Need tire advice for a 2003 diesel F250 with Mickey Thompsons

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I think, that based on tread pattern and non-snowflake rubber the FS D AT's would be superior in very hot dry areas. The extra tread void that the BFG AT and GY SA have means extra heat and less economy in the summer. From what I've heard it's a great tire, especially for towing. But it stinks in mud, but so deos the BFG AT and GY SA.

The GY SA and BFG AT are snowflake rated which is a much more expensive softer rubber than normal tires. The FS D AT is significantly cheaper.

Probally another good choice as long as you have a set of mud rated tire chains handy.

I've been researching the MT versions and they have good reviews.

Last edited:

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
OK so I ended up getting the 285/65/R18 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor E rated tires. About $1,200 installed.

And I'll admit, it looks a little funny to have these smaller tires on the truck after I had the Mickey Thompsons... *but* besides the looks, everything else is awesome.

The rolling resistance is so much better; no "hum" when driving down the road; the tires are a bit smaller so first gear isn't such a pain... totally happy with the decision. Thanks for everyone's help here. They have 50k mileage warranty, so i'll do my best to update this thread when I know how well that turns out, and how well they perform on the trail.

IMG_6432.jpgIMG_6453.jpgIMG_6454.jpgIMG_6455.jpg

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
I had 315/75/16 BFG at's on my f250 with a heavy 7.3 Powerstroke. They wore like iron but suck in the mud. So if you arent planning on hitting Georgia clay mud you will be good!

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I sell tires for a living so here is my two cents.
BFG A/T in E rating
Goodyear duratracs
Toyo M/T the best tire out there, but expensive.

drodio

Entrepreneur & Lifehacker
Hey everyone, so I went with the 285/65/R18 Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor tires, and I love them so far. They're definitely way less aggressive than the Mickey Thompsons on the truck before, and they make the truck look a bit funny with the lift & smaller tires, but man they are QUIET -- completely quiet, and still have a good offroad trail tread on them. I'll update here as I get some use out of them, but for now they're great.

Old Tires:
IMG_6011.jpg

IMG_6013.jpg

New Tires:
IMG_6455.jpg

IMG_6454.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz