GM fan clutch

High Center

Adventurer
Apologies to the purist in our company.

My stock fan clutch was dead and I was beginning to get the worrisome heat spikes in traffic and off road. After researching the alternatives I decided to try the GM unit (....research seldom leads to GM, I know....) I made the decision based on: availability, effectiveness and finally- cost.
I installed the $42 super duty (I think that's what it's called) GM fan clutch in my 96 D1 about a week ago and I'm happy to say it works like a charm. The noise is considerable at low speeds but that's because of the huge volume of air that is being moved. As the truck reaches hwy speeds the noise is hardly noticeable.

My heating problems are gone- which certainly would have happened with a OEM part as well- and I'm happy with the way it has worked out.

Best,
DB

JeremyT101

Adventurer
That is good to hear. I have been thinking that with a hot summer already here my stock and either stuck or semi-freewheeling fan clutch is definately due for replacement. I read about the gm unit on a different land river forum. I may have to give it a shot.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
According to L/R the D1 (89-98), Defender (87-06) and RRC (92-94) are the same so these should fit them all (I've only tried them on my D1 V8)

Fan Clutch
(36mm hex)​
Std Duty
Imperial​
215157​
Severe duty​
Imperial​
215158​
Hvy duty​
Hayden​
2991​
Metal Fan Blade​
Imperial​
220618​
Imperial clutch uses larger fan blade bolts (10mm I think)
Hayden uses the OE bolts
Imperial fan blade requires the blades to be trimmed about 1/8"

Edit: corrected Std duty PN to 215157

Last edited:

dieselandmud

Adventurer
Your over all mpg will drop some. Save the OEM clutch for winter time.

BTW If anyone is interested in this set up, I have a Imperial HD clutch for sale with the OEM fan and correct bolts. Ready to install. $45 shipped

Last edited:

sven

Adventurer
I paid about 34 bucks for the Imperial 215257 fan clutch from advanced auto parts. I used an online code "retmenot123" and picked it up at the store. Bolts are M10X1.5X15mm, you can find these in the help section listed as GM torque converter bolts. Oh, and the fan clutch was made in the USA!

Last edited:

SteveG

Adventurer
The noise is considerable at low speeds but that's because of the huge volume of air that is being moved. As the truck reaches hwy speeds the noise is hardly noticeable.

I'm guessing by the price that this is an aftermarket clutch. If you buy an AC Delco brand clutch, it will likely function better an not be on at low speeds when the engine is not hot.

Daryl

Adventurer
If you buy an AC Delco brand clutch, it will likely function better an not be on at low speeds when the engine is not hot.

Or just not buy some $40 cheap Chinese made knock off at AutoZone. I spent $100 on something that was obviously of high quality at a "real" parts store (you know, the kind actual garages buy parts from) and have had no issues nor lost any "mileage" (a joke to even discuss in the same sentence as these trucks) over the last year.

Yes, you do get what you pay for when you buy cheap. And if you spend some real money you might get what you pay for. If you spend some real money and actually know what you are buying you WILL get what you pay for.

SteveG

Adventurer
Or just not buy some $40 cheap Chinese made knock off at AutoZone. I spent $100 on something that was obviously of high quality at a "real" parts store (you know, the kind actual garages buy parts from) and have had no issues nor lost any "mileage" (a joke to even discuss in the same sentence as these trucks) over the last year.

I work at an auto repair shop and refuse to install any aftermarket fan clutches unless there is a major budget issue. Even the "good" clutches from "real" parts stores are junk. They turn on too often and just don't work as well.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Hayden/Imperial are a division of SMP and the fan clutches (and oil coolers) are made in Grapevine, TX. In addition to replacement clutches, they are OES for car companies.

SteveG

Adventurer
In addition to replacement clutches, they are OES for car companies.

That doesn't mean much these days. Just because a manufacturer supplies parts to car makers, doesn't mean they supply the same part to auto parts stores. I wish that was the case. It would make my job a lot easier. Unfortunately it's not. Same manufacturer, NOT the same part. Although the parts stores will try to tell you differently. Until you call them on it. Then they'll back pedal.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
My standard duty Imperial seems to do just fine.
The severe duty Imperial does engage more, but I'd expect that to be the case.

High Center

Adventurer
"Apologies to the purist in our company."

I meant this to apply to LR purist but I will expand it to include parts opinionist as well.

Yes, you do get what you pay for when you buy cheap. And if you spend some real money you might get what you pay for. If you spend some real money and actually know what you are buying you WILL get what you pay for.

Daryl

Adventurer
"Apologies to the purist in our company."

I meant this to apply to LR purist but I will expand it to include parts opinionist as well.

If you've spent any time wrenching professionally you would understand that cheap chain parts store parts failing early is not an opinion, it's a fact. Best of luck to you in any case. It wasn't meant as a personal slight against you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles