2002 Nissan Pathfinder w/ Old Man Emu suspension

Moody

Needs to get out more
Before, it was sagging heavily and bottoming out on bumps:
LakePowellAmericanForkAugSept.2007076.jpg

After, with a little height (I read it has gained 1.75" for most) it rides much nicer and doesn't bottom out anymore...
LakePowellAmericanForkAugSept.2007103.jpg

vengeful

Explorer
Very very nice Mr. Moody!

Would you be able to get me a couple of close-up shots of the upper rear shock mounts?

Moody

Needs to get out more
vengeful said:
Very very nice Mr. Moody!

Would you be able to get me a couple of close-up shots of the upper rear shock mounts?
Sure, I will do so...

Moody

Needs to get out more
The BN Guy said:
Nice Pathy. Just one problem...not enough mod's!
Yeah, yeah...but that is why I have this:
IMG_1952.jpg

The Nissan is the wife's rig. We usually use this vehicle for lighter-duty type runs where off-road capability and such are not needed, like mountain biking trips, boat trips, fishing, etc. It was fairly capable in stock form, but I was always afraid I would tear something off, or hit the running boards off-road. Since the suspension was pretty much shot, we thought it would be better to give it a tiny bit of lift. I would like to put the ARB front bumper on it, but every time I bring it up to my wife she gives me 'the look'. I am scared of that look.:yikes:

articulate

Expedition Leader
No kidding. I like your "family fleet." Am always pleased with OME suspension, too. What year is and how many miles are on the Pathfinder? Just curious.

Moody

Needs to get out more
articulate said:
No kidding. I like your "family fleet." Am always pleased with OME suspension, too. What year is and how many miles are on the Pathfinder? Just curious.
Thanks. The Pathy is a 2002, and it just turned 70k. We haul around a bunch of junk with two kids, so I think that contributed to the early failure of the rear end suspension. I am very pleased with the suspension from OME. I had it on my old LC 62 series, and now on the 80, and now the Nissan. Before, the ride was kind of 'floaty' which was fine for the most part, but I like a more positive feel. Now it is firm, but not bone-jarring.

Kurt- ride is excellent. It does look better, doesn't it? I am now not so afraid of tearing off exhaust, running boards, or the like. I am sure in the next 2 weeks or so it will settle out a bit as well. I still really can't believe how sagged out the rear was...

vengeful

Explorer
My rear suspension on mine was shot at 46k miles. Considering your use, I'm actually somewhat surprised it lasted as long as it did.:oops:

Moody

Needs to get out more
vengeful said:
My rear suspension on mine was shot at 46k miles. Considering your use, I'm actually somewhat surprised it lasted as long as it did.:oops:
Wow...I guess I should say it started to go out at about 50k, but was completely out by about 60k, and we could tell the front end was quickly on its way out as well...

Trogdor

Observer
Your pathy looks alot better, what tires are you going to put on it? Let me know when you are going off road.

Moody

Needs to get out more
Trogdor said:
Your pathy looks alot better, what tires are you going to put on it? Let me know when you are going off road.
I don't plan on putting anything other than stock size on there. They are a 255/65/16 which is sort of a rare size, so they are pricey, but whenever those die out, I will replace with a 245/70/16 which is about .5" taller and equally narrower. Not only are the 245's a bit taller, they can be found for 40-80 dollars less for each tire. Apparently some 2002's that were more 'plain-jane' packages came stock with the 245's, so I feel good about that... I do plan to put something that can do a little better in the snow/dirt though...the tires I have now almost require 4wd in the snow, heavy or light.

Moody

Needs to get out more
We have now put a thousand miles on it since the new suspension. It has a slight 'clunk' from the front struts that I can't seem to track down. It doesn't happen all the time, so I am wondering if it just needs to settle in a bit more? It rides more firmly, but not jarring. I am very pleased with it overall. The rear sits slightly higher than the front, but I am sure with a load back there it will be just right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles