Mortonm's 2001 Xterra Build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looking at the pics of the old shocks they were definitely past due for a replacement eh. Good choice, Bilsteins are a great all around shock.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I'm liking all that you have done with your truck. Nice job on the shocks and the BFG 235!:elkgrin:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I'm liking all that you have done with your truck. Nice job on the shocks and the BFG 235!:elkgrin:

Thank you! Its tough to take it easy and sit back and look at what you really need. For my current needs I don't need 33 inch mud tires or skids or a winch bumper.

The unfortunate reality is that for most of my miles I'm on pavement and not gravel.

But I try my best to make simple mods that are functional and help me on and offroad. Its tough not to get the credit card out and go crazy.

Thank you! Its tough to take it easy and sit back and look at what you really need. For my current needs I don't need 33 inch mud tires or skids or a winch bumper.

The unfortunate reality is that for most of my miles I'm on pavement and not gravel.

But I try my best to make simple mods that are functional and help me on and offroad. Its tough not to get the credit card out and go crazy.

I'm in the same boat, dreaming is a blast though, haha. Nice color!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I'm in the same boat, dreaming is a blast though, haha. Nice color!

Haha oh I dream. Perfect for me would be an arb front with a winch, hepdep rack, rear arb locker. 1.5 inch lift. Same size 235 85 although probably some duratracs this time around for a little better mud performance and a fridge. Then just some time and money to explore

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Not too much to report this week however I did pick up a brand new set of rotors and pads off of kijiji. The pads and rotors were done on my truck just before I bought it so I shouldn't need the parts for awhile. I picked them up and 4 plastic hub caps for $100. I have broken one of the caps already and they aren't always easy to locate or find used and are nearly $100 from the dealership.

This weekend my borther and I are heading to our cottage to do a little exploring and hiking. Same area that we visited this summer. Weather looks okay but not the amount of snow we were hoping that would be on the ground. Should still be able to find a little mud though!

Will be sure to update with pictures in a week

mortonm

Expedition Leader
crappy cell phone picture but we picked up our Christmas tree last night (little behind)

getting all packed up for the weekend. head out in 72 hours!

IMG-20121210-00048.jpg

mortonm

Expedition Leader
we didnt end up making our trip this last weekend, although not all bad. I have been looking for a second more active dog to take hiking and on camping trips, the perfect dog came along this weekend at the local humane society. He is two, and a cocker-spaniel poodle cross. His name is Jack, he is about 20 lbs and loves to run!

IMG-20121217-00095_zps8d1c5824.jpg

I did manage to find a little dirt this weekend though!

IMG-20121217-00096_zps2c154855.jpg

IMG-20121217-00097_zps5cf2cc34.jpg

I am thinking it might be time for some steering component replacement. Tie rod ends and ball joints maybe? are there any known issues with these Xterras? just starting to feel like it wanders a lot more at highway speed, more play in the steering wheel.

Moog parts considered a good replacement for these? any better aftermarket solutions?

Slicky72

Adventurer
Yup moog is good. If you can get an extra set of eyes , jack the front end up and give the wheels a good shake about. Check for play in the tierod ends , idler arm and center link. My guess is it is the center link or idler arm bushings. From what I have read most guys don't end up replacing the tierod ends until they decide to upgrade the adjusters as well . The adjusters are weak link in the system and can leave you in bad spot if they fail on the trail.

Nice looking pup, and a good size for truck travel.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Silver looks good dirty!
If I'm not mistaken that issue you describe is rather common, I'm sure there's a wealth of info on the Xterra forums.

Nice looking dog btw, I have a cocker mix myself which we rescued. He's 8 or so, and his name is Ringo. They're great dogs.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Yup moog is good. If you can get an extra set of eyes , jack the front end up and give the wheels a good shake about. Check for play in the tierod ends , idler arm and center link. My guess is it is the center link or idler arm bushings. From what I have read most guys don't end up replacing the tierod ends until they decide to upgrade the adjusters as well . The adjusters are weak link in the system and can leave you in bad spot if they fail on the trail.

Nice looking pup, and a good size for truck travel.

Thank you. Ill take a look at the idler arm and center link. Have acces to a two post hydraulic lift so shouldn't be too difficult to check for play. Thanks he is a great size and so calm in the vehicle. He was a stray so I was worried!
Silver looks good dirty!
If I'm not mistaken that issue you describe is rather common, I'm sure there's a wealth of info on the Xterra forums.

Nice looking dog btw, I have a cocker mix myself which we rescued. He's 8 or so, and his name is Ringo. They're great dogs.

Yup. Haven't met a happier dog and just wants to play and run ... Thankfully he also likes to sleep!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Everytime I see your truck I regret not getting 235/85/16. While I love the 245/75/16 Duratracs I have, I think the 235/85 would've been even better. When loaded for a weekend and aired down every 1/2" counts :)

Good on you for rescuing Fido, we have one too. He's 1yr old now and I swear he's got OME springs for feet- he's always bouncing off the walls.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Everytime I see your truck I regret not getting 235/85/16. While I love the 245/75/16 Duratracs I have, I think the 235/85 would've been even better. When loaded for a weekend and aired down every 1/2" counts :)

Good on you for rescuing Fido, we have one too. He's 1yr old now and I swear he's got OME springs for feet- he's always bouncing off the walls.

would you have been able to fit 235/85R16 with your lift?

i have gone back and forth about whether i would get these again ( I also like the 245/75R16 size a lot). But I have no lift and 12 year old springs and torsion bars, the tires fit without any issue. I had to trim a small piece off the front plastic behind the wheels and removed both mud flaps (didnt want anyways).

So I think I will stay with these. I really like the 215/85R16 size a lot as well(same height as 245/75) but they look better on smaller older vehicles (Jeep XJ, first gen pathfinder etc). I think they would look too skinny for my Xterra.

Short of everything else they at least do look ************

stioc

Expedition Leader
I don't think the fitment is an issue from the lift perspective it is though from the wheel backspacing perspective since the strut sits very close to the wheel. Which is why I went with the size I went and leave myself enough room to run the snow chains too. But 32 or 33 sure would've been nice since the ground clearance on these trucks is a bit too low for my taste considering a "cushy" Land Rover LR4 has 12" of it with a touch of a button and I only have a pidly 8.8" under the diff.

Oh and I too have a wandering, loose feeling steering wheel. I couldn't tell any play in the tie rods, I was told by the tire shop when they did the alignment that the rack internally has some play in it though it could be the inner tie-rod too.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I don't think the fitment is an issue from the lift perspective it is though from the wheel backspacing perspective since the strut sits very close to the wheel. Which is why I went with the size I went and leave myself enough room to run the snow chains too. But 32 or 33 sure would've been nice since the ground clearance on these trucks is a bit too low for my taste considering a "cushy" Land Rover LR4 has 12" of it with a touch of a button and I only have a pidly 8.8" under the diff.

Oh and I too have a wandering, loose feeling steering wheel. I couldn't tell any play in the tie rods, I was told by the tire shop when they did the alignment that the rack internally has some play in it though it could be the inner tie-rod too.

it gets more expenssive if you have to source new wheels as well as tires. the stock size for my 01 was 255 65 R 16, so a 29. So I got quite a boost, i dont think my rear diff clearance was much better than yours.

for me a 31x9.5 would be perfect, but nothing is made in the size unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94