Lower profile fridge/freezer?

kchristian

Adventurer
Ok I've searched and searched on this forum and others, so this is a long shot, I know.

Are there any fridges designed with a lower profile? We are planning a vehicle purchase (4th gen 4runner/80 or 100LC/GX470) for overland use and we would really like to have the fridge in the back on a slide out with a sleeping platform on top but that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for sitting up in bed and reading or lounging. (We read quite a bit, my wife especially.) It seems like any fridge that has more than a 6-pack capacity is at least 17 or 18 inches tall (plus slide, plus sleeping platform, plus mattress). That leaves us pretty cramped. Any suggestions?

Or any experience with the set-up I am planning? Comfort is key for my wife. I've said it before, if it were up to me, I would have thrown a RTT on top of my volvo 240 and been broken down in Mexico by now. My wife is starting to get on board with this whole idea but I'm trying to make concessions where ever possible so I don't hear about it for 5,000 miles.

Thanks in advance! The Expedition Portal community is unlike many others on the interwebs. You guys really seem to want to help each other out. I've been lurking here for more than a year and I've been very impressed. I can't wait to integrate myself more fully.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
There are some "drawer" style 12V fridges. They are mostly marketed to large truck drivers in Europe as they are designed to fit between the seats of a semi cab. They are only about 10" tall and all about the same dimensions.

Here's a marine example : http://www.indelwebastomarine.com/Products/Fridges_and_Freezers/us/html/10316.html

Here's another that is on sale : http://store.boatandrvaccessories.com/e044.html

There are a number of other makers, too. Let me know if you get stuck. Glad to help !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles