Eezi Awn Bat 270

ab1985

Explorer
Does anyone have any real world feedback on this awning? Seems that deployment is a bit more streamlined than the foxwing but still can't stomach that price tag.

jeremyk

Adventurer
I'm seriously looking at it, but it does not look like it extends all around the side of the truck so that it is perpendicular to the truck, that might make it less efficient.

I sent them an email offering my Trail Teams Fj to be a demo platform for the Expo, but unfortunately - no reply

ab1985

Explorer
That is one of my concerns. Seems like the edges of the awning are at a 45 instead of a 90 from the side and rear of the truck. For my application that would be a deal breaker.

rshuckfinn

Adventurer
I would really like to get one too. They are releasing the Manta next month. The manta is similar to the Bat however it covers more area. I would wait and look at that one. I am sure Paul at Equipt would be happy to give you feedback based on his experience with both.

They are pricy but if you will use it they are well worth it. If you only plan on using it once or twice a year I would get the fox wing.

jeremyk

Adventurer
That is one of my concerns. Seems like the edges of the awning are at a 45 instead of a 90 from the side and rear of the truck. For my application that would be a deal breaker.
I agree with that; it would take up the space on the side of the truck but only really cover the rear corner very well. I checked out the Eezi Awn site and their pictures show that a little better. I want side coverage to chill and rear coverage for access to the interior without getting wet.

jeremyk

Adventurer
Oh, wow - just ran across the Hannibal Spyder: http://hannibal-safari-usa.mybigcommerce.com/contact/ (scroll down). Looks like the same draw back on shape but another interesting option nonetheless.

Interesting, but no price. They look stout enough, but I would need more details (and a right side option). Prepay.

Made in ZA, they have the usual assortment of cool stuff somebody should make here. I might consider their 2.4m awning and rig up something for the rear for when I need it.

I like to no pole idea, but your rack had better be able to take the torque involved in any wind gust you might encounter...

ab1985

Explorer
I agree with that; it would take up the space on the side of the truck but only really cover the rear corner very well. I checked out the Eezi Awn site and their pictures show that a little better. I want side coverage to chill and rear coverage for access to the interior without getting wet.
Yep, I spend most of my time near the tailgate where the kitchen is located. I like the idea of covered space on the side of the vehicle as well but not at the expense of having to cook in the rain. Below is a one of my notes from my 4Runner build that I was never able to work through. Trying to revisit this concept for the Land Cruiser I'm about to start on.

Drawing2.jpg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I guess we can figure on pretty much any 270deg awning following the same basic design layout with the 45deg angles at both ends.

It's just the nature of the beast unless someone adds extra foldout material to provide square coverage at the front and back.

Here's a dimensional drawing of the Foxwing, same basic shape with the vehicle being positioned in the blank square area...

31100-Dimensions-Imperial.png

EDIT: Looking at this tiny pic from Equipt's website I think the Manta may just well have squared ends, or at least one squared end. Still, that's basically low-end RTT money for an awning...
http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Ba...530927-eezi-awn-manta-270-degree-awning-right
220Manta_zps343945c1.png

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
Yes, the front side does look square. Too bad it's not the other way around. But like you said, that cost is getting up there. I think I could do a side and rear Hannibal with a one off connection for much less than that.

jeremyk

Adventurer
Yep, I spend most of my time near the tailgate where the kitchen is located. I like the idea of covered space on the side of the vehicle as well but not at the expense of having to cook in the rain. Below is a one of my notes from my 4Runner build that I was never able to work through. Trying to revisit this concept for the Land Cruiser I'm about to start on.

Drawing2.jpg

I like it! Looks entirely functional.

fireball

Explorer
Anyone have any personal experience with the Bat or the Manta? Really cool design, looks to be super easy setup and packup.

kb7our

Explorer
Anyone have any personal experience with the Bat or the Manta? Really cool design, looks to be super easy setup and packup.

I have the Bat from Paul at Equipt mounted to the driver's side of my Jeep and have used it many times. I like the fact that the legs are built in and the whole thing can be "easily" deployed in a couple of minutes. Ad a few more minutes if you need to stake down the legs. Coverage down the side and back of Jeep is great. You need a stout mount since it is somewhat heavy. Mine is attached to an AEV roof rack.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior