Any early bronco expo rigs?

CJW

Are there any early bronco expo rigs on here? I've always dreamed of owning one and would love to have one to drive all over with.

Broncology

I have owned a few myself, but have never traveled far with one. If you check out classicbroncos.com there is an early bronco being built by "NY-Bronco" with the new Coyote Motor, 6r80, atlas, and possibly portal axles. There have also been a few 4BT diesels installed in early broncos on that site as well. I would love to have an overland bronco someday!

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I just started thinking about building an early Bronco the other day. I am having trouble finding a decent FJ40 cruiser at a reasonable price, so I started thinking about other trucks. I am going to look at one later this week with a 289 cu in and 3 speed tranny.

toddz69

Explorer
Are there any early bronco expo rigs on here? I've always dreamed of owning one and would love to have one to drive all over with.

Depends on how "expo" you want them to be :) I've used mine for week-plus trips in remote locations but it definitely has its limitations. I have several friends with early Broncos with Four Wheel Campers on them that would be better suited for longer adventures.

Todd Z.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
we have a pretty nice 95 bronco with a 351, but we havent used it for many trips yet since we usually go with the suburban. I think it would do great though we plan on taking it when we plan a route that is for a more agressive vehicle
12944d4d.jpg

589a30ea.jpg

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
I just started thinking about building an early Bronco the other day. I am having trouble finding a decent FJ40 cruiser at a reasonable price, so I started thinking about other trucks. I am going to look at one later this week with a 289 cu in and 3 speed tranny.

3 on the tree? My dad and I had a 72 with a built 302 and 3 on the tree. Really miss that truck, but we traded it for a car for my mom.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
3 on the tree? My dad and I had a 72 with a built 302 and 3 on the tree. Really miss that truck, but we traded it for a car for my mom.

Yeah, it was a 3 on the tree. Unfortunately some one else got it before I got a chance to look at it.

toddz69

Explorer
Yeah, it was a 3 on the tree. Unfortunately some one else got it before I got a chance to look at it.

Depending on what you want to do with it, I'd recommend finding one that has at leasta few modern, reliable upgrades done to it. It will make the driving much more enjoyable. I cut my driving teeth in mine when it had a 3 on the three in it. There are plenty of trucks available now with disc brakes, Ford factory fuel injection, power steering, and either automatic or 4/5 speed transmissions that will heighten your experience.

For long trips, the lack of space is the biggest challenge. The longest trip I've done in mine is 9-10 days with 2 guys and all their gear (including a fridge). It helps if you come from a minimalist camping/backpacking background and have efficiently-sized acoutrements.

If you're traveling off-pavement (as I'm assuming you are), dust intrusion can be a real nuisance. I'm still working at trying to close up all the obvious nooks and crannies in my rig.

Todd Z.

CJW

Depends on how "expo" you want them to be :) I've used mine for week-plus trips in remote locations but it definitely has its limitations. I have several friends with early Broncos with Four Wheel Campers on them that would be better suited for longer adventures.

Todd Z.

I realize that a FSB or larger vehicle would be better suited but I like to think that I could make a baby bronco work.

toddz69

Explorer
I realize that a FSB or larger vehicle would be better suited but I like to think that I could make a baby bronco work.

And you certainly can. You just have to be intentional about it and realize the limitations and compromises of your vehicle choice. Early Broncos will never make a "top 10 vehicles for overlanding" list here on Expo, but that's ok. I like to tell people, "know yourself and know your vehicle". If you enjoy an older Bronco, FJ40, CJ5, etc., and don't mind working on it a little more than the typical just-off-the-lot newer vehicle, they're great fun and the reactions you get from fellow motorists often make it all worthwhile.

Todd Z.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've done 10 days w/two people in my Bronco II (also carrying a fridge).
Very true you have to pack a vehicle this size more efficiently, but it's plenty doable. A smaller vehicle allows you to go many more remote places than you could with something bigger & heavier.

rubi1.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
And you certainly can. You just have to be intentional about it and realize the limitations and compromises of your vehicle choice. Early Broncos will never make a "top 10 vehicles for overlanding" list here on Expo, but that's ok. I like to tell people, "know yourself and know your vehicle". If you enjoy an older Bronco, FJ40, CJ5, etc., and don't mind working on it a little more than the typical just-off-the-lot newer vehicle, they're great fun and the reactions you get from fellow motorists often make it all worthwhile.

Todd Z.

Shoot, an early Bronco is one of THE original expedition vehicles...:ylsmoke:

It is in my top 10.

IMG_0640.jpg

toddz69

Explorer
Shoot, an early Bronco is one of THE original expedition vehicles...:ylsmoke:

It is in my top 10.

View attachment 107258

X2 on that!

That particular truck is shown at the Fabulous Fords Show at Knotts Berry Farm a few years ago. It was owned by the same couple for many years. They sold it to a friend of mine a few years back and it now resides back East somewhere.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Explorer
And to the OP question, here are some shots from our trans-Nevada adventure last fall.

Three old Broncos at some old gas pumps:

IMG_8496.jpg

We had 3 early Broncos and 3 different generations of Toyota pickups on our trip. Here are the Broncos. I think this picture was actually taken in southern Idaho.

IMG_8565.jpg

Here's Roger's truck:

IMG_8488.jpg

Here's Lars' truck ('lars' on Expo):

IMG_8484.jpg

And this is mine:

Bronco_NV.jpg

Our trucks do share some similarities. They're all powered by 5.0 SEFI engines, they have 4 wheel disc brakes with hydroboost, power steering, 35" tires, monotube gas dampers, reworked suspension systems (fairly mild lifts), Atlas transfer cases, roll cages, aftermarket seating, and Lars and I have OD transmissions (NV4500 in his, 700R4 in mine). We all have fridges of one brand or another and onboard air. Lars' truck will probably have a/c added at some point too - his truck is so solid and so nice.

I added 2500 miles to my truck on this trip. The only problem we had was a remote theft deterrent toggle switch that went bad in Lars' truck. But with 6 engineering degrees amongst the group and a little bit of common sense, we got that tackled without too long a break.

I've shared this photo here before. Our Stroppe racing Bronco, another Bronco with a 4 Wheel Camper, and my Bronco, all parked in front of my house a few years ago.

IMG_7794.jpg

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles