continental mpt81 feedback?

lucilius

I have a 2008 F550 based Earthroamer and have put 50,000 miles on it since we got it (used). It has the air-ride suspension and hutchinson beadlocks. I'm on (I'm pretty sure) my third set of MPT81's. I'm fairly scrupulous about inflation and adhering to the speed rating (which can be annoying). I've been pretty happy with how these tires have worked, both on-road and off. I'm not a fan of driving in packed snow and ice with them, not too different than most M/T type tires. They DO pack up with mud, which was a surprise. I've gotten all of my tires (after the originals) from Expedition Imports and have found the prices to be fair and the service excellent. Finding someone who can mount/balance them can take some homework, the ER owners forum has a few nightmarish stories. I know a handful of ER owners who have experienced failure of one (or more) tires. I suspect prolonged driving at speeds higher than rated may have been a contributing factor. ER's aren't light (mine is about 16,000 pounds, and the newer bigger ones are even chubbier)..I have to remind myself that, as much as I'd like to keep up with traffic, not much that happens quickly in an 8 ton vehicle is good. Periodically I look at tire charts for something different/new; but I've been pretty happy with these. I expect I'll be getting another set later this year.
According to a molded-in statement on the tire, they are grooveable, and I imagine siping can't hurt, although I have no idea what it would do to the wear.
Thanks for the good input Loup. I'm surprised that you need to replace tires that often, guessing tread wear is the main reason to get new tires? I've heard from several owners that MPT81's aren't so good in snow and ice which is a deal-breaker for me so the tire hunt continues. I've been looking at the GXV Adventure Truck, which seems to take the earthroamer/turtle concept and build on it in a lighter, possibly improved, package. The Earthroamer interior seems nicer and might better withstand the test of time, aging like a classic yacht with all the wood vs the plastic of the Adv. Truck. They're both pretty awesome rigs. For an alternative tire, you might consider the Goodyear G275 in 335/80R20 (only 12-ply but rated to 6395lbs and 75mph, 145L LI/SI) which depending on your drive axle weight, might be an improvement. I've heard/read a range of axle weight vs load rating theories when it comes to offroad but I've spoken with several experienced folks who suggest ~20% more load rating vs axle weight...but then it gets squirrelly when you mention airing down: no substitute for experience and DIY testing/evals I guess.

loup407

Adventurer
We have friends who have an F550 based GXV. They like it a lot. It is pretty different than our truck, although has almost all of the same features. I’ve learned there is no one perfect rig. I have considered the Goodyear’s, although they aren’t easy to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94