family hauler

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
We drove to coalville, utah and picked this baby up. 1991 chevy suburban, 2500, rebuilt 5.7L, rebuilt 4L80E at the same time as the engine, 33" tires. It was originally a BLM vehicle so it has A/C (that still works), vynil floor, bench seat in front, crank windows. The guy i bought it from had it for 15 years after he bought it from the BLM, took it to cabo san lucas 3 different times, pulled his camp trailer to tennesee with it, pulled his camp trailer up and down the california coast surfing.

Drove it 150 miles back home on 7 gallons of gas (anyone care to figure out the mileage?) i was shocked and amazed also but it was only one tank, we will see how it goes on other tanks. the faster i went the warmer it got and there was a slght hint of antifreeze smell so i kept my eye on the temp. So i figured i needed a fan clutch if the faster i went the hotter it got and when i slowed down it cooled down. Pulled the top half of the fan shroud out, pulled the fan clutch, the bottom piece of the fan shroud moved and touched the lower radiator hose and it started leaking (that was close). So it got a new fan clutch, lower hose, thermostat, thermostat housing, and belt. Crawled under it to get the hose put on and noticed that one of the tie rod ends, the whole cap is missing off it, so back to the parts store for a tie rod end.

There is some rust, pretty bad rust im gonna have to deal with.

But i only paid $1300 for it.

IMG-20120622-00337.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
got the tie rod changed out

IMG-20120624-00339.jpg

the previous owner was a contractor and had built a storage box in the back but its not what i want so i pulled it out.

IMG-20120624-00340.jpg

IMG-20120624-00341.jpg

for now i have two action packer totes strapped down in the back right behind the back seat, has my tools and straps and stuff like that. i still have enough room between the seat and the totes for storing longer things.

IMG-20120624-00342.jpg

greased everything up, took it around town a little today for some ice cream (its 92 here right now), runs like a dream.

has a flowmaster single in dual out, 241C transfercase.

tomorrow i am going to order new tires for it since these are pretty weather checked, and will be making my payment to CVT for my retractable awning, then i just need to build the roof rack for the awning to mount to.

PLANS
new tires
retractable awning
roof rack
dual bateries
winch bumper (mount my 8274)
swing out rear bumper
install backup camera (already have it so why not)
OBA (have a york 209 with mounts)
new shocks
power inverter
some type of storage in back (havnt decided what)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I think you have an excellent:Wow1:rig there with lots of potential. Low cost equals lots of ideas/possibilities for upgrades. Keep us posted with LOTS OF PICS! Cheers, Chilli.:)

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Great find!! I started messing with the older burbs, got a similar one last year- '91 2500 4x4 from Cali, drove cross country home to NC averaging 19mpg at 68 mph avg. I found a '00 this year with only 39k on it, drove it home about 1k miles, but only averaged 16 at similar speed/conditions, but kinda like the extra hp and torque of the 6.0. Funny part is my '00 (ex FBI rig) is the one with barn doors.
Enjoy- great rigs!!

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
today i changed out the rear u-joints (looked like the factory ones), prepped the headliner backing board (the old headliner was sagging so i took it out and will put a new one up), and built mounting brackets for the awning and got it mounted up.

IMG-20120630-00366.jpg

IMG-20120630-00367.jpg

i went with the 55" awning because down the road it will go on the trailer i plan to build.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
so yesterday i got the awning mounted, today we used it. loaded everyone up and headed to the river, well ok im not sure if we were at the reservoir or the river that feeds it lol. found 2 issues i need to address before our camping trip in august, it needs a bigger radiator (heats up going up hills and at higher speeds), and the doors need new seals (alot of dust flying in). other than that it was a nice day.

IMG-20120701-00369.jpg

IMG-20120701-00368.jpg

002.jpg

8-Lug

Nice set-up.

Though putting an awning on the side is considered the norm , I would be tempted to attach it at the rear of the suburban. The side doors can block dust,plus all your gear is usually in the rear.

Anyway you do it , having fun is what its all about!:sombrero:

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
thursday i should be able to order my new radiator, aluminum core with aluminum tanks for $145 shipped. Also hoping to be able to order a windstar dual electric fan assembly, new (since theres no junk yards around here) from summit for $105.

No more cooling issues :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online