This is the begining

KELLEVRA

Observer
is that winch tray made by westin?

I know they make one, but never seen an acutal photo of one before

Naaaa thats redneck inginuity:ylsmoke:

it will be removed hopefully tomorrow for a full size old school winch bumper i picked up on CL
im always worried I'm gonna clip one of my front fenders on a tree or rock or import......................:yikes:

KELLEVRA

Observer
Winch bumper

I had all intent on installing my new(used) bumper on the front of my F250 But I threw out my back on Saturday :oops: and that just messed up my plans. Well maybe next weekend

KELLEVRA

Observer
New Additions to the family

although I didnt install my bumper I was able to go out of town to pick up something else close to my heart
Jims 9-11-12 002.jpg
1991 TW200

and a 1999 KLR650 that I traded my CJ7 for
KLR 003.jpg

:bike_rider:

KELLEVRA

Observer
Rack work

got a little work done on the rack, still some to do but not much, I ended up building mounts to hold four 5 Gal. cans in locked racks, and I also added two 6 in. PVC tubes for long item storage IE: fishing poles, or tent/awning poles. I also added a solar panel to the top along with a PA speaker. Let me know what ya think
Thanks Jim

copies 002.jpgcopies 009.jpgcopies 001.jpgcopies 005.jpgcopies 012.jpgcopies 009.jpgcopies 005.jpgcopies 004.jpg

Attachments

• copies 003.jpg
    copies 003.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 4
  • copies 006.jpg
    copies 006.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 4

Shiryas

Adventurer
Kellevra,

Nice build, there are a lot of us on here with the OBS Fords. Mine is also a 97 but F350 CCLB Diesel.

I looked through a lot of builds and read a ton of stuff and bought parts for two different swaps on my truck. Initially I was going to do the RSK and found a package deal for front & rear springs and the 'Old' Sky kit. (Sky now has two kits and PMF is making a bolt on kit) Here are a couple of threads about those set ups.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129872&highlight=rsk

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134754&highlight=rsk

Then I noticed a lot of guys going to the 05+ Axles with coils up front. I was interested, but I also had a pile of parts in the garage and while it had other benefits such as 4 way discs with parking brake, improved turning radius and wider axles I just did not feel the need to re task the project. That is until I stumbled on a rolling frame with everything for $1400. So I sold off the RSK stuff and changed the project over. (Here are a few of the swaps others have done)

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94...32-2006-axle-swap-complete-lots-pictures.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94...ssion/210067-05-axle-swap-novice-attempt.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94...scussion/203116-06-axle-swap-whole-story.html

I had my axles re-geared with 3:73's, installed Trutrac's front and rear and had the ball joints and u-joints replaced. We had hoped to have my truck done before the Baja 1000 this year but had too many irons in the fire and we will be doing the swap in about two weeks.

Two pictures of start and finish from a couple of weeks ago. The shop is not mine, its actually one of our rural unmanned fire stations, it has the space and as long as I clean it up, I can use it.

I do not think you are going to like the TTB with a lift pack. The springs are stiff and adding more of them is not going to improve your ride. You may be able to get National or Deaver to re-arch your current springs but you are still left with a front shackle type suspension. I do not think everything needs to have a D60 put in it, but for your truck and swap I think thats the way to go, both dollar wise and ease of installation. A lot of people have already solved the problems you will encounter.

Bang for the buck I also think the RSK is worth it. BFTank just did a nice DIY one.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pdate-4-28-12-mounted-winch-on-explorer/page9

The rack looks great and with those fab skills you should be right on track with one of these swaps.

Cheers, Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Bare Axles.jpg
    Bare Axles.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 6

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Kellevra,

Nice build, there are a lot of us on here with the OBS Fords. Mine is also a 97 but F350 CCLB Diesel.

I sold off the RSK stuff and changed the project over.

I love what you are doing to your '97, but I am very pleased with your hand me down Sky kit! It is, as you said, probably the best bang for buck. Would I love the coils and modern brakes etc? Sure. Did I have time for it? Not this time... Make sure you keep us updated on the '05 transplant.

Love the rack kellevra. Maybe I'll see you next time we're at Pismo.

bftank

Explorer
hijack on, shiryas when are you going to start a build thread for your beast?! hijack off. sweet f250 kellevra. take your time and do it right the first time.

KELLEVRA

Observer
Thank you

Thanks a lot for both the really cool links on the conversions, and the thumbs up. Im trying to get the truck ready for a shackdown run up to courtright reservoir, Yosimite, over to 395 to Bishop, Bigpine to pick up a piano, then home, Wish me luck:smiley_drive:

KELLEVRA

Observer
trailer

i had a friend give me an old trailer so itll be my camping trailer for a short time , but first gotta get ride of that 20" tounge

112512 001.jpg

Thank goodness for friends with welders

112512 010.jpg

maybe a little overkill but itll do for a while

112512 003.jpg112512 004.jpg112512 007.jpg112512 011.jpg
Adam just had to try his hand at grinding for the first time, and he did a great job.......

Will have it up-side right Monday:wings:

Last edited:

KELLEVRA

Observer
Death Valley trip

so, Becky(my wife),Adam(my 9 yr old son, Myself, and of course Jack finally got a chance to take my truck somewhere other than work, I loaded up and headed for 395 territory. Went to Big Pine first to see my wives grandmother (Nana in the mountains). first step out of the truck I hit ice and "Whoop" I was on my back looking up wondering what truck just hit me,damn near dislocated my shoulder, and stabbed myself with my keys. A good start :smilies27 needless to say it was cold 12 degress

death valley trip 001.jpg

Then from there we headed out for death Valley and ended up going to a little town called Darwin for a run through the mountains. 12 miles, 3 hrs

death valley trip 017.jpg
death valley trip 060.jpg
death valley trip 011.jpg
death valley trip 008.jpg

Attachments

• death valley trip 063.jpg
    death valley trip 063.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 12
  • death valley trip 054.jpg
    death valley trip 054.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 15
  • death valley trip 055.jpg
    death valley trip 055.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 14
  • death valley trip 058.jpg
    death valley trip 058.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 14
  • death valley trip 075.jpg
    death valley trip 075.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

KELLEVRA

Observer
Its been some time since I posted so ill sum up what is going on...

Not much has changed to the Ford, but its getting ready to.

I am working on a deal to put a utility bed on my truck to house my new(to me) 10 ft non cab over 1958 Alaskan camper.

So I snapped a few pictures of me and my buddy Brian putting my old shell on his 1963 Ford F110

dads phone 1437.jpg

dads phone 1435.jpg

dads phone 1434.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz