Ultimate Expedition car stereo

delta21

I'm looking for the ultimate Expedition car stereo. Idealy it will have AM/FM, CD player, the ability to control a disc changer. satelite ready. USB port. weather band, CB and shortwave. Back in the 70's jeep made an indash AM/FM CB, the mike connector was in the glove box. I have had several subaru's that all have had weather band.

I have a '99 Jeep grand cherokee. So a single or double DIN would be perfect size.

Anyone have any ideas if something like this is made?

Adventurer
I'm looking for the ultimate Expedition car stereo. Idealy it will have AM/FM, CD player, the ability to control a disc changer. satelite ready. USB port. weather band, CB and shortwave. Back in the 70's jeep made an indash AM/FM CB, the mike connector was in the glove box. I have had several subaru's that all have had weather band.

I have a '99 Jeep grand cherokee. So a single or double DIN would be perfect size.

Anyone have any ideas if something like this is made?

HI delta,
Whew, you are asking for a lot! I don't know of anything that fits your requirements. My Jeep JK Unlimited Sahara came with the top end entertainment option and it doesn't come close. It has AM/FM, Sat, CD changer, and Audio Aux input. It also could have a Bluetooth capability but mine does not. I understand the later versions have a USB port. I have installed a Cobra 75 CB with a weather channel capability. So, I have all your requirements covered except shortwave and USB. I cover the USB case by using my iPod audio output into the audio port. So, in my case it would take 3 separate units to cover your needs (that plus the iPod). I'm not interested in shortwave so I have three units (including the iPod) to cover my needs and it all works very well (sounds good too).

I do think that someone should build something to meet your requirements. I think there is a market for them. It would require three antennas so that is unhandy. And anyone who would want such a capable device absolutely needs a fancy GPS. Whew, you are asking for a lot but it would be really neat.

Sparky

Who still uses CDs? Get an iPod touch and rhapsody service. You'll have it for a year and a half before you exceed the cost of a changer. Plus it doesn't skip. I've had changers in dash, remote etc, I'll never use them again after getting an iPhone. I travel a lot and won't rent a car if I can't hook my iPhone up to it. Now most are going to Bluetooth also.

If you have an iPhone, or android your halfway there (if you have unlimited data you can do pandora too).

Check out crutchfield.com you'll find just about every price point. Kenwood makes amateur radios, they may be your best bet.

the Rewster

Observer
My 2cents...
Cd is nice to listen to library copy's of audio books.
A USB is great to connect iPod, but will not charge an iPad.
Small buttons are a pita. Make sure it has a remote. Easier to adjust while moving.
CDs skip on washboard roads. Deal with it.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I went from building cars around the stereo to taking the radio out of the dash to use the space for more important things. My 'expo' rig hasn't had any sound system at all for years. I enjoy both the road trips and music better this way. Just not at the same time.

Route55

Adventurer
I have a 2-3 year old Kenwood that has all of that except the CB/Shortwave/weatherband stuff. Not sure on model number but can get it if you are really interested. It was installed by a previous owner in my Jeep. The reciept in the glovebox said over $1,000 which I'd never pay. It also has a Bluetooth mic that works like crap. The unit takes a huge learning curve and is a pain to fiddle with while driving. I moved it over to my work truck that has infinity speakers and it sounds pretty good. Although mostly it gets used to listen to Howard Stern and a few music stations. I never use CDs, as I find even with expensive units they still skip offroad.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I went from building cars around the stereo to taking the radio out of the dash to use the space for more important things. My 'expo' rig hasn't had any sound system at all for years. I enjoy both the road trips and music better this way. Just not at the same time.

I'm with you there. I like to listen to the vehicle and the bloody stereo just gets in my way. (Strange thing for a musician to say, I know...)

I remember reading something by Heinlein where he was talking about E.E. Smith being a superman (Jack of All Trades, Master of All.) He'd asked Smith for advice about buying a car. They took the car for a drive, and Smith (who was driving) was listening to the sounds the car made by pressing his head against the door pillar.

I don't remember exactly where I read that. 'Expanded Universe' maybe. There is a mention of it on the E.E. Smith Wikipedia page, though I'm not sure that it is strictly accurate about what Heinlein said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Smith

"In Heinlein's essay, he reports that he began to suspect Smith might be a sort of "superman" when he asked Dr. Smith for help in purchasing a car. Smith tested the car by driving it on a back road at illegally high speeds with their heads pressed tightly against the roof columns to listen for chassis squeaks by bone conduction—a process apparently improvised on the spot."

<end hijack> (sorry about that OP)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles