Hi all. I've been lurking on the forum for months, gathering ideas and inspiration from all of your builds. It is now time to start documenting my build.
My truck had been stock until December 2011, when my old tires wore out and were replaced by 265/75 BFG All Terrains. I did some milde wheeling and the new tires rubbed a bit, so an OME lift was installed between Christmas and New Years. With added clearance, I hit some nastier trails and realized that some body protection was needed. So begins the first of my build pics.
I built a set of sliders from 2" x 1/4 wall receiver stock and 1.5 x .120 round tubing. It took about two weeks from start to install.
The square stock was cut to length, mitered and sealed shut.
Mounting brackets were made from receiver stock and 4" angle cut to size.
The brackets were welded to the main slider body and tubing was bent up to exetend the protection.
Additional bracing was cut and notched and everything was welded to the main slider body.
A pair of completed, unpainted sliders.
The sliders were painted with POR-15 paint and covered with their Chasis Coat to keep the paint from oxidizing. This paint is pretty cool. It goes on with a brush and self-levels. It dries really hard and seems to be incredibly durable. Much cheaper than powder coating and it can be touched up when needed. I don't have any pics of welding the sliders to the frame, but here is the finished product.
There is about 3/8" to 1/2" gap between the mounts and the body seam. The round tubing is about even with the outside edge of the tires.