exploring North America in a GXV

foxhunter

Adventurer
So I should be getting my GXV shortly, based on a U500 and I believe the height is going to be 12ft 6 in. Before my wife and I head out in it, we were wondering if there is any kind of book or website that tells you where the low bridges are. I have one near my home and if I didn't know it was there it would be difficult to back up and turn around and I would then have to take a long detour. I can see this happening to me in many other places in the US and Canada. I also wondered if there is anything that tells you where all the diesel fuel stations are. Finally, Does anyone have a recommendation for a good source for finding Boondocking sites around the country?

rblackwell

Adventurer
I believe Garmin sell a "Truckers" Canada/US map for their Nuvi GPS that has truck route info. At many Love fuel stops you will find a "truckers" road atlas.

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
We have used the AllStays Camp & RV 4.3 app. We have found it to be pretty accurate and it is updated frequently.

Congratulations on your new rig! Enjoy your travels and maybe we'll see you "out there".

foxhunter

Adventurer
thanks guys. She is basically all done, except when we saw the protective Rails Rob Blackwell put on his, we had to have them as well , and they are backordered. Larry at GXV is installing a Ham radio for me this week as well.

syke

Adventurer
Like Rob said, stop at any truck stop in the US and you will find a "motor carriers atlas". I have one from 2004 and it is still rather accurate.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
There is an APP for the iPhone, and likely for the other smart phones as well, that will show you were all of the biofuel stations are in the country. That may be of interest for you. I know that Jay Shapiro said he used that app while he was running around in the EcoRoamer.

rblackwell

Adventurer
At the risk of suggesting the obvious - you should actually measure the height of your GXV.

Our GXV/Mog is just under 13 feet (12' 10.5" - 12' 11.5 depending on ground slope) - 12' to the top of the camper box, 2-3" for the rails.
In our case the A/C unit and the small raised lip it sits on adds the addition 10" - 11".

So I should be getting my GXV shortly, based on a U500 and I believe the height is going to be 12ft 6 in. Before my wife and I head out in it, we were wondering if there is any kind of book or website that tells you where the low bridges are. I have one near my home and if I didn't know it was there it would be difficult to back up and turn around and I would then have to take a long detour. I can see this happening to me in many other places in the US and Canada. I also wondered if there is anything that tells you where all the diesel fuel stations are. Finally, Does anyone have a recommendation for a good source for finding Boondocking sites around the country?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles