Diesel Crusier Conversion?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I am considering a trip to CA to look at this truck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&ps=63&clkid=9036018524323223794&cmd=ViewItem

I have no experience with diesels, but this seems to be a well thoght out and well done conversion. I know the price is high, but is it really, if I compare it to what it would take to have all of this done to another 84 FJ60?

I have been looking for a vehicle like what this seems...
Reliable
Easy to maintain
lack of elctro goodies
Pull the pop up
Work around the farm
Drive to work

I am currently doing all this in my 2001 Cherokee and can continue with it, this has just peeked my interest. Since I have neraarly always been a Jeep guy, with a brief flirtation with Land Rover, I thought I would throw this out there and see what you think.

John

Expedition Leader
It would all depend on who did the conversion to me. If it was done by Proffitt's or Gerog at Valley Hybrids then it might be worth that kind of coin, but just done by an individual I would be wary. YMMV. I guess you know that a 4BT is wicked noisy and they vibrate if not carefully balanced? A great motor, but not for everyone by any means.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Its had 2 owners in 5000 miles since it was done in 08. Its not exactly the vehicle that owners want to drive and drive is it? It maybe ok ,but you would want to take a long hard look at it,preferably under the conditions you want to use it under.

I think for that money you could get a nice 60 and get someone to put something like 1HZ in it.
And then it would be totally driveable

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Cummins Diesel

I have had the opertunity to drive a 4BT cummins in a FJ60 It really depends on which 4BT is in there. The newist 4 cylinder Cummins are quiet and have about the same torque and HP as the older 6BT5.9. Having a Cummins 6BT5.9 FJ60 as a everyday driver for the last 12+ years and counting, I know the ups and downs. 25 mpg, being able to tow a boat over the Sierras in the fast lane or straping it to a tree putting the FJ60 in 1st gear Hi range 4wd and letting it sit there and turn the tires while its ideling is an up. The only down so far is it's noisier than stock but, in my book, not bad.

The 4BT I drove was slower than mine, but had adaquite torque and felt like it could climb trees.

The NV4500 is the right transmission and a good FJ60 transfer case is ok. A FJ62 transfer case is better for this engine. I drove my 6BT5.9 with a FJ60 transfercase for 8+ years with a pre-existing 160k miles before it gave up.

This is my buddies FJ60 build in my back yard. http://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-builds/453887-long-overdue-rastarig-buildup.html

Good luck with it, if you come out to Cali swing by Sacramento and drive mine.IMG_0246.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. As for the noise, well, I have been driving jeeps with soft tops and mud tires for most of my life, so noise is not the issue for me. I have checked the guys webstie and he has done a bunch of diesel conversions, but I just do not know enough to know what I don't know... make sense?

Anyone in the LA area with experience that I could pay to go check it out for me before I arrange to fly out?

Thanks,

John

teleturns

Adventurer
The bungee cord holding down the battery sealed the deal for me....BUY IT NOW! :sombrero:

KGrHqRjoE-loJJYm2BPyogPo-i60_3.jpg

There is a 4bt FJ60 in Albuquerque for $5500. It is not nearly as clean, but I went and drove it and it was ok...needed some work. I think the desire to own a 4bt cruiser has deflated due to the fact that people bad mouth 4bt's all the time. This is great for someone like me who loves 4bt's and 6bt's. But I don't think this rig is worth $22,500. I am sure someone will buy it though.....and then sell it again. I would consider it if it was 15k-17k......

Purpledawg

Observer
In the last auction, I asked it if the truck was licensed in CA and told it was not was running under TX tags. "the reason I was told the truck won't fit in the garage" was the reason for selling????,

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Cummins FJ60

I do not think you will be able to smog the 4BT in Cali. The 6bt yes becouse it came out of a Cali smogged truck.

fastring

Smog in CA no problem as long as its 1997 or older. The route to go is to use the form (forget the #) that is the vehicle inspection, one of the options is mode of operation (or similar). The check box options include: gas, diesel, hybrid, steam (serious), etc. You have the inspector check "diesel". Then you go in and register it and as its 1997 or older, no smog check, so no bar check. I did that on an 87 samurai with a european VW diesel. The inspectors have no idea if its a US diesel or not, they just want to hear it run so that it clatters and they, in good faith, can check "diesel". Took 5 minutes, no more smog!

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Snoozed and lost out... bummer. I did, however convince the wife that this might be a reasonable route to go, so it was good for that...

Thanks to all who offered good advice. I am quite interested now and may look into finding a 60 or 62 and working with profitts... we'll see.

Thanks,

John

BreckBJ44

Observer
You dodged a bullet Neo...

First, When you install a cummins, you need at least 4" of lift. Check out the picture of the undercarriage where the oil pan is about an inch from the axle. Not too much stuff room on that side! I won't bash any more of the serious issues as that should be enough of a deal breaker.

Second, save your cash and buy a BJ or HJ60 in Canada for half the price if not better. Stock engine, and no PO crap to deal with.

If you wanted to get an engine swapped into an FJ60 (there are a ton of cheap and nice ones in California), also check out Justin at Red Line Land Cruiser's work. Some of the best stuff being done today.

my .02

alia176

Explorer
I know that I'm late to the party but was wondering about something. Why do a high percentage of converted landcruisers end up going up on the auction block? I've seen this with 60 and 80 series cruisers in the last two years. This is a major undertaking and a serious commitment on the owner's part. Was it due to disenchantment or over budget or something else? The economy probably plays a large part in this but I'd love to hear some real reasons, not speculations!

JohnnyS

Explorer
Smog in CA no problem as long as its 1997 or older. The route to go is to use the form (forget the #) that is the vehicle inspection, one of the options is mode of operation (or similar). The check box options include: gas, diesel, hybrid, steam (serious), etc. You have the inspector check "diesel". Then you go in and register it and as its 1997 or older, no smog check, so no bar check. I did that on an 87 samurai with a european VW diesel. The inspectors have no idea if its a US diesel or not, they just want to hear it run so that it clatters and they, in good faith, can check "diesel". Took 5 minutes, no more smog!

I heard that they recently closed that "loophole", they are trying get everyone onboard with the new diesels running the addditive. Hence CA P&G auctioning their old fleet off outside of CA.
The AZ plates lead me to believe it they ran into issues registering it in CA.
However either way the bungee cord and lack of attention to detail in so many areas are probably indicative of no bueno.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I know that I'm late to the party but was wondering about something. Why do a high percentage of converted landcruisers end up going up on the auction block? I've seen this with 60 and 80 series cruisers in the last two years. This is a major undertaking and a serious commitment on the owner's part. Was it due to disenchantment or over budget or something else? The economy probably plays a large part in this but I'd love to hear some real reasons, not speculations!

We can only speculate because owners dont generally come onto forums and pour their heart and soul out over why their swap is being sold off way below cost.

A lot of people start off with a cheap engine and then try and make it fit rather than get an engine that is designed for their landcruiser .Other reasons are that the swap hasnt been really finished because they have run into a brick wall getting the small details finalised.
Sometimes the engine is not suited for a passenger vehicle which requires low rpms at freeway speeds.
I think potential swappers should pay the extra and get a Toyota diesel that is much easier to install and more satisfying to drive .It might cost more,but the resale will be better.
There are some good non Toyota swaps out there,but they require more thought.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles