Microsoft Surface and competitors' Windows tablets

haven

Expedition Leader
Microsoft put its first Surface RT tablets up for pre-order yesterday. Lowest price is $499, which buys 2 GB RAM, 32 GB flash storage, a fast nVidia processor, and a 10 inch, 1366x768 color touchscreen. Add $100 if you want the screen cover with built in keypad. The screen cover with real keys costs $120. A model with 64 GB storage costs $100 more.

Compared to Apple's 2012 iPad, the Surface tablet offers twice as much RAM and storage memory, but a lower resolution screen. The processor is similar to Apple's A5x. Observations about features like battery life and screen quality will have to wait until the Surface tablets are delivered.

The Surface tablet includes Windows 8 RT, a web browser, email software, and versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. Apple offers its own word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software for iPad. And the iPad constellation of 3rd party apps far surpasses what will be available on the Surface. I don't know of a single third party program ported to run under Windows RT. I suppose we'll hear more about 3rd party software when Windows RT is formally introduced on October 26.

The web pages for online ordering of the Surface tablets included a strange announcement. Microsoft sells its Office suite for RT as a "Home and Student" product. The Surface tablet owner is specifically prohibited from using the software for any commercial or non-profit activities. Businesses that want to use the Office for RT programs will have to purchase an additional software license, the cost of which is not immediately known. Here's a link that explains the situation.
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-offi...-move-to-a-commercial-use-license-7000005893/

Alongside the Windows 8 RT tablets like the Surface, On Oct 26 Microsoft will roll out Windows 8 on tablets from Lenovo, ASUS, Acer, Samsung, HP, Dell, and more. These models will use Intel processors, and will be compatible with the wide world of Windows desktop applications. Prices will be higher, probably starting at $650, rather than $500 for the Surface tablet. Microsoft will wait 90 days (until end of January 2013) to release its own Windows 8 tablet, called the Surface Pro.

haven

Expedition Leader

reece146

Automotive Artist
Yikes!

That's disappointing. Microsoft hasn't learned anything about delivery in the last 30 years it seems.

haven

Expedition Leader
Microsoft has announced pricing for the Surface Pro tablet. Prices start at $895 for a model with 4 GB RAM, 64 GB flash storage memory, and a 10.6 inch, 1920x1080 pixel (i.e., full HD) color touchscreen. 128 GB flash will cost $100 more. The Surface Pro will ship in January.

The Surface Pro will ship with a digitizing pen. Microsoft has a good reputation for supporting pen input in mobile devices, so I expect the pen will be featured in ads for the Surface Pro. Unlike the Surface for Windows RT, the Pro will not ship with a keyboard accessory. The lightweight Touch Cover and Type Cover will be available as accessories for about $125.

The tablet's processor is an Intel Core i5 model, similar to the processors found in Windows laptops. Microsoft says the Core i5 and higher resolution display in the Surface Pro use up battery power twice as fast as the Surface RT does. So I'd expect a 3.5 to 4.5 hour runtime from the Surface Pro, depending on what you're using the tablet to do. I'm also interested to see how hot the Pro gets when running. Its case is not as well ventilated as the typical laptop.

The Pro differs from the Surface RT in that it runs a full version of Windows 8, making the Pro compatible with any Windows desktop software program. That doesn't mean that all applications will run well using the touchscreen interface. I think the digitizing pen will help make legacy applications more usable on the small tablet screen. (the pen will be more accurate than my fat fingers.)

Speaking of software, it appears to me that, unlike the Surface RT tablet, the Surface Pro tablet does not include a copy of Microsoft Office. So figure an additional expense to add the latest version of Office to the Pro.

i expect the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet will face serious competition from hardware companies like Asus, Lenovo, HP, Dell and more. The Surface Pro is priced high enough that shoppers will compare it to the latest crop of lightweight laptops, too. Laptops built to Intel's ultra book model are only a few ounces heavier than the Surface Pro tablet.

One feature missing from both Surface for RT and Surface Pro is GPS capability. If you want to use these tablets for navigation, you'll need some sort of external GPS receiver.

Microsoft has a website for more information. It's http://www.surface.com

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a comparison between the Surface for Windows RT and Surface Pro tablets.

Processor
RT: NVIDIA quad core Tegra 3, based on ARM design
Pro: Intel Core i5, based on Intel x86 design

RAM:
RT: 2 GB
Pro: 4 GB

Storage
RT: 32 or 64 GB flash memory
Pro: 64 or 128 GB flash memory

Screen:
RT: 10.6 inch, 1366x768 color LCD touchscreen
Pro: 10.6 inch, 1920x1080 color LCD touchscreen

OS
RT: Windows 8 for RT, runs Windows programs designed for ARM processor
Pro: Windows 8, runs any desktop Windows application

Software
RT: includes RT version of Microsoft Office apps
RT: a few 3rd party apps available through Microsoft store
Pro: does not include Microsoft Office
Pro: any Windows desktop software should run

Ports
RT: full size USB 2.0, micro SDXC, micro video out
Pro: full size USB 3.0, micro SDXC, Displayport video out

Communications
Both devices include WiFi and Bluetooth radios.
Neither has 3G or 4G cellular data
Neither tablet has GPS

Dimensions
RT: 10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37in, 1.5lb
Pro: same, except 0.5 in thick, 1.9lb

