looking for a tent, but not sure what to buy

jeepjunky

Observer
Im looking for a 2 person tent, I dont need a 4 seasons. What I need is to stay dry when it rains. Also I would like to avoid a second mortgage on the house to buy the tent. Kinda thinking about a colman tent, But there are a lot of diffrent tents listed on ebay...any sugestions?

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
You will get what you pay for in a tent. The big box brands have marginal waterproofing and are more for very short duration fair weather camping. I really like the REI quarter dome, when my current marmot tent gives up (4 years now, never a leak) it will most likely get replaced by the REI brand. They also have good service and replacement policies.

I also like the eureka A frame tents. Mine lasted 10 years before i replaced it and is still being used by my sister, but the DWR has faded and it will leak now in a heavy downpour.

Both of these options will run around $200 bucks, but spending a night in a puddle is really not worth the savings on a cheaper tent.

brianwj

Observer
We bought a large family tent last year from the Camping Equipment Company online. They have great tents that you never hear about and we had no problems with ours in 40 mph winds with pouring rain. I'm also a fan of REI but definitely stay away from the box store tents most of those went down on the storm we had on the beach.

BLK2000TJ

Like was stated above you get what you pay for when it comes to tents. We do a lot of camping. The mornings after an overnight rain you can always spot the people that tried to save a buck on their tents. They're the one's drying out their sleeping bags. Cheap tents are OK if all you do is came in perfect weather but as soon as the weather turns sour you'll wish you had spent the extra money for a quality shelter. A full coverage rain fly is a must.Check out REI and Big Agnes.

D

Deleted member 48574

Here's a quick plug for Mountain Hardware tents. We have the Drifter 3 but there is also the Drifter 2 available. Good quality construction and a lot of nice features make this the choice for us -- like handy reflective patches for finding it in the dark on the way back from a hike/latrine run. Also if you get the groundsheet you can leave the tent body at home and just use the groundsheet and fly which is good for no-bug areas or for weight savings or if you are caught in a sudden downpour. Besides that the poles are quality aluminum and the tent can be pitched very easily in a short time as everything clips on so there's no snaking the pegs through fabric sleeves as is common. Two vestibules for gear which are double zipped for ventilation. We re going on year 3 of moderate to heavy use and it's been great. The drifter 3 cost us about 170 bucks.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I used to have a Moss back in the day when it was new :) was the best constructed well thought out tent I have ever seen !!!!!!

I do think some tents these days like Nemo are nicer lighter more modern etc.. though :) but again I wish I kept my moss :(

to the OP I would go over to REI.com look up in the outlet area and find a tent you like at a great deal ! the nice thing is if it does not work out you are not happy you can return it ! but chances are it will be a good tent so you wont be unhappy ! like others said avoid the cheap stuff buy once and have a great setup around and when a storm comes you wont be freaking worrying if its going to collapse on you !!!!

they had a nice Nemo 3 person for under $300 even :) more money but nice tent !
other ones can be under $200 and you have a great tent also !

I would say are you wanting to have 2 people in it or a 2 person cause its just you ? cause most 2 person are to small for 2 people and gear unless its backpack gear etc.. and you dont mind being tight :)

obkook

X2 for REI brand.

I used to backpack with a quarter dome.
Got married and have a dog, I got the T3.
1 kid later and 1 on the way, and I got a Basecamp 6.

All have been bulletproof, easy to set up, and completely dry.

ywen

Explorer
You gonna camp in the desert a lot? That will dictate whether you get a double layer tent or something more suited for dusty environments. Unless, that is you don't mind sand infiltrating into the tent.

jeepjunky

Observer
Thanks for all the input. A few years back I had a big store brand tent, it rained...both inside and out! So I ran into town and bought a Coleman 4 person tent. It kept me dry and happy for the last couple of years. I go camping 2-3 times a year.
You gonna camp in the desert a lot?
Sadly no. Most of my camping is fair weather camping. And anymore my daughters choose not to camp. So it is mostly me, Some times my 11yo will camp out too.
My plan is to retire the 4 person Colman, and buy a 2 person tent, mount it on my expedition trailer. I know a 1 person would be easier to put on the trailer, but I would like a little room, + IF my kiddo comes along...So Im looking at a 2 person. As for the brand, I had planned on buying another colman, but alot of the current reviews Im reading are pretty poor. As for the $300-$400 tents, for the amount of camping I do, its just too much to spend.
The big things Im looking for are 1. KEEP DRY!!! 2. footprint size 5x7 dome 3. KEEP DRY!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz