This is the begining

KELLEVRA

Observer
I picked up a 1997 f250 on CL on the cheap and quickly added a contractors topper also from CL. Im hoping for some ideas about how to go about get what I want in there. IE: bed,kitchen,stuff Jims Phone 191.jpgDads 016.jpgDads 022.jpgJims Phone 192.jpgDads 021.jpgDads 020.jpgDads 018.jpgDads 017.jpgDads 019.jpg

BurbanAZ

Explorer
seems like a cool base platform, what engine does it have? and is there a winch behind that fairlead? For bedding with full size vehicles i always like to use an air matress in the back, especially with pick ups they make air mattresses that are shaped to go around the wheel wells. With a kitchen it depends on how much cooking u plan on doing, for me a couple storage tubs a roll out table and a camp stove is enough, if u want to cook more some kind of slide out with everything in it seems to work the best. Im not sure what u mean by stuff so i dont know what to suggest. If u mean gear a drawer system is always nice, plus if u do a drawer system with like a platform on top for bedding then u can incorporate ur kitchen into it to pull out.

KELLEVRA

Observer
seems like a cool base platform, what engine does it have? and is there a winch behind that fairlead? For bedding with full size vehicles i always like to use an air matress in the back, especially with pick ups they make air mattresses that are shaped to go around the wheel wells. With a kitchen it depends on how much cooking u plan on doing, for me a couple storage tubs a roll out table and a camp stove is enough, if u want to cook more some kind of slide out with everything in it seems to work the best. Im not sure what u mean by stuff so i dont know what to suggest. If u mean gear a drawer system is always nice, plus if u do a drawer system with like a platform on top for bedding then u can incorporate ur kitchen into it to pull out.

The Ford has a 7.3 non intercooled in it with 231,000 miles and it runs great. I picked it up on CL for 1100 bucks from the original owner. I like the idea of the drawers under the bed I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks for the great ideas:ylsmoke:

Oh and the front bumper holds a M15000 that regretably was removed earlier for a broken drum brake

Last edited:

KELLEVRA

Observer
TTB F250's are a great platform. Heavy duty frames, suspension, bearings, etc. and a front end that lends itself to wheel travel (with some work).

Arguably one of the coolest F250's ever: http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=864

thats one cool truck. I think I would rather put a 60 in than try to make the TTB better. I believe that over the long run Id be better off with the reliability and consistincy of a staight axle. Dont you think?

SteveG

Adventurer
thats one cool truck. I think I would rather put a 60 in than try to make the TTB better. I believe that over the long run Id be better off with the reliability and consistincy of a staight axle. Dont you think?

It depends on what you're doing with it. The "BajaF250" is crazy-reliable. The suspension on it is well-designed and the fabrication is top-notch. Tom drives the hell out of it and gets great service out of it. For the average man, That front end would last years with little to no maintenance. A solid axle might be easier to prep initially but would never work as well as a TTB... at speed.

KELLEVRA

Observer
It depends on what you're doing with it. The "BajaF250" is crazy-reliable. The suspension on it is well-designed and the fabrication is top-notch. Tom drives the hell out of it and gets great service out of it. For the average man, That front end would last years with little to no maintenance. A solid axle might be easier to prep initially but would never work as well as a TTB... at speed.

Ya your right with the TTB being better over the rough stuff at speed, but how strong is the stock leaf sprung TTB 50. I mean can the stock unit take the abuse? Not that Im going to be doing anything Like "BajaF250" ,But Im already about 7600LBs without all my gear. And my front end is about 2 in. from my bumps so the ride might as well feel like your riding on the bumpstops. So whats the point? if the only reason to keep the TTB is the ride then whats wrong is my springs? are they just wore out? or is it something else? I would love to be able to just keep the TTB for obvious reasons (less work,Original) so enlighten me.

Last edited:

SteveG

Adventurer
I don't know the ins and outs of making the leaf spring TTB work well and survive, but Tom can fill you in. He ran leaves on his truck for quite some time. His lust is for speed, though, so he's continually upgrading and raising the bar. If I'm not mistaken, his leaf spring parts and shock mounts (custom) were still laying around for quite some time after he upgraded the front end. I'm sure they've since gone away but it's worth looking into.

The BajaF250 is VERY heavy, so weight is not a factor for the front end. Unless you're going to be doing some serious rock-crawling, I would run the D50 TTB until you reach it's limits. I don't think you'll have problems with breakage. Especially with moderately sized tires.

KELLEVRA

Observer
I don't know the ins and outs of making the leaf spring TTB work well and survive, but Tom can fill you in. He ran leaves on his truck for quite some time. His lust is for speed, though, so he's continually upgrading and raising the bar. If I'm not mistaken, his leaf spring parts and shock mounts (custom) were still laying around for quite some time after he upgraded the front end. I'm sure they've since gone away but it's worth looking into.

The BajaF250 is VERY heavy, so weight is not a factor for the front end. Unless you're going to be doing some serious rock-crawling, I would run the D50 TTB until you reach it's limits. I don't think you'll have problems with breakage. Especially with moderately sized tires.

I have herd from 1 other person that these TTB's were very tough and that I should leave it till it breaks. So I guess the next question is should I replace the stock springs with OEM springs? to gain the heighth back so Im not bouncing down the road on the bumpstops, cause the springs seem to be saging.

Last edited:

SteveG

Adventurer
It's common for these trucks to sit just shy of the bump stops on the front. Maybe an add-a-leaf or two?

BCHauler

Adventurer
I believe also that the f250's used negative arc front springs (frown) and the f350 used positive arc (smile). So swapping over (direct replacement, no extra parts needed) is simple and will provide some lift in the front.

KELLEVRA

Observer
I believe also that the f250's used negative arc front springs (frown) and the f350 used positive arc (smile). So swapping over (direct replacement, no extra parts needed) is simple and will provide some lift in the front.

Thanks BC Ive done a little research on the TTB/60 SAS and it does look fairly sraight foward, the only problem that I have is forking out the bucks for the 60 and hardware. But I know some day Im going to go on CL and find everything I need for 300 bucks you watch

Thanks
Jim

KELLEVRA

Observer
Roof Rack

I finally got a rack for the DOG, added some high lift jacks, and lights and im a little cloers to gettin out and goin somewhere OH and I got my 15000lb winch back from the shop and got it installed this morningJims phone 126.jpgJims phone 123.jpgJims phone 124.jpgJims phone 125.jpgJims phone 127.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior