Just pondering....

Storz

Explorer
Next spring I am going to be ditching the CTS for a truck/SUV again and I've sort of started poking around for ideas. My travels don't really ever include rock crawling, just dirt roads and forest roads for camping. Daily life is 100% pavement.

I think something AWD would suit my needs just fine vs true 4wd with lo range, though I have not totally ruled out the latter.

Here is my hairbrained idea :snorkel:

Trailblazer SS awd - ditch the 20" wheels for some 17" wheels with AT tires, have a 'prerunner' style bumper fabbed up to protect the front end and have a little better clearance/approach angle. And thats basically it :)

The AWD system is a true mechanical system that sends 66% rear 33% front all the time.

Crazy? Pointless? Awesome?

Thoughts...

tombodad

Adventurer
Other things to shop for if you are looking for performance suv's (kinda an oxymoron)

Grand Cherokee SRT8
BMW x5 - many big engine choices
Dodge Ram SRT10 - Ram with a viper engine... because why not?
Range Rover Sport
Porsche Cayenne Turbo *based on VS Touareg. Actually very offroad capable
Mercedes G class, M class AMG

lots of options.. how deep are your pockets? :smiley_drive:

Storz

Explorer
lots of options.. how deep are your pockets? :smiley_drive:

Not very lol

The TBSS, X5, and Touareg are on the radar. I've had great luck with BMWs in the past, and actually VWs as well... but the complexity of the Touareg drive train and suspension is a little worrisome for me. I am also considering an Envoy Denali as it has the 5.3 V8 with a true 4wd Hi/Lo transfer case

The TBSS is pretty simple, big V8, mechanical AWD :)

Last edited:

tombodad

Adventurer
That's true, I hear negative things about the air suspension in touaregs/cayennes. There are probably spring conversions available, but $$.
GM platforms have the advantage of a lot of part interchangeability.

BCHauler

Adventurer
If you want to run smaller wheels on the SS, I would check that they fit first. The SS might use bigger brakes and make smaller rim fitment impossible.

Storz

Explorer
Yeah I did. 17 is the smallest that will fit, its what a lot of folks are running g for winter tires.

Also thinking about a 2wd Silverado with some upgrades.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Not sure how the forest service maintains their roads in your area, but seeing how they do around here would lead me far away from any rig that isn't at least capable of pushing a button for four wheel drive (IE: don't get a 2WD silvy if they suck at road maintenance). I've had a hard enough time hunting in the winter time with very little snow on the ground in four wheel drive around here, let alone what would happen if I couldn't move that stick back.

I'd love an AWD TB. I say go for it.

skyfree

I've had both an Envoy Denali 5.4 4X4 (2006) and a VW Touareg TDI (2012). The Touareg has WAY more ground clearance (stock) and WAY better power and brakes. The brakes in the GMC are seriously lacking. The VW does not have a low range transfer case any more (since 2010), but it is an 8-speed trans with a low 1st gear. Still neither one is particularly suited to off road stuff stock.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I had one of the V-10 diesel Touaregs, loved it, and zero issues. The newer Tdis can be had with coils i think, and close to 30mpg as well.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
At least get real four wheel drive. I despise AWD with a passion. AWD is designed so that soccar moms, with short attention spans, can have some sort of 4wd. Usually it's weak and no better than a solid 2wd setup. The 33%/66% split stuff is complete hogwash unless you're talking about a Nissan GTR or better. Nothing mechanical really splits that well without costing serious $$$. Don't fall for marketing. AWD is for road use only and suffers quickly when a simple dirt road encounters rain or snow.

And don't waste your life in a 2wd. Living in fear of hard packed earth with wet grass on top is no way to go through life.

But if you still want a softer, more posh 4x4, I'd look towards:
Toyota Tundra
Ford F150 (especially the fun loving Raptor)

I'd have to give the edge to the new Fords, especially if you get one with the 6.2L!

I'd avoid the GM's. Excellent V8's and decent transmissions, but spotty QC on everything else lately. I Dodged a bullet (oh the pun) when my friend bought the GMC 2500HD I wanted. I really don't think that most of the decision makers at GM actually drive GM vehicles anymore, and the ones that do, probally have never tried anything else. I'm really disappointed with my works fleet of GM's.

I was in a Chevy truck last night that had a giant orange light readout on the rear view mirror for airbag status. That's just what I need at night, a giant orange light screwing up my night vision. I actually broke the cheap plastic lower mirror trying to get it to swing wide enough to actually show the road and not just the side of the truck. If they can't even figure out simple mirror and driver controls, imagine how bad the more complex stuff is.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Hard to argue with an awd BMW X5 with the 4.6 V8. Uncle had one and it was a beast on the highway.

Seriously! The BMW X5! The single worst vehicle ever made!

I've got three friends that are BMW master techs, BMW tried to grab me as well. And we all can't stop laughing at these $#&t boxes. Subaru makes a far superior AWD. The X5 is a terrible car, and a terrible truck at the same time. We didn't even know that was possible.

It's a car with no offroad grip at all, can't even make it up a snow covered hill on road that even the AWD Toyota blob thing crossover climbs with ease. Truely the most pathetic machine I ever drove. It's brakes, much like the Porsche SUV, are so huge that decent wheels and tires can't even be fitted if you wanted to.

The X5 fits a marketing model, ask your local BMW factory rep next chance you get, that model is simple: Sometimes to make something that sells really well, you need to make something really, really bad. BMW had thousands of customers with really poor taste asking for something like the X5 to be built. The Germans aren't stupid, they built exactly what thier customers wanted.

Hang out with BMW factory fanatics and you'll be shunned quicker than a nonbeliever for even mentioning the X5. Even BMW hates this thing.

Man, I didn't want to sound like a negative Ned. So please take my strongly opinionated experiences with a grain of salt, or maybe the whole shaker. LOLz. But I really like the F150's and Tundra's for light duty wheel'n and travel.

Last edited:

delithic

Observer
The Trailblazer SS and the Saab 9.7x Aero also have the same engine and platform if you are having trouble finding a trailblazer. Although I think the chassis is lower a bit.

Mad_Texan

Adventurer
TBSS has been lifted before...it comes lowered from the factory and has airbags in the rear...you will also need wheel spacers to clear the upper balljoint with a taller all terrain tire...and yes you can run the 17's with TBSS brakes

I does come with a locker in the rear...

transmission is known to have issues on the street... so offroad could be questionable

rockers are know for paint chipping issues so protection is advisable

TBSS does not come with roof rack from the factory so you have drill the roof

On the other hand...395hp...four snow tires...loads of fun when the weather turns :smiley_drive:

Attachments

• Trailblazer SS7.jpg
    Trailblazer SS7.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 5

Storz

Explorer
Thanks for all the great info. Its going to come down to either a TBSS or 4 door Silverado. I really like the rally/short course look. Perfect dirt road weapon. :)

45130e28-82a8-8687.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94