Battery
RT: 31 watt-hours
Pro: 42 watt hours

Price
RT: 32GB $499, 64GB plus Touch Cover keyboard $699
Pro: 64 GB $899, 128 GB $999, all Pro models include a digitizing stylus

haven

Expedition Leader
Microsoft will begin selling the Surface Pro computer tablet on February 9. The Surface Pro runs Windows 8 on an Intel processor, and can run just about any software that can be run on a desktop PC.
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-8-pro/home

Specs for the Surface Pro include
-- Intel Core i5 cpu (third generation, using 22 nanometer spacing)
-- Intel HD Graphics 4000 gpu
-- 10.6 inch multi-touch display, 1920x1080 pixels (full HD)
-- 4 GB RAM
-- 64 GB flash memory as storage, 128 GB optional
-- Surface Pen digitizer
-- USB 3.0 slot
-- slot for micro SDXC memory cards
-- mini Displayport slot
-- WiFi and Bluetooth wireless connections
-- 42 watt hour battery (no word on battery life)

-- dimensions 10.8 x 6.8 x 0.5 inches
-- weight 32 oz

Prices are $899 for 64 GB, $999 for 128 GB. Microsoft warns that a significant amount of storage memory is taken up by Windows 8, so it's wise to think of 128 GB as the model to buy.

Options include
-- Touch Cover (thin cover with keyboard with simple keys) $109
-- Type Cover (thicker, heavier cover with keyboard keys that move) $129

The Surface Pro plus keyboard cover looks like a reasonable substitute for a lightweight notebook, such as an Intel Ultrabook or Apple Macbook Air. I expect the Surface Pro to be a success (unlike the Surface for RT tablet, released in Fall, which has been a dud).

HP, Samsung, Lenovo, Toshiba, Sony and other PC manufacturers will produce their own versions of the Surface Pro, no doubt offering additional technical features to extend the reach of the product. For example, the Surface Pro has no GPS capability, and no provision for connection to a cell phone network.

The price for the Surface Pro is a little high, even considering the extra RAM, flash storage and digitizing stylus. I expect one way PC manufacturers will compete with Microsoft is by offering similar hardware at a lower price. It probably won't be too long before some company offers a Surface Pro with a smaller screen to make it more portable.

haven

Expedition Leader
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-128-GB-Surface-Pro-Has-Only-83-GB-of-Free-Space-324307.shtml

Softpedia says the Windows 8 OS will occupy about 45 GB of precious storage space on the Surface Pro. That means the Surface Pro model with 64 GB flash memory will have only 19 GB of space for the user, including application files.

It won't take long for that 19 GB of storage to be consumed. For example, Microsoft Office requires 3 GB of storage space. Photoshop requires 1 GB of storage space, plus swap space on the drive.

The Surface Pro with 128 GB storage will have 83 GB of space for your files. That's more reasonable if you expect to carry around lots of topo map files, for example.

Is it a coincidence that Apple just introduced a 128 GB model of iPad with Retina Display? Price for the WiFi model is $799. iOS 6 uses less than 800 MB of a 1.5 GB system partition. Just sayin'...

Not sure who at M$oft led the market research into the tablet market but of the rt's I have seen none had GPS chips.

Surface RT tablets have not been as successful as Microsoft hoped. Most people interested in the Surface tablet have purchased the Pro model that can run any Windows software.

So Microsoft is sweetening the deal for Surface RT by including a keyboard cover (a $100 value) for the $495 price of the Surface RT tablet alone.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.275275300

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Have you seen the hilarious new run of commericals that Microsoft is airing? Instead of silly dancers NOT using their Surface devices, they started going head to head against iPad.

haven

Expedition Leader
With Windows 8.1, Microsoft is supporting tablets and convertibles with 7 and 8 inch screen sizes. Screen resolution as low as 1024x768 (VGA) is OK under Windows 8.1.

To boost sales of the small tablets, Microsoft has announced that it will provide Office 2013 Home & Student for free to manufacturers selling Windows 8 tablets with 7 and 8 inch displays. Office 2013 Home & Student normally sells for $140 and includes Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. It does not include Outlook, Access, or Publisher.

Microsoft is rumored to be building a 7 inch tablet that will be sold under the Microsoft Surface Pro name.

Other PC manufacturers are expected to offer small Windows tablets, too. Here's one example of an 8 inch Windows tablet: The Acer Iconia W3

Intel Atom Z2760 Clover Trail processor
… dual core, 1.8 GHz
8.1 inch, 1280 x 800 pixel display
2 GB RAM
32 GB storage standard for $379, 64 GB optional at $429
Windows 8 OS
… capable of running any Windows desktop software
Micro SD card slot
Micro USB port
Micro HDMI port
front and rear cameras, 2 megapixels each
WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0
0.45 inches thick
weighs 1.1 pounds

full-sized Bluetooth keyboard optional, $80

Reviews of the Iconia W3 say the screen lacks vibrant colors, the build quality is somewhat flimsy, and the tablet, at 18 ounces, is a bit heavy. The iPad Mini and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8.0) both weigh about 10 ounces.

codename607

Adventurer
Would you guys recommend this device? I currently take online college classes part time and I'm planning a coast to coast trip this September. Right now I've been using a app on my iphone for navigating but I'm ready for an upgrade. Since the surface comes with Microsoft Office and it looks to be a good navigator I think it would be the best upgrade.

From someone that has experience in this area, what do you recommend?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz