we would say hello...and looking/ asking for tires

Diavolo

Diavolo
Hello,

we are the newcomer here...and we had the first question

We build our Truck in 6000 hours from different parts.
The front is from the German THW and is a Magirus Deutz 170 d 11 from 1980, the back comes from the eastern Germany Militäry and the name was LAK II.

We finished our work in Dezember 2009 and since this time we are on the road (WWW.two-vagabonds.de).

We are looking for new/ used tires in this size :365/85 R 20 Michelin XZL does anybody had an idea were we can get and ship them to Mexico??

Thanks for your informations

With greetings from Guatamala

Olaf

Attachments

• IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 54
The only "less expensive" 395/85R20s in North america are Michelin XMLs - military take-offs. XZLs are hard to find, only Michelin dealers have new ones at the moment; for ~$1800 each.
You are not going to find 365s in North America, i think.
Vrakking/Aircrafttyres in the Netherlands, and other suppliers have XZLs in both sizes, new for ~900 euros, but the shipping....
When I had my U500 in australia for 2 years I had one almost new spare and 2 almost new unmounted spares on the roof of the camper. I did indeed switch them out on one axle, since I drove ~25000 miles on the trip.

Charlie

Diavolo

Diavolo
Thanks for your help and informations...

Now I found a dealer in the States who have 395/85 R 20 XZL

but he has no experience with shipping to Mexico and he dont want it...???!!! He always ship in the States...so I have to look further.

I think XML are not the best choice for us and no option by our way to travel.

Thanks again and a nice weekend

Olaf

762X39

Explorer
Have you considered another brand of tire? You might look at Continental MPT 81's in 365/80 R20s which may be available from Expedition Imports in California (http://www.expedition-imports.com/). I don't know how they compare to the tires you are running now but the tire you can buy is usually worth 5 of the 1 you want. It might not be a stretch to get some shipped to you (they have always served me well for my Unimog parts needs). Good luck on your journey and your tire quest.:coffee:

Felipe

Observer
Importing tires into Mexico is a nightmare. I can tell by own experience. My MPT 81s were at the border for almost 4 months. If you are in Texas, get them and mount them there and drive back.
Regards
Felipe

Diavolo

Diavolo
again....

Hello,

yes it was a long way up to Texas from Guatemala, but we have to do this, because no one want to bring tires into Mexico and so we decide to order some bigger tires (14.00 R 20) from California to Texas.
This was a great service and everything went well from the company and we could pick up our new(used ones( tires in Corpus Christi.
After changing the tires we could visit the area much more better and to drove to the island this was worth for it selve!!!

But the new tires from Good Year are not Good so that we have to search again after 13.000 miles:-(
But now we are in South America (Colombia and here we get this size not...
For any informations we get we would very happy

Nice weekend and a good time

Olaf

WWW.two-vagabonds.de

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

Sorry to hear you are having tyre problems.

I know Atkinson Vos in the UK ship parts and vehicles to many countries worldwide and are Continental tyre dealers. I have bought 14.50 R20 MPT 80 tyres (nice but noisy) from them at a good price, but I did collect them myself :)

http://www.agricultural-tyres.com/tyreselect.asp

Will these be OK with your vehicle weight kg though?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles