Anyone familiar with Outdoor Research Clothing?

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Just curious if anyone has any experience. They have a retail store in Seattle, and it looks pretty big. I always pass by it when I'm going to one of my favorite cigar shops to hang out and always see it on the way there.

How does it compare to maybe some of the other brands, if anyone knows?

I'd like to get in there sometime soon and browse their selection.

Thanks!

It's good stuff. I would put it in the same class as North Face, Cloudveil and Marmot as far as quality goes. They are not as innovative as Arcterx but not as expensive either. I owned a bunch of their stuff over the years and currently have a pair of insulated pants from them that I like.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
OR made their mark in the 90s as the preferred maker of gaiters, gloves, hats and other backcountry accessories. They also created the first soft-shell pant for mountain travel. Over the last ten years they slowly carved out a niche in the technical and casual apparel business. It's very nice stuff.

There's a great selection of OR apparel hand picked for overlanders at www.expeditionapparel.com

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I'll also chime in here. OR does some really good things! Mostly oriented toward the mountain/snow/skiing crowd, however they make some nice drybags, and have a bunch of innovative products. Definitely good quality for price.

Cheers,
West

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Awesome feedback. I'll definitely check them out next time I'm near by at their store in Seattle.

cbs

Observer
Have four technical fleeces from them, my go to layer 3 seasons out of the year. They make great stuff.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Used to be a dealer of their stuff back in the day
Top notch tech gear and IMHO best mitts in the world :)

irish_11

Explorer
I agree with what the others said. I would put them up there with Marmot and The North Face. I've been using a pair of their gaiters for 15 years on and off and they have held up to whatever I can throw at them. They at one point had a contract with the Marines to make dry bags. I'm not sure if they have it anymore. Their dry bags work great too.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a super lightweight Goretex shell from them, various hats and so on but my Alti high altitude climbing gloves are amazing.

loup407

Adventurer
Other posters are right on. OR makes world-class product. The founder passed away some time ago, and the current owner brings a similar passion to the outdoors lifestyle. I've done some work with them, and their staff is as talented and experienced as any in the industry. Like a few other outdoors companies, they also make product for the US military (some branded, and some not). As mil-spec standards are pretty rigorous, and much of that product is made in the US (but not all of their line is); quality is as good as anyone's.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Their military gear is well made and very well thought out. They listened to all the special requirements and quirks we threw at them. Especially the extreme weather stuff.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

refried

Adventurer
OR makes great gear, I have a bunch of thier stuff and the only thing that ever needed replacement was a pair or two of Gore-Tex shell mitts, I wore out several pairs of them only because I liked and wore them so much. They changed the design but they are still great shells. My 15? year old Crocodile Gore-Tex Gaiters are still in great shape along with the rest of my OR stuff. One of my favorite pieces is a belay jacket, a very simple synthetic insulated jacket no extra zippers or drawcords, just basic insulation, it packs down to nothing and is very warm.
I think they may have lost thier direction for a while after the founder passed away but they look like they are making great stuff again (they always did, but some of it wasn't as high end as thier original gear.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Went to the Seattle location today. Awesome stuff. Just like the REI and Northface stuff. Made just as good, if not better.

I got a button up shirt. I'd say some of the clothes are more fitted than other so I went one size up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles