On The Road/Trail Snacks?

College Kid

Adventurer
I havn't seen this topic come up yet.

I spend alot of my time on the road, 4-5 hour stints of driving for my job through fairly empty areas of the great not so white north. I also spend almost every other long weekend and as much vacation time as my wife will allow overlanding with my family.

We have all stopped in at a passing gas station and picked up the usual junk food, and truck stop coffee, but it's not the most cost effective or healthy option. I usually try and plan ahead and grab a few things from the grocery store before a trip. I am starting to get pretty sick of the typical trail mixes and raw veggies.

Wondering what you guys snack on while overlanding? Also interested in what sort of storage ideas are out there?

keezer37

Explorer
The only healthy options are what the Great Sky Dude put on this earth for you. The rest is all junk and false claims.

Can't get sick of fruit, can you? For the past couple month, all I'll take for road snacks are fruit and veggies. I toss them in a small cooler naked with ice. Let it melt as it will. Cold and wet and a hand towel on my lap.

I have started to make some healthly at the house . Some of the stuff I make is Jerky , Granola ,fruit leather, and Trail Mix. I get to add some of the stuff that I like and remove the stuff I don't . Most of the Jerky is made from Venison . A plus is I get to use some of the toys that I have picked up over the last few years .

D

Deleted member 48574

Cheddar cheese, summer sausage, and a baguette. Good fat and protein -- I find it tasty, cheap, and easy to store, with less salt than most jerkies. Cut it all into edible bits before leaving and toss in a cooler.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Jerky, trail mix, nuts, veggies and fruit, as well as some cold ice tea is what I like.

I prefer making my own jerky, and also my own trail mix.

A lot of grocery stores will sell the makings for trail mix in bulk, so I build my own, with what I want in it. Store it in air tight containers or zip lok bags.

College Kid

Adventurer
I love cherries, actually any fruit that comes in bite sized pieces, blueberries are another of my favorite. The best part of this time of year is all the little road side fruit stands that pop up. Nothing better than picking up a quart basket from a local orchard.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
as well as some cold ice tea is what I like.

I like to make sun tea while I drive down the road. I reuse the glass bottle that tea from the gas station with 2-3 tea bags. Just put it on the dash board for a while and enjoy!

I've made sprouts on the road too. I found a jar that fit in the cup holder and fit with the sprouter lid available at any health food store and most big boxes. It takes a couple days but its nice to have some fresh produce.

ovrlndtoyota

get snorkeled
cherries...perfect for removing uric acid (crystalizes into your joints, feels similar to mild arthritis)...uric acid is the stuff ur kidneys cant get rid of. cherries are a known enemy of uric acid. I have problems with my joints, so I usually have both fresh cherries in my fruit bag in the icechest and dehydrated cherries in my own "trail mix".

brians trail mix;

dried cherries
date pieces
pistachio pieces
pumpkin seeds (obviously hulled)
pretzel sticks

and a palm full of sunflower kernals just because.

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Trail snacks

I'm attempting to make what some call vegtable crackers. What I'm after is like a "granola bar" buy made with coursely ground dehydrates veggies like corn, green beans, tomatos etc..... then slightly rehydrated, mixed with something that would bind them togeather then cook it to solidify into a bar.

I would really like some ideas.:chef:

This could be vacuum sealed and last many days.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Sunflower seeds in the shell are always in my rig. They serve a couple purposes...something to do, some nutrition, take the edge of hunger, cheap, lots of flavors and can get spicy ones to keep you awake.

Jerky and good hard cheeses are easy to keep and filling.

I like picking up the tropical variety of trail mix. Lil different and you sometimes find flavors you previously did not try.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I am a sunflower seed addict. Love the black pepper ones from Spitz.

FYI, I did pick up some of Safeway Select trail mixes, specifically the Ginger Zinger and Good Apple Morning. Very tasty. We typically don't buy trail mix, but tried these; good stuff.

- Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94