Dometic fridge problems

gr8wrk

Observer
I''m having intermittent problems with my Dometic fridge. Sometimes it's happy to run for days. Other times, almost immediately, it will throw the three blinking red LED error code and shut down. It will restart if you hard reboot it (pull its cord and reinsert). This always happens on battery power only. It's fine with the vehicle running. Also, the green LED display is getting kind of dim. Anybody have troubles like this? Find a solution?

TexGX

Explorer
I have found that moving from 12v to 110ac or from 110ac to 12v without turning the power button off first will cause the same issue. I just simply turn off before switching between the two and have had zero problems.

TexGX

gr8wrk

Observer
I have found that moving from 12v to 110ac or from 110ac to 12v without turning the power button off first will cause the same issue. I just simply turn off before switching between the two and have had zero problems.

TexGX

Thanks. That sounds like good advice and I'll remember it in the future. However, this is only with 12 volts. I never use 120 vac.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Have you checked the input voltage. Maybe there is too much resistance in your wiring? Part of what makes me thing this is the case is that it you reported that is only an issue when running on pure battery and not when the vehicle is running. If your using a 12V cigarette style connector there may be a lot of electrical resistance and voltage drop. An RC car battery connector is much more secure and have very small resistance values. Good thick gauge wring on the ground and pose line are necessary.

Also my dometic/waeco uses a donfoss compressor and controller board and I was able to find the full schematic based on the sticker on the compressor and controller box. This let me fine tune the voltage cut out by adding a variable resistor.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
If the voltage at the cig lighter falls below the "battery monitor" voltage threshold, which is set to 10.1 vdc, the fridge is suppose to simply turn off and wait until the voltage comes up to 11.1 vdc.

The red blinking LED is telling us, according to the manual "device plugged in, not ready". What the hell does this mean?

Moved the fridge from Gr8wrk's Taco to my 80 and the same thing! My batt voltage has not dropped below 12.5 vdc during the entire time of this test, which was about 14 hours.

Interesting problem!

gr8wrk

Observer
Thanks all for the ideas. Voltage at the plug has never dropped below batt voltage. I have ordered Anderson plugs though, just for good measure. It's wired with 8 ga. now but I'm going to rewire with 6. Also, I emailed Dometic over a week ago and no reply yet. I've heard bad things about customer service from Dometic after they bought out Waeco. Bummer. My marine/deep cycle battery os from Sears so I'm going to let them have it for a while to give it a real test. A couple days ago I plugged it into a receptacle in the back of my truck, left it on for a few hours, then drove to town and did some errands and went to dinner with friends. I drove home and left it on until mid day the next day. No problems, humming along nicely at 35* Are we all agreed that there's nothing worse than an intermittent problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke