10lb Propane tank question.

wingysataday

Adventurer
I found a woman on craigslist who has a bunch of propane tanks(husband was a hoarder who died) She has a few of the 10lb vertical tanks but they look old. How do I check to see if they are refillable?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Look at the valve on the top. If it has the small thread base it does not have an internal float and is not legally refillable. Tanks over ten gallons are exempt? I think. I suspect they are nothing more than scrap iron. Small tanks need to be inspected or replaced every five years. I know most don't have them inspected like they should.
I recently purchased one of the new fiberglass translucent tanks. (very cool) They have a fifteen year life. Three times longer than the steel tanks since they don't oxidize or rust.

Watch out for old tanks that show green or bluish coloration to the brass valve. That can be a sign of exposure to ammonia. Methlab by products and very dangerous. Stay away and call emergency services if you find one of those.

BroncoHauler

Adventurer
I believe there's a date code on tanks (at least "modern" ones) that state when they were manufactured. DOT regs are that tanks are good for 12 years from date of manufacture. A visual requalification is good for 5 years.

"U.S. DOT specification cylinders used to transport LP-gas in commerce must be requalified 12
years after their original test date, and every 5, 7, or 12 years thereafter, depending on the method
used for the last requalification."

Herb

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Look at the valve handle. If it has only 3 'lobes', then it's a newer one with the OPD (Overflow Protection Device) or 'float' in it.

If it has more than 3, than it's the old style, and they won't fill it.

Good news is, you can get the new valves, and have them installed. Cost wise, it's usually a wash bewteen that, and just buting a new tank.

. Tanks over ten gallons are exempt? I think.

Nope, I know thw 100 pound tanks are exempt, but the 20# (like for a BBQ grill) have to have the new valaves. Not sure on the 40 and 70 pounders.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Old style handle on left, new OPD style on right;

aaaaaaopd.jpg

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Look at the valve handle. If it has only 3 'lobes', then it's a newer one with the OPD (Overflow Protection Device) or 'float' in it.

If it has more than 3, than it's the old style, and they won't fill it.

Good news is, you can get the new valves, and have them installed. Cost wise, it's usually a wash bewteen that, and just buting a new tank.

Nope, I know thw 100 pound tanks are exempt, but the 20# (like for a BBQ grill) have to have the new valaves. Not sure on the 40 and 70 pounders.

Tanks up to 40 #'s are required to be fitted with an OPD (Overfill Protection Device). They currently do not make a OPD for any tank over 40 #'s (at least that I am aware of. I work for a propane and fuel company).

I would suggest not getting the tank from the woman. You would be better off using an exchanged cylinder than buying a tank that is not up to code. I am not sure of your local companies, but we sell 10 #'s at our office, and will replace valves on older tanks, but also suggest that it's cheaper to just exchange the tank. Costco here has a great deal on filling tanks at $10 for a 20 #'s. I would also suggest NOT filling at a gas station, as you will be paying quadruple the price that you would at your local propane supplier, if they have a bottle fill. Current price for local bottle fills here is about $1.05 a gallon, and they are charging ~$20 to fill a 20 #'s cylinder at those bottle fills, which is about 4.6 gallons, roughly, if using the OPD to fill (which, requirement is to use the spitter valve located on the OPD itself, still, just over 4 gallons from empty to "full").

FYI, Propane does not have a shelf life, but depending on temperatures and pressure, could eventually dissipate from the tank if left unused and connected to, say, a bar-b-que regulator. The odorant in propane does have a shelf life and will degrade over time.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Most of the older tanks can not be retrofitted with the new valves. The float assembly that is the overfill prevention device is just physically too large to fit in the smaller opening of the older tanks.
Nope, I know the 100 pound tanks are exempt, but the 20# (like for a BBQ grill) have to have the new valves. Not sure on the 40 and 70 pounders.
Propane weighs 4.23 lb per gallon , so a 10 gallon tank would be over 40# and doesn't require the overfill valve. Looks like we ARE on the same page. I bought a new 25 gallon tank a couple years ago and was surprised that they did not have an overfill design valve. Not even an option.
Thanks for reminding me about the handle design. I had forgotten about that. :)
Did I mention that I am really lov'n the new fiberglass tank? Lite Cylinder

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Most of the older tanks can not be retrofitted with the new valves. The float assembly that is the overfill prevention device is just physically too large to fit in the smaller opening of the older tanks.Propane weighs 4.23 lb per gallon , so a 10 gallon tank would be over 40# and doesn't require the overfill valve.

Oops! My bad! I read it as a '10 pound tank' , not a 10 gallon tank. LOL

Some of the 20# (like a grill uses) and smaller tanks can be retro fitted, my dad swapped over 2 of them.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
...Some of the 20# (like a grill uses) and smaller tanks can be retro fitted, my dad swapped over 2 of them.
Good to know. Those must have been some of the "transition tanks" and had the larger threads. I think , IMO , those would be a good candidate for the tank exchange. 20# (4.5 gallon) steel BBQ tanks are really pretty cheap. They were just under $30 everywhere we looked. The 5# ($54) and 10# ($90) were significantly more money. We were looking for a campfire tank and I decided the larger diameter of the 20# tank offered greater vapor space for the volume of gas to be expelled in such a high demand appliance.
Those smaller tanks are pretty cool looking though.
I guess the 20# tanks are the least expensive due to the supply and demand?

You mentioned the odorant degrading. I am assuming that they used something different many years ago. I have some very old surplus 10# tanks. I disassembled them for other uses. The small brass tubing I saved for other projects still sinks really bad! I keep it in a small plastic container and even after ten years it still stinks! Those old tanks have to be at least made some time in the mid fifties. Valves left open or removed they are skunky enough to turn you away.
They are very cool old tanks and heavy duty to be sure. The guys used to pack those as weed burner tanks on the ditch company rigs.

chasespeed

Explorer
Industrial cylinders are exempt from the OPD. Think, fork lift tanks. You can revalve them with vapor valves.

Second, ethyl mercaptan is water soluble. If a tank wasn't purged right, it'll have water in it... it will absorb the odorant, thus degrading it.

DOT/ ICC cylinders are good for 12 years from original date. They neec to be reinspected by that date, before they will refill.

FWIW, I HATE OPD valves. Flunkies just fill the cylinder until it stops. Stupid idea. There are only 2 proper ways to fill a cylinder/tank. By weight, or the dip tube.

I would recommend buying a new cylinder... check manchester and worthington....

Chase

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier