Carrying a kayak on trailer w/rooftop tent

jckid

Do any of you haul a kayak on top of a rooftop tent mounted on an off-road trailer? I'm interested in getting a kayak, but am not sure how to mount it. The rooftop tent will be mounted to load bars, but then how should I mount the kayak? I was thinking of something that fit in the rear receiver on the trailer to hold the back end of the kayak, but I plan to have bikes mounted there. An ideas, or better yet, photos?

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Here's a photo of my solution for bikes and kayaks. When camping with the RTT I tend to want them off the tent so I can be mobile with the boats. The 15' boats don't fit on the trailer that well.

MD011.jpg

When the tent is off the trailer the surf kayak goes on the load bars for beach trips. It is short and fit's nicely.

SmallKayak.jpg

I'll be interested to see if anyone has a solution to go on the tent as I might consider doing that too. Your solution may depend on what type/size of kayak you get.

richxd87

Observer
Can you fit the kayak on top of the RTT? That's what I had to do a few weeks ago when I rented a kayak.

380300_10100644471575966_605750711_n.jpg

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Look at Rhino Racks, they have load bars that can be adjusted. Or you could make them longer and turn the kayak on its side. Have done that many times.

jckid

I'm thinking of a shorter kayak (8' - 10'). I don't have a roof rack or load bars on my Jeep, otherwise that might be an option, but still I think it would be hard to get it up there. The directly-on-the-tent idea crossed my mind, but I don't know if it might cause abrasion issues over time. Longer load bars might do the trick...something I didn't think of. Any more ideas or pics?

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Maybe build a secondary removable rack that comes off with pins that would extend above the RTT in the folded position... similar to the rack below, only easily removable.

BikeRackV2_e.jpg

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I have been struggling with the same issue. I have an M416 with lid and RTT and want to put a kayak on it. I am going to watch this one with interest and hope for a good idea.

Conundrum

Observer
Could you do a side mount? I had a lumber rack on my Tacoma and welded on 8" "outriggers" with a hoop at the end so I could put kayaks on the sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior