Sleeping in back w/ bed liner coating?

Smith

Does anyone have any bad experience with sleeping in the bed of their rhino-lined truck bed with a cap on? Or any other truck bed liner product to stay away from? off-gassing from heat, too grippy, etc.

I'd rather not sleep somewhere that constantly smells like rubber...

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
I've slept in the back of my truck a couple of times with the line-x. I usually just use my air mattress, though. I find it a lot nice than sleeping in a tent, especially around our parts with bears and such. You can get a cheap air mattress at Target or Wally World WITH a pump for about $30. I've had mine for 2 years now and still haven't had to patch it, lol.

Smith

Awesome, yeah I've slept quite a bit in the back of my truck, just curious if anyone's noticed any weird odors with the bed coating being that it's enclosed.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger but thought I'd ask bc it's a deal breaker if I can't sleep there anymore...and removal can't be easy

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
i'd imagine that if you have windows on the cap, it wouldnt be much of a problem. but i've neved heard of liners giving off fumes..

Jimmeh

i'd imagine that if you have windows on the cap, it wouldnt be much of a problem. but i've neved heard of liners giving off fumes..

When they are first sprayed, they give off a pretty pungent odor, but I wouldn't call it "deadly" (I think my butt blasts would classify as a deadly gas in a confined space ;D). It'll collect pretty good under a topper, so I would also suggest letting it air out by keeping the windows open, or by taking the cap off for a bit if it's a newer spray. Otherwise, go for it!

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I used to sleep in the back of my truck with a drop in liner. I never seemed to.... Um, felt, or I mean sensed, a uh... What was the question again? :sombrero:

I've got Line-X in my Tacoma now. I don't sleep back there, 5 foot bed- 6 foot body. Noticed a smell right after it was sprayed in but not for long. Again it is open to the wind etc so no build up of fumes. I hope someone chimes in who has a cap closing in their spray lined bed.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
My Linex is only two months old......my cap has been on for a few weeks,,,, I slept in for two nights
two weekends ago and didn't notice any smell...

Smith

Thanks fellas, just wanted to confirm. I'll be scheduling it in the coming weeks. I need to start up a build thread at some point.

I had a rubber horse stall mat I threw in the back when I had a TC at one point and it ALWAYS gave off a strong rubber odor whenever it heated up...

Jimmeh

Keep in mind, with a topper on the truck, the liner will not necessarily be in direct sun light, and probably not heat up enough to give off the odor, if any.

Last edited:

motrhed

Observer
I've slept in the back of a few of my pick-ups with a spray-in liner and have never had an issue with off gassing odors (from the bed liner). Then again, I never had a canopy on within a month of the liner being sprayed. I used to use an air mattress but found that the cold would transfer right through and into me so I upgraded to a 4" foam mattress - way better, more comfortable, and much warmer!

KA5IVR

Observer
I have the Line X coating with a Tonneau Cover. I've never noticed any Off Gasing smells after it has been sealed up for awhile and never had a sticky problem. I would sleep back there. Good Question!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles