NATO Style Steel Wheels

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know of a good NATO type steel wheel that will fit the Montero? I'm having a hard time finding anything because of the large hub size...

Thanks! :)

No familiar with what the NATO style wheels look like. Got a pic?

FWIW, if they fit a 6 lug Toyota LC axle with manual hubs they should also fit a Montero.

Last edited:

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Toyota Tundra, Tacoma and 4Runner wheels from the late 90's to early '05 were available in the 6-lug, 16" and 17" rim bands with approximately the same spider as depicted on the later 5-lug LandCruiser. The Toyota rims will fit the Montero hub no problem, just be aware that the rims have significant backspacing.

Clem

Adventurer
Montero Sport Spare Tire?

Does anyone know if the Montero Sport come with a steel spare or alloy spare?

Might be a place to look, if it came with a steel spare.

HTH

Clem

Monterorider

Adventurer
Toyota steel wheels won't fit Gen 2 but might work on Gen 1. I don't know for sure. Offset/backspacing is actually pretty good. 15mm on Toyota v 10 mm for example on Montero 7" alloys

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
My experience is solely with Gen I Montero/Raider and Gen II Mighty Max. Clarification will help narrow the desired product search.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yes. Loong time ago I bought set of steel wheels from Tundra. Center bore didn't fit by just mm or 2. Could be machined of course. I think I've seen Gen 1 sporting LandCruiser / 4Runner wheels. Got no personal experience.

Ah, ok. When you said toyota doesn't fit I thought you were saying all Toyota rims won't fit since I'm suggesting the landcruiser Wheels possibly..:)

Both gen I and gen II have the large hubs so you need the large center bore (108mm IIRC)

UPDATE the Landcruiser center bore is only 106mm, however the Sequioa rims will likely fit as they are the same bolt pattern and center bore (ref. http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern-Cross-Reference-Database.asp)
:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Monterorider

Adventurer
Land cruiser wont fit either. I've tried since I've had one handy. Just for sake of trying. First Gen Sequioa had same rims as Tundra as far as I know. As well as according to your link Ray. Current Sequioa has large bore but obviously won't work because it's 5 bolt.

roaming knome

Observer
I am currently running Toyota FJ rims with 245/75/17
They are 17" though, they are heavy but look cool and tire selection is limited unless you want to run 35's or larger. Planning to upgrade to 255/80/17 BFG KM/2

For visual curiosity and confirmation:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339777225.898238.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339777240.958549.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339777256.239414.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339777306.931140.jpg

roaming knome

Observer
That is exactly the style I'm looking for. Have you had any issues with rubbing while turning lock to lock or suspension travel issues? Are you running stock suspension?

Where did you find your rear light guards?

Also noticed you front bumper doesn't have the two rubber "stopps" that mine does on the front:

View attachment 105748

No issues what so ever! The wheels are great, howeer like I said before, they are heavy and the wheel combo (tire/rim) has slowed the montero down significantly. The 3.0 is on it's way out. Anyways, I am running stock suspension no lift and no rub. I have taken it on trails and even flexed as much as the stock suspension can, no rub. You will notice a Loss of power though.
I bought the montero with those light guards on it already. I think the front bumper has seen better days. I believe it has been in an accident or 2 before I purchased it. The front fender has been replaced and that is probably why the front bumper is missing the bumper stops.

roaming knome

Observer
the 16" version is slightly different. They are for the early model tundra and gen 2.5/3 Tacoma. I believe the offset is the same or very close, but the only difference might be the hub diameter which is mentioned in some of the earlier posts. The rim looks deeper on the 16" as well. If you want something that you know will work and cheap, I would go with the FJ steelies. You can find them for as low as $200 or less for all 4 on Craigslist. That's where I found mine. However you will have a better selection from the 16" rim.
I love the color of my Montero as well. I think the weather has some effect on it as well, but if I could repaint it I would paint it the exact same color.

deadbeat son

Explorer
^

As RK mentioned, the FJ Cruiser steel wheels are all 17". However, as the center bores fit just perfectly over my 2nd Generation Tacoma hubs, I would imagine you could piece together a set of 16" black steel 2nd Gen Tacoma spares, which, for all intents and purposes, look almost the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94