.....

i have worked at all three of the brands you mention and will say that there are good reasons to continue to "drink from the fountain".....

nice truck! what are these running cost wise these days????

Geared Hub

That's a neat truck, the guy who runs our desert race team has a F550 motorhome/tool truck we use to tow a hummer to events.

That being said, I don't see how this is an "H1 Replacement" in any way shape or form. This ad flew around various hummer forums and had a bunch of H1 owners including a ton of people who would buy this truck going "huh?"

Aside from the hutchinson wheels and the CTIS system what's special about it?

Yes it has a much higher GVWR rating, but that's to be expected.. you are comparing a class 3 truck [Hummer] to a class 5[or 6] truck [F550] that's apples to oranges. The approach, break over and departure angle appears to be much worse on the F550, so the H1 would be more agile off road in extreme terrain.

So I wouldn't consider it a good replacement for a H1, Unimog or a MXT in that situation.

Now for something like a oil exploration truck for fracking out in remote areas, I can see the market. But it'll be a small market.

Given the cost [$100,000+], I'd probably elect to go one step further and build up a class 8 Navistar Maxforce workforce/maxpro all wheel drive 4x4 or 6x6 truck platform which is used for the maxforce MRAPS overseas. It'll have better break over and approach angles, nice suspension, and the maxforce wouldn't need DEF. Plus they can fit military tires and hutchinson wheels without modifying the fenders. I can get way more truck for the money and it's already a battle proven platform.

As for CTIS systems and working with them, I'm guessing they went through one of the studs for the airlines to avoid running a airline through the hub/axle. They still have to move it to suspension/static airline in some fashion through a seal of some sort, so I'm curious to see how that ctis is setup on the axle itself, that's the tricky part. Unless it's a dead axle, then you can use something like the Wabco or Meritor CTI kits they use to adapt trailer axles to use CTIS through the center hub.

Someone mentioned CTIS control running $20,000. If anyone here wants a system designed for much less than that and wishes to mark it up for retail, contact me via PM and I can design a system for you using serviceable parts. It's not that complicated. The kids running the bagged low riders figured out how to make a solenoid/manifold control system work for $200 so if someone can manage to sell a CTI control system for $20,000 I got a bridge to sell you :)

Liventre

Observer
Aside from the hutchinson wheels and the CTIS system what's special about it?

You missed, Geared Hubs, Double caliper brakes, 16" Rotors, Dana 80, 12,000 pound rated front axle, Dana 130 15,000 pound rated rear axle with 7:42 gear ratios on 42 or 44" tires with No lift all on 90% Ford parts. Endless Aftermarket support for engine modifications, endless upfitting companies for rear work bodies, 3600 world wide dealers, endless interior options to order on a base truck, hydraulic, electric and air accessories that can all be PTO driven. All that with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty..

Oh and you missed the CTIS is $5700.00. And it DOES go through the hub...

On Balance, Hummer H1 had a better approach angle, Better departure angle, lower entrance height, better center only ground clearance by 2 inches, but then again, its not available anymore...

Last edited:

Ron B

Explorer
It's interesting how several keep bringing up that it only has 2" less ground clearance than an h1 -- that is comparing this truck on 44's to an h1 on 37's, right?

Looks like a really cool truck. I like it, but it's apples and oranges to the trucks it's "replacing"

scrubber3

Not really here
Free advertisement..... This means we get free trucks right? :)

If so, I'll take a used Toyota.... Or a used H1 please.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Let me take this opportunity to tell everyone about a new product!!!.... "SHAMWOW" now you have to call soon, we cant keep doing this all day.....:shakin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles