2002 Nissan Pathfinder w/ Old Man Emu suspension

vengeful

Explorer
Wow Alex. That's got to be the most insightful post I've ever seen from you. LOL... :wavey: :victory: :p

nissandoms47

I know.. ill probably have to redesign my rear shock mounts pretty soon here to acommidate the new bilstein 7100 remote reservoir series shocks that im getting hehe..

Ronin152

Hey man I don't know if you know about www.4x4parts.com but they have a custom 2" lift kit. Did you know about that lift and if you did why did you pick OME over 4x4parts? Also did you use any type of strut spacer? Do your front struts top out? Are you happy with this lift and what is the ride like? How are the OME struts and shocks? Would I be better off to get Rancho struts and shocks and just use the springs? Did you experience any alignment problems? Did you have to adjust your rear load sensing brake adjustment valve? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

Moody

Needs to get out more
Ronin152 said:
Hey man I don't know if you know about www.4x4parts.com but they have a custom 2" lift kit. Did you know about that lift and if you did why did you pick OME over 4x4parts? Also did you use any type of strut spacer? Do your front struts top out? Are you happy with this lift and what is the ride like? How are the OME struts and shocks? Would I be better off to get Rancho struts and shocks and just use the springs? Thanks man.
I am familiar with 4x4parts. I chose the OME for a few reasons. I wanted to add a little height, but not a ton (this ended up to be right at about 1.75"), as this rig is my wife's and sees more pavement than dirt. We rarely ever camp out of it, as I have an 80 series Landcruiser that works better with 2 adults and 2 kids + gear. I also wanted something that could allow for more weight in the rear on a regular basis. we travel around with strollers, water, toys, etc. all the time, and I am confident that is one of the reasons I had the stock suspension sag out early. The OME has the option for 'heavy' which made the most sense. Lastly, I was able to source the kit locally from CruiserOutfitters, which is right around the corner.
I did not use any strut spacer, and yes, the struts top out.
I am very, very happy with the lift, as I have been with all of the OME suspensions (I ran it on my 62 series cruiser, now on my 80, and of course the Nissan). Ride is firm, but not stiff. My wife even likes it, which says a lot.
I think the OME struts and shocks are great. Compared to the stock units, I would dare say the OME are OVERbuilt for this application.

Can't say about the Rancho...I had some of their shocks on my 2001 Tacoma and those were sure nice...but the OME is specifically tuned for the particular vehicle.

On a side note, handling around corners and such is noticeably tighter than before...and my tires are on their way out too...

HTH

Ronin152

Does the strut topping out damage the strut? Any alignment issues? Or the Brake valve? Thanks man I appreciate it.

Moody

Needs to get out more
Ronin152 said:
Does the strut topping out damage the strut? Any alignment issues? Or the Brake valve? Thanks man I appreciate it.
I guess I should say it bottoms out, more than 'tops out' meaning that when the suspension cycles down, it makes a bit of a 'cunk' that at first I thought was something installed incorrectly, but later found out it was fine. -I also had it checked by a professional-
Alignment was still within spec. and the tires seem to be wearing evenly...despite my wife waiting well over 5-7k to rotate. I purchased the ABS kit along with the lift to keep everything intact. After the first few snowstorms, it was evident that the abs still worked correctly...:oops:

When we replace the tires, I will change them from a 255/65/16 to a 245/75/16 or a 245/70/16 for a bit more height (leaning towards the 245/70).

Ronin152

What is the ABS kit and where do you find that? Thanks so much for the help man. Sorry that was the last question. I am probaly going to go with the OME kit over the AC one because it just seems like the OME is meant to be good all over and will not just be a strictly and offroad kit. Thanks man.

madizell

Explorer
When you lifted the suspension, did you also raise bump stops? Struts (or shocks) should not be allowed to top or bottom out. The shock should not be the limiting device on suspension travel.

Moody

Needs to get out more
Ronin152 said:
What is the ABS kit and where do you find that? Thanks so much for the help man. Sorry that was the last question. I am probaly going to go with the OME kit over the AC one because it just seems like the OME is meant to be good all over and will not just be a strictly and offroad kit. Thanks man.
The ABS kit came as an option from OME. I bought the whole shebang from Cruiser Outfitters.

Moody

Needs to get out more
madizell said:
When you lifted the suspension, did you also raise bump stops? Struts (or shocks) should not be allowed to top or bottom out. The shock should not be the limiting device on suspension travel.
I made no modifications to the front end struts. I believe someone in this thread (or maybe another one I started about this) said the noise I was hearing was normal.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in here?

Ronin152

Hey man how much did the total package come to? Whats your best guess as to the max tire size you could get with this package? Could you get 32s? Thanks.

Moody

Needs to get out more
Ronin152 said:
Hey man how much did the total package come to? Whats your best guess as to the max tire size you could get with this package? Could you get 32s? Thanks.
I can't recall the cost, I would have to dig through the pile of receipts I have. Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters has it available.

I would imagine you could throw a 265/75/16 on there, but it would rub if you were doing heavy off-roading with lots of tire tucking and such. If it was simply driving down dirt roads with the occasional obstacle to traverse, I think you would be fine with the 265.
We just have the stock 255/65/16 which is something like a 29" tire. I plan on bumping the size up a tiny bit when the set on there wears a bit more, but I won't go any bigger than a 245/75/16.
Hope that helps...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles