Haiti 2012: Port-Au-Prince and Leogone

dogsdayindurham

Speaking of roads a day or so before I came in, a group of folks on a medical outreach mission were killed after the brakes failed on their guide's LC. They were going down a steep portion when the brakes failed and the guide in an effort to stop them decided to ram the barrier. Unfortunately the LC flipped over the barrier and tumbled like 8-9 times before finally resting in the ravine. The 2 front passengers were really badly injured (one died at the hospital) and the 2 rear passengers died at the scene. They were in a convoy of 3-4 vehicles. Amway stepped up and flew the rest of the group back directly from PaP to grand rapids and the bodies. It was a really big ordeal to even them the remains back stateside. Since in Haiti they dont have the correct "spec" body bags that would meet US Customs, they had to rush bags in from the states that were. Plus the Haitian gov was on vacation for the anniversary of the earthquake and some other stuff which was uber frustating. They were staying at the same guest house we were at and the leader of the group was working through the week to secure the transfer of the remains back stateside. http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/01/brake_failure_led_to_death_of.html Going to Seguin from PaP.

dogsdayindurham

Thanks for all the pictures! I grew up going to Haiti at least yearly from age 6-18 with my parents doing medical trips. Started my early love for Toyotas :).
Doesn't look like much has changed in the last 15 years. Same UN troops. Guess a few more post-earthquake? Used to enjoy the trips during our occupation in the 90s, with the 50cal position guarding entrance to the airport and blackhawks always buzzing overhead :).
Always so tragic. My dad went to Cite Soleil a few times...tough place to go; poverty we can't even understand.
Thanks for the trip in the way-back machine! And stay safe!

That's pretty awesome. I can't imagine how it was back in the early 90's with the political unrest.

No more 50 cal positions at the airport. They have fixed it a lot from just last May. One doesn't have to get off on the tarmac and into a bus to get to the customs / luggage. It's all connected. The domestic side is still in pretty bad shape. The UN presence in May was a bit higher as there were these folks who were "squatting" on many of the former military bases demanding they be reinstated. But this time it was relatively calmer. No major manifestations when I was there. I think the current UN make up are Brazilians, Chileans, South Koreans, Japanese, and Sri Lanka from all the folks I saw. The jobless rate is still crushing major recovery though. The "elite" are doing well though. It's hard to generate more jobs imho unless they increase education for all students. I think it's almost 100% private school only right now in Haiti.

TJK

Observer
I don't live in Haiti. We have six employees down there working on our project. I mostly raise funds, spread the word. etc. Get down there when I can.

TJK

Haha. Now if only more people would follow them. Plus I noticed the green is really hard to discern if it's on or if it's glowing from the sun.

Do you live in Haiti full time with your org? Or are you a frequent traveler?

concretejungle

Adventurer
Thank you for sharing. It's real eye opening to see how other countries around the world live and to put in perspective just how well we have it in the US no matter how bad we "think" we have it.

cdm

Adventurer
Was there when we got a contract (we were one of the 2 companies whose insurance allowed us to operate there! easy money.. wish it lasted longer as it was a name your price deal pretty much) in the 2008 floods. That was before the quake and before the influx of UN and foreigners and money.

Never ever going back to that hellhole. I think the DRC would be less unpleasant (rural ruins always win vs urban ruins). We never left the "airport" because that was impossible back then. Refueling was accomplished by an army truck with a bunch of soldiers cordoning off the area.. You have it easy now but watch yourself. Windows up at all times.

TJK

Observer
The UN was there in full force in 2008. They arrived in large numbers in 2006.

Foreigners and (their) money have basically always been in (and out of) Haiti.

I frankly think it's a charming place, if a bit rough around the edges.

TJK

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The UN was there in full force in 2008. They arrived in large numbers in 2006.

Foreigners and (their) money have basically always been in (and out of) Haiti.

I frankly think it's a charming place, if a bit rough around the edges.

TJK

The beaches Northwest of P-a-P are amazing. Miles and miles of smooth white sand and deep blue water. There was a Club Med there at one time, we drove past its remains on our way from P-a-P up to Gonaives (via St. Marc.) The road between St. Marc and Gonaives had the worst washboard I've ever been on. Actually, it wasn't washboard, it was broken pavement which is worse than washboard!

I've driven as for North as Cap Haitien. The mountains Northeast of Gonaives are very "jungle-like" as is the area South of Cap Haitien. We even went to the Citadelle in Northern Haiti, which is the largest fortification in the Carribbean (or at least that's what the tourist brocures say.) Been as far East as Ouanaminthe on the DomRep border, but that was via Helicopter. Very lush and green there, too. Not like Gonaives, which was dry, desert-like and had little vegetation at all.

The people we met were, for the most part, very friendly and hospitable. It's a strange feeling to know that there is a place of such crushing and pervasive poverty, and it's in the same time zone as the Eastern US.

TJK

Observer
That old Club Med is in Montrouis, where we work. Just up the road from our farm property. It's fully functional as Club Indigo.

The road to St. Marc and onward to Deschapelles in the Artibonite Valley is much-improved. Part of a Haiti-DR cooperation prior to the earthquake. The improved infrastructure was very beneficial during the initial period of the ongoing earthquake recovery. Still, many find it hard to believe that the roads are improved. Post-quake, people would send me photos of "earthquake damage" and in many cases I could confirm that building/road/bridge/whatever was in that condition long before the quake.

I have never been up to Cap but it is on my list. I've also scouted a route to paddle from the mountains to the sea, with minimal portaging of boats. One day....

TJK

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I have never been up to Cap but it is on my list. I've also scouted a route to paddle from the mountains to the sea, with minimal portaging of boats. One day....

TJK

If you get up there, definitely tour the Citadelle and the Palace Sans Souci. Very much worth the time.

TJK

Observer
Thanks - I've been trying to time it to visit with my friend, Paul Clammer, who writes travel guides, including the most recent guide to Haiti. He has the inside-scoop and all things Haiti. Knows the history of the Citadel and Palace Sans Souci. Would be an interesting trip.

TJK

johnnyrover

Observer
Planning a motorcycle(moto) tour of Haiti in June or August....a little excited. First real excursion since my guiding days.

r50fj60

Observer
Looks like how it was when I left in july 2010. I was in Leogone for about a week at the Hospital St. Croix helping tidy it up so it could re-open.
I was impressed by the number of r50 Pathfinders I saw, and the amount of Land Cruisers of all vintages.
moar pix naow! ...plz?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Planning a motorcycle(moto) tour of Haiti in June or August....a little excited. First real excursion since my guiding days.

:Wow1: You're either very brave or very foolish. I can't think of a worse place to ride a motorcycle.

Well except maybe Antarctica. :D

dogsdayindurham

I saw a lot of motos, but not brave enough to ride one. I rode the tap tap once on the way out my first time in Haiti. It was pretty neat experience, but we were fortunate to just have our luggage and the guest house manager ride out with us, so it wasn't too crowded.

Uploading more pictures tonite. Lab / school has been nuts. We have spring break next week but I will be catching up on lab work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94