NATO Style Steel Wheels

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Sort of difficult to tell from small photo, but the center bore looks much smaller than 108mm.

Clem
I've found the easiest way to tell by looking is to see where the center bore is in relation to the surface where the lug bolt/nut head is. If it almost touches that surface (within 1/16") then it's 108mm. If it's not almost touching, it's smaller than 108 mm.
108mm
big.jpg

Less than 108mm
$(KGrHqV,!oEE8VRLFcS1BPMtn2wdP!~~60_35.JPG

108mm
$(KGrHqN,!g0E9ql5QjriBPorEnB5O!~~60_35.JPG

Less than 108mm
sota_flatblack_6lug_white.jpg

Less than 108mm
detail_1345_WA-6lug-single.jpg

Hopefully you get the idea.:)

Last edited:

GFO

Observer
FJ cruiser 17 inch steelies should fit. They have a 108mm center bore like our Montero's. FJ cruiser and Sequoia's are different than the standard Toyota center bore.

And there would be no issues clearing the calipers or other problems?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
And there would be no issues clearing the calipers or other problems?
Calipers shouldn't be an issue since the stock rims are only 15" dia.

What could be an issue is the offset not being right causing the tires to rub on the fenders.

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Sort of difficult to tell from small photo, but the center bore looks much smaller than 108mm.

Yeah they were on an old 88 4Runner and my uncle also had them on a Gen 1 Trooper. I am not sure about the bore on them, I just really liked how they polished up and never got banged up.

I was looking up info and if the information is correct the factory bore on the rims was 111mm. Again I have no proof or anything just what I have found online.

yugo308guy

Observer
Well this all has me a little confused. The picture below shows the spare that is on my Gen 1. Is this not original to the vehicle? If not, anyone know what it is?
35laz6b.jpg

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
That is the original spare wheel found on the 90 and 91 model Monteros. The same rim was used on the 80s Mighty Max and D50 trucks with a hub cap. Outside the US, that may have been the base grade wheel, as seen in many period pictures found on the internet. It is also known as an 'appliance' wheel, filling the same space as the 17" Toyota wheel discussed above.

ca18_sean

Adventurer
Not to nit pick, but the 17 inch Toyota steel wheel came on a certain model FJ cruiser. It wasn't the spare. They even have Toyota center caps.

img_0216.jpg

The 16 inch black Toyota steelie was the spare on 4Runners and Tacomas (and has a 106mm center bore) and was stored underneath the truck. This guy has a set of 4 spare steel wheels powdercoated white on his Tacoma.

7089110309_3bf65024f9_b.jpg

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Filling the same 'space' not meant as a spare, just referring to the entry wheel, rather than the upscale stuff. I see that my statement was vague.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
corsaoceano- Do you know the weight of each wheel or could you weigh them before you put tires on them? I like this look but my future montero will be more about DD than hardcore off road so adding a ton of un-sprung weight won't help that.

Do you know what tire size you'll be using? I could see these with some 235/85/16's like on that tacoma being a good expedition look/DD friendly set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz