Kodiak tent questions

Honu

lost on the mainland
We had thos bunk cots for a bit :) super super comfy
In our kodiak 10x14 with bunks one each side four was very comfy with lots of room for getting rewdy and dog dpcrate in the middle etc...

Downside of course was all this was to big for our rig :) if I had a bigger rig those disc-o bunk cots cots and the kodiak is like a home :)
Also the way they convert to a chair and the pads and bags we had if we got stuck inside for some extra hours in a storm would make a comfy hang out :)

Also my ideas of setup changed a lot once the tent was up cause of the sideall slope door location etc.. Changed quite a bit :)
We did buy a canvas footprint from springbar for our kodiak :)

While we do not hqvemthe kodiak or the bunk cots do to weight and pack size its worth looking into those disc-o cots for the springbars :) if you want cots

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
We had thos bunk cots for a bit :) super super comfy
In our kodiak 10x14 with bunks one each side four was very comfy with lots of room for getting rewdy and dog dpcrate in the middle etc...

Downside of course was all this was to big for our rig :) if I had a bigger rig those disc-o bunk cots cots and the kodiak is like a home :)
Also the way they convert to a chair and the pads and bags we had if we got stuck inside for some extra hours in a storm would make a comfy hang out :)

Also my ideas of setup changed a lot once the tent was up cause of the sideall slope door location etc.. Changed quite a bit :)
We did buy a canvas footprint from springbar for our kodiak :)

While we do not hqvemthe kodiak or the bunk cots do to weight and pack size its worth looking into those disc-o cots for the springbars :) if you want cots

Can you elaborate more on the subject of the Disc-O-Bed Cam-O-Cot Bunk Beds in combination with the Kodiak 14 x 10 tent? Would you advise against it or for it? Are the sloped walls to much for the bunk cots?

Honu

lost on the mainland
also part of the setting out a canvas to get a idea helped us :) but again we had to rethink once it was up cause the door positions etc.. :) hope that makes sense :)

the disco cots we put them so they ran head to toe along the narrow side as far to each end as we could
I dont have any pics :( or I would post em thought I did but I dont :(

you end up with about a foot or so that is not used because of the angle but the savings of the bunk if you have a family of 4 makes up for it with extra space in the middle of the floor
also our kids loved to crawl in behind that area :) I can see how that would seem like a special fort back there :)

I think the disco are like 40 inches wide or 44 total ? the length of them makes them close to each end on the 10 foot end so you cant use that space to much more than to store empty bags etc..
basically it fills that one side and the other they are on and leaves you with something around 4 feet x the 10 foot length of the tent in the middle of the two to stand get ready etc..

also the setup for me was easy ? I know some complained about the beds but I had no issue
not sure as a adult I would want to sleep below another adult though :)

to give you a idea when you go in the door with the disco beds the round disc sticks out into the door about 6 inches maybe ?

I am all for it as long as you know they are heavy about 25 or so lbs each and kinda bulky ! which was our issue to heavy and bulky for us in our small rig ! if we had a pickup or something like a large suburban we would still have that combo !!

we thought the weight and comfort and setup time was worth it
not sure I would want to be setting that up nightly though !

I do think ya almost have to get them try them out etc.. see how they work I know cabellas caries them and you can return if not happy which is what we did

the cots we have now are the small light alps ones that are really low to the ground they are very comfy but the disc were more comfy !
pack size all 4 cots fit in the area of just one of the disco !!!

BBQ BOY

I received the Disco bed about a week ago. It has been set up i our second family room/den. They are great and anyone who says that assembling them is difficult needs to edit their post to keep them from looking silly. I put them together for the first time in about 5 minutes. I do't have my Kodiak 10x14 yet(on its way) but the rug in that family room is9x12 and we simulated the rug as the footprint of the tent floor. There is PLENTY of room for two sets of Disco beds.

Crom

Honu, Thanks for writing more. It helps and makes sense.

I received the Disco bed about a week ago. It has been set up i our second family room/den. They are great and anyone who says that assembling them is difficult needs to edit their post to keep them from looking silly. I put them together for the first time in about 5 minutes. I do't have my Kodiak 10x14 yet(on its way) but the rug in that family room is9x12 and we simulated the rug as the footprint of the tent floor. There is PLENTY of room for two sets of Disco beds.

GREAT!!! If you do a test setup, please take some pictures and post them. I would be most grateful. Also looking for a picture of how large the tent is when packed. Thanks if you can help.

Honu

lost on the mainland

Yeah they were easy :) made me wonder if someone took 20 minutes :) would hate to see them do other things :) hahhaaha

I had the idea if I kept mine I was going to use some duct tape on the pipes to keep them together and keep them inside the canvas bed part and just roll them up thought of using a larger diameter pvc pipe to store them in
That way when I got to camp I would just click on the disc ends and slide into the frame thought it would save some setup time

10x10 came today. set it up in teh yard and hosed it down per the instructions. kids played around in it and it seems to have alot more room than 10x10. i would say because of teh height. really satisfied with the quality of teh build/material. love the vinal floor. taking it out labor day weekend for a test run. i'll report back, but unless something unforeseen happens, i don't suspect my opinion will change.

cruisertoy

Explorer
I own both the 10x10 and the 10x14, I'm a scout master. I've had them for 3 yrs and they get used at least 20 nights a year. Scouts are hard on equippment, but they have held up great. The only thing I like better about my Springbar is the rope that goes around the whole base. The webbing stake loops on the Kodiak have worn more than I thin they should have. I need to sew in a second layer of webbing or something before they wear out.

BBQ BOY

I own both the 10x10 and the 10x14, I'm a scout master. I've had them for 3 yrs and they get used at least 20 nights a year. Scouts are hard on equippment, but they have held up great. The only thing I like better about my Springbar is the rope that goes around the whole base. The webbing stake loops on the Kodiak have worn more than I thin they should have. I need to sew in a second layer of webbing or something before they wear out.

and is there anything you like about the Kodiak over the Springbar? Also, does the 10x10 feel a good bit smaller than the 10x14?

cruisertoy

Explorer
The 10x10 is a perfect family size. I throw 6-7 boys in there with all their gear no problem. The 10x14 does feel huge. Frankly its often a pain to find a spot flat enough for it. The fabric quality seems to be equal in my unscientific opinion. Zippers all work on both. The main thing I like about he Kodiak is the price. That and I'm in Utah where both tents are made or distributed. I picked up show demos for a few hundred dollars off. The thing I hate about both the springbar and the Kodiak would be the weight. These things are heavy.

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Honu, Thanks for writing more. It helps and makes sense.

GREAT!!! If you do a test setup, please take some pictures and post them. I would be most grateful. Also looking for a picture of how large the tent is when packed. Thanks if you can help.

Here you go. This is in front of a 235/85R16 tire.

IMG_2382.jpg

Crom

I'm inching closer towards my purchase of the Kodiak tent for the family. I had a question for those of you with experience with the tent.

Can you cheat a little bit and not stake out every point? Could you stake out the four corners and maybe around the door side or would I have problems? Just wondering. Thanks.

Last edited:

Cowboy59

Observer
I kneel on mine to set it up. It's a stretch but at 6'4" you have 5" on me so it should be an easier reach for you. My family of 5 + large dog sleeps in ours very comfortably. Awesome tent. I use a tarp instead of the footprint though, seemed pointless to spend so much on the footprint when a tarp does the exact same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles