Any early bronco expo rigs?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My father in law has one. He purchased it new in 1973

302, 3 on the tree, limited slip front and rear, 3 fuel tanks, air/water tank bumpers etc... etc... just a nice rig. Though I think it is FAR from an exp rig. More of a weekend mountain adventure rig. The thing just does not do long highway runs well. Not geared for it, not comfortable enough, and not fuel efficient enough.

Very cool rig though. It was my wifes rig in high school.

Some day he will get rid of it. And chances are good that it will find its way into my garage :ylsmoke:

wintertrip10.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Though I think it is FAR from an exp rig. More of a weekend mountain adventure rig. The thing just does not do long highway runs well. Not geared for it, not comfortable enough, and fuel efficient enough.

I don't know...sounds perfect to me.

Plenty of similar vehicles doing expeditions long before we got spoiled with modern connivence...that old saying, if there is a will there is a way.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I edited for a mis type. They are NOT fuel efficient enough.

The 302 and 3-speed is lucky to see 12mpg.
Much less if loaded heavy. Thats a terrible combo for such a small rig. Even if it is a great trail rig.

Clutch

<---Pass
I edited for a mis type. They are NOT fuel efficient enough.

The 302 and 3-speed is lucky to see 12mpg.
Much less if loaded heavy. Thats a terrible combo for such a small rig. Even if it is a great trail rig.

I understood you though...

Shoot, that is what a FJ40 gets, if that, heck my old '76 F250 with a 390 got 8-10 on a good day...the only thing it couldn't pass...was gas stations. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Which is why I dont understand why anyone is willing to drive a gas truck.

The last trip (1200 miles) we took with my truck and camper loaded to nearly 10k lbs we averaged 17mpg.

'96 powerstroke

Lessen the fuel cost, increase your driving range, and take your trips further, and longer.

Clutch

<---Pass
Which is why I dont understand why anyone is willing to drive a gas truck.

The last trip (1200 miles) we took with my truck and camper loaded to nearly 10k lbs we averaged 17mpg.

'96 powerstroke

Lessen the fuel cost, increase your driving range, and take your trips further, and longer.

I average 18-20 in my gasser Toyota....and pay less for fuel.

I don't need to tow 10K lbs either though...just a couple dirt bikes and minimal camping gear.

Oh, it is all relative, all comes down to how much money a person has, those diesel Uni-Cats get what, 4-6 mpg? And that doesn't stop those guys from driving around the World

Heck, our VW Westy only gets 14 mpg...and it is an under powered turd. I don't take that on long trips, not because of the poor fuel
economy...because it is rather uncomfortable driving long distances. It won't pull my moto trailer either...could be the main reason.:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
So you are getting 18-20 MPG with your Toyota prepped with food/water and all gear for 2 people for 14+ days?

because thats what my last trip was, averaging 17mpg.

I don't take that on long trips, not because of the poor fuel
economy...because it is rather uncomfortable driving long distances.

My exact reasoning why an old bronco isnt a great expo rig.

Clutch

<---Pass
My exact reasoning why an old bronco isnt a great expo rig.

Yep, I am too, getting soft...I sure do like my AC, power windows, power steering, etc...

...all these modern convenances are making modern man, a girlie man. :ylsmoke:

I do plan driving the VW up the West Coast though, but for our mountain trips with the dirt bikes, I grab the Yoda.

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
Two years ago this guy was on the same week-long Bill Burke trip that my daughter and I did in the Abajo Mountains/Comb Ridge/Hotel Rock/Dark Canyon/Mule Canyon/Beef Basin/Needles District Canyonlands:

DSC_0315small.jpg

DSC_0316small.jpg

DSC_0326small.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0350small.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

bob91yj

Resident **************
They may not be the ultimate Expo rigs, but they have lots of cool factor in my book.

I'm a sucker for a cool Early Bronco, although I've never actually owned one. Probably goes back to Parnelli Jones "Big Oly", it's one of my favorite old school desert racers.

bigol.jpg

A sentimental favorite when I pit with BFG is to see the Moss Brothers out there getting it in their 300 Class desert racer. It's a '79 chassis, so not an EB but still cool to see the old iron out there.
http://www.wcb4x4.com/race/moss/index.shtml

jkam

nomadic man
My first car was a 1974 Bronco. I got it for my 16th. birthday. My step dad was the new car manager at a Ford dealer and I got a great deal. Saved up a lot and sold my dirt bike to get it. I fixed it up quite a bit for 1974. it had the 302 and an automatic. It was Burnt Orange in color that was unusual, it had the Ranger package and I installed a Craig Powerplay 8 track with quad speakers that was the hit at all the desert parties back then.

Unfortunately, I was a crazy 16 year old and rolled it 3 times in the year I had it, 3rd. time it was totaled and I almost died. Here are a couple of shots I scanned in years ago. The top one, in the air was on the way to school where a bunch of us would see who could get the most air.

2850423515_d04ce08d7e_m.jpg

2851255614_4b3d770fa7_m.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier