The Dirt Sherpa Build

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Howdy Folks;

I'm pretty new to the Expedition Portal, but not new to the lifestyle. Roughly four months ago I decided to upgrade from my roof tent and bought a 1988 FWC Hawk I found in this forum. The initial plan was to gut the interior and refit it with a much nicer interior with the full compliment of modern conveniences, but it has turned in to building a completely new camper on steroids. There are a lot of build threads here already so I thought I would start with a short post to gauge the interest rather than bog down the forum with a huge thread.

I haven't been spending a lot of time taking photos since it seems to really slow the project down. I built a new floor pack for the camper some time ago but winter slowed me down on the walls. I'm now at the point that the new walls are all built and I'm taking Thursday and Friday off to get the new walls and cabover assembled on the floor pack. I've started taking photos to document the build and have included some below and will continue to update the thread if there is interest from the group.

The new Camper.
IMAG0072.jpg

Here's a couple of model views from the process of figuring this all out. I need to update the model to the current build.
Model_Overview.jpg

Here's the new floor pack. It's all marine grade plywood and a 5' sheet was used for the bottom so there are no joints in the floor like a factory FWC floor pack. All joints are biscuit jointed, glued with Gorilla glue, and fastened with square drive stainless steel screws. It was then coated with a marine penetrating epoxy and then a marine 1 part poly primer and topcoat. It's not installed on the floor pack in this photo but the outside is now laminated with FRP.
IMAG0079.jpg

Here are the side walls jigged up on a sheet of plywood for my welder. Notice the angle on the front of the walls to fit the angle on the cab of my truck. The walls are all done but are in the shop so i don't have photos of them at the present. The material is all 1/8" wall aluminum tubing. A combination of 1x1, 1x2, and 1x3 was used.
2012-06-10_17-55-41_487.jpg

These are the radius pieces to build the corners on the front of the cabover. The cabover will be built up from two 1x3 tubes stacked on top of each other for a 1x6 profile.
2012-06-26_16-14-46_303.jpg

There is a lot of other trick stuff going on, like the super high budget siding I'm using, but I will save all of that for future posts if there is interest.

GCecchetto

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Sounds like a great build. Definitely post up as many pics as you can. I know it's great to see pics of something versus trying to picture what someone is doing in your mind.

Keep it up!

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Hi Stan;

I should have more pics to post later today or tomorrow at the latest. On another note, I want to let you know that Terry is awesome! He has been very helpful getting me the right trim parts and such. He's a great guy for sure. I'll see you guys at overland expo next year but You may see my camper before that though since I'm just over in the bay area. I promised Terry I would bring it out to show him.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Well, been working like a rented donkey all day on the camper and have just finished loading the floor pack in the truck so I'm ready to head to the shop first thing in the morning to start the assembly. Got the radius corners for the cabover finished, what a tedious pain in the but, and all of the tube for the cabover cut and ready for assembly. Unfortunately I didn't stop long enough today to take any photos but will tomorrow for sure. Can't wait to get this thing assembled and get back to having a dry shell at least. I was planning on dealing with the old roof, soft walls, and lift panels this summer so I could use it as a shell while I build out the interior, but unfortunately my lift panels have completely failed now and I just don't have $900 free to spend on new lift panels. Thought about building my own, but I would still have to buy the spring loaded piano hinges from FWC, since they assemble them themselves, and they are $60 bucks a piece. Just doesn't seem to make financial sense when I think about all of the labor involved to build the panels, and I would have to spend some time to figure out what the new composite material is that they are using on the lift panels now. Stan, you would be doing me a solid if you could tell me what the product is you are making the new lift panels out of. The real bummer is that now that I am completely rebuilding the frame I have the opportunity to extend the cabover out to a full 60", but I can't afford to rebuild the roof and have new soft wall made so I'm stuck with the 39" cabover. The cabover will actually look more it's only 34" now since i have slopped the front wall to follow the angle on the back of my cab. Not being independently wealthy sucks!

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
What an excellent build!

I can say with absolute certainty that your build thread, with pictures will be greatly appreciated by all!

Your fabrication skills and detail are very good, and I look forward to seeing this develop.

Thanks for sharing.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
What an excellent build!

I can say with absolute certainty that your build thread, with pictures will be greatly appreciated by all!

Your fabrication skills and detail are very good, and I look forward to seeing this develop.

Thanks for sharing.

^^ What Aero Said! Great build, looking forward to seeing it! :ylsmoke:

GCecchetto

Adventurer
What an excellent build!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words!

Spent ALLLLL day in the shop yesterday. Boy did I underestimate the labor in the assembly process!

Here she is starting to come together.

2012-06-29_10-44-12_997.jpg

Ed Shuba at Custom Metals in Belmont CA welding his heart out and my wallet empty. If you are in Nor-Cal, and crazy enough to take on a custom build like this, I highly recommend these guys.

2012-06-29_17-22-27_979.jpg

We did also get the front of the cabover tacked together but there was so many clamps all over it that I didn't bother taking a photo of it. There has a been a couple of small "what the hell was I thinking when I did that?" moments, but all in all it's coming together very smoothly. Just taking more time than I thought. Dimensionally, everything is staying within 1/16", even when measuring diagonally across the top, including the cabover, to check for square. For something like this, with all the movement you get when welding, to be within a 1/16" for square is reasonably impressive. I think it really paid off to make sure the plywood tub was as precise as possible. I exported a 3D .dwg file from my model and had one of the casework contractors we work with cut the plywood for me on their giant CNC table saw.

Ed is in the shop today welding everything we got tacked yesterday. Wish I could be there too, but I have to get the house and yard ready for my son's 14th birthday tomorrow. I'm planning to take off half day on Monday to get back in the shop and try to get finished with the assembly.

I'll keep the photos coming as it progresses.

GCecchetto

Adventurer
Well, brought her home today. Still have the rear protection panel in the shop, should be picking it up tomorrow. Got it welded together today but it was late and there was no time to wait for it to cool so I could grind the welds and install it. I'm anxious to pick it up so I can complete the fabrication.

Here is a few photos, I really like the angled front wall to fit the cab. It also seems lighter than I thought it would be. All in all I'm happy with how it has turned out so fare, but there are a couple of spots that I need to give a little love to get them to where I will be happy. I'll try to post some detail photos on the 4th.

2012-07-02_18-15-42_566.jpg
2012-07-02_18-15-58_173.jpg
2012-07-02_18-16-11_318.jpg

tnt

Observer
Wow! Very impressive build so far. Hard to believe this is not an unlimited budget build. I don't see any compromise in quality going on here. Looking forward to seeing this continue.

Stan, like others I agree the angled front looks good. With all the great improvements FWC has made lately, maybe they can add this idea too?

Ted

johng

When the build is done and you are using the camper I hope you aren't planning on leaving the tailgate on are you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94