Axle size with large tire?

DrtTrac

Hola guys from PHX! Been lurking for a few months gathering information and have now pulled the trigger on building my own trailer. Built a stout utility trailer before, but now venturing into the new realm of a dual purpose utility/Expo trailer.

First thread question here...my new 4x6 utility/expo will be built similar to Swiss' with 24" expanded metal sides, diamond plate floor, 4' bi-fold ramp gate, spring over axle with shocks, rear corner stabilizers, adjustable height rack system for RTT, extended tongue with catch all compartment and tongue box, and of course all the accessory mounts for propane/water/fuel/over-fender camp kitchen box etc.

The question comes with what axle and springs combo? I am running 315/70/17 AT's on 17x8.5 aluminum rims...I feel a 2k# axle (2250# springs - per pair) is sufficient as I'm trying to keep weight down and do not plan on needing to ever haul a heavy load. Just your normal camping equipment with a single quad (400# dry)...isn't a 3500# axle overkill? I am concerned about such a large tire size after reading a few posts.

Your input is appreciated!

Pics are of actual wheels mocked up and the trailer is my inspiration trailer base...

Attachments

• IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Front end box & catch all.jpg
    Front end box & catch all.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 3

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Hey! Welcome fellow AZ-er! Will be watching as Im interested too. I plan to build a M416. Also, very curious on how you do your adjustable RTT rack. I've seen a couple of good ones out there. I just need to find someone who can weld for me that I can afford!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior