Laptop Screen Size

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I'm finally thinking about getting a laptop to tie in to my GPS (Garmin 60CSx) for navigation purposes. (To augment paper maps, not replace them.)

Simple question - is a 14" screen big enough or is a 15" preferred? I know bigger is better (3 monitors on my desktop!) but the cab of my truck only has so much room.

As far as the computer, I am considering a Panasonic Toughbook, and plan to swap in a solid state drive.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

OverlanderFJ62

I have been using a IBM Lenovo x220, (3 models in the x series) with the 12.5" HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, 2x2 Antenna. Its a personal thing as you will find out, this particular unit has exceeded my expectations and the solid state drive rocks. Super light weight, rugged with a fantastic backlit display.

I have owned others with larger screens, but felt they were taking up to much real-estate. When using a ram mount and/or something similar it still leaves room to spare without jeopardizing any visibility and leaves plenty of room for the passenger so their not crowded (depending on vehicle). Small enough to slide right into my security box. Just a few comments from my past Laptop usage and mistakes............ good luck

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Thanks.

I would rather have a small screen, but I wonder if you can really see enough map data.

I should probably buy the mapping software first, load it on my desktop, then see how small of a window will still be useful.

RobRed

Explorer
I'm using an iPad which has a 9.7" Screen and thats a lot of data in the cab. I would think a 14 would be too big.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I have a Panasonic Toughbook (CF-29)--"VIPER"

It has a 12" diag-screen--it's fine--

2012-febshooting009.jpg

Much bigger and it's hard to getta good "STURDY" mount-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Adventurer
:sombrero: I have a Panasonic Toughbook (CF-29)--"VIPER"

It has a 12" diag-screen--it's fine--

2012-febshooting009.jpg

Much bigger and it's hard to getta good "STURDY" mount-

HI Jimbo,
I also have a Toughbook CF29 with the touch screen. I have it mounted on a RAM mount. I agree with you. I think the screen size is about right for highly detailed topo maps when viewed from the driving position in my Jeep JK Unlimited. Normally the computer is pointed directly at me. If I need the passenger seat for a person the mount allows the computer position to be adjusted so the passenger can be seated without being terribly inconvenienced and I can still see it. Or the passenger can function as the navigator. If the screen were any bigger I would loose a lot of flexibility and not gain much. I think the larger screens look neat but are not as functional. The Toughbook itself is great.

I also can use the Toughbook in my other vehicle, a Jeep YJ. In the YJ the mount is totally different. The passenger seat has been replaced by an ARB fridge and the computer mount is on the lid of the fridge. It works really well. However there is not enough room for a larger screen size. Fortunately there is no need.

Sparky

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, yeah Sparky, mine is the RAM-VB-170-SW1, from GROUP MOBILE INC.-

It's incredibly strong and adjustable, I've had my viper mounted and taken some wild angles and dangles--very stable-and secure-

That touch screen makes a great driving/screen adj !

Good day

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the input.

I was looking yesterday, and see that you can find CF-29 Toughbooks for about $300. I think I will pursue this.

As an aside, I am thinking about replacing the hard disk with a solid-state device. Vibration proof and faster than a spinning platter - though not as large a capacity. I'll do a writeup on this when it happens (the project list is long....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior