Choice for Family Adventure Vehicle

bs1865

Observer
Howdy Expedition Forum!

Pretty new around her, but have been hanging out for a bit mostly reading and learning about all things expedition, having a blast at that. My question is in regards to an ideal family vehicle (2 adults, 3 kids) for Lower 48 US camping/adventure travel consisting of visiting State/National Parks, camping in somewhat remote areas with fire road and light 4x4 access, long highway road trips to desired destinations and the ability to pull my modified/lightened m101a2 trailer.

As of now, my top two contenders are 2003-2007 LX470/Land Cruiser or 2003 Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel.

Your specific thoughts and experience is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Robert

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
I'm looking for similar. How many days long do you expect your typical trip to last? A few days, a few weeks, etc? How much stuff do y'all bring?

Adventurer
Have you considered a Yukon XL or Suburban? Both great family cruisers, decent gas mileage if you get the 1500, and capable 4x4s.. The list you have is great but the LX 470 and Cruiser might be a tad small for 3 growing kids.. The Excursion is a towing machine, but seems like overkill for your trailer plus the gas mileage on those is not that great.. None of your choices are bad, just kinda that the gap betweeen the first 2 and Excursion is a little broad.. I think either an XL or Suburban would fit right in the middle and meet your needs perfectly... Just my 2..

bs1865

Observer
I'm looking for similar. How many days long do you expect your typical trip to last? A few days, a few weeks, etc? How much stuff do y'all bring?
We are moving down from a full size pop-camper, looking to go more svelte in our travels. Trips range from your basic weekend getaway - one to two quick nights, to extended trips up to 10 days. Live in Texas, lots to see here, plus enjoy traveling out west and hope to go many new places as well.

haven

Expedition Leader
Sitting kids three abreast is a recipe for disaster, particularly on long trips. The third row in vehicles like the Land Cruiser and LR3 is tight, and takes away your interior cargo space (I guess that's what the trailer is for.) The Suburban is a good choice.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
We're a family of 5 as well. We have two cars:

2007 ford edge
1992 jeep cherokee

We travel with all 3 kids and associated cargo on a regular basis.
Both are able to tow several thousands pounds and have done so with ease.
Both are able to take a thule box on top, and/or a hitch mounted cargo basket or swing-away box.
The edge comes in AWD and is a great unsealed road/sealed road traveller.
The jeep is a tractor, and leaves something to be desired on the highway, but kills it in most any offroad situation.

That being said, the edge is VERY comfortable with 3 kids on long trips. Three carseats fit just fine.

Jeep is getting too small for my liking when EVERYone is loaded, but works fine for short jaunts.

As such, I've actually been considering these vehicles as a replacement for the jeep:

Honda pilot
Ford excursion
Ford expedition
Mitsu Montero 3rd gen
Chevy astro/GMC Safari
Chevy suburban
Chevy/GMC crew cab pickup

The truth is we only have a few choices, as far as I can see:

1. Find a car wide enough for three across and maintain your rear cargo area (Pilot, crew cab, etc)
2. Find a car with a third row, and chose to carry cargo outside the vehicle in cargo attachments. (fj80, montero, Pilot using 3 rows, etc)
3. Find a car big enough to carry 3 rows of 1-3 people each AND rear cargo, whilst dealing with the negatives of a larger vehicle. (Excursion, expedition, suburban)'

Negatives of big vehicle:

-Poor fuel mileage with larger motors, though larger gassers seem very much trouble-free (Ford V10, Chevy 454, etc)
-Decent fuel mileage with diesel, but high repair and component costs - It simply costs more to maintain a diesel truck motor.
- Largish turning circle, especially hampering offroad or in tight city's like San francico, Los angeles, etc
-Parking a huge vehicle - My MIL has a crew cab dually. Parking is ALWAYS an adventure.

If those aren't scaring you off, I'd definitely go with the newest example that you prefer. they're well supported with parts houses and will very much allow your family to spread out and within reason, bring the things they desire on a trip without having a bunch of cargo carriers hanging off the truck further killing your mpg's.

Last edited:

Calplaya

Adventurer
There are programmers that can help improve the gas mileage of the 7.3L, along with a larger exhaust and air intake kit, and youl be good to go. third row seating with plenty of cargo space left over to spare and you can tow a ton if need be. Also you get the reliability of a Diesel. That being said, they are expensive to maintain. close to 100 bucks for an oil change, injectors arnt cheap, and they will go out, and just general maintanance is expensive on all diesels. The 5.3L in a Tahoe or Suburban is hard to beat, and with an air intake and a programmer youd be surprised how nice the fuel economy can be. dont get one with cloth seats tho, they are rock hard. Leather is the only way to go in my mind. Also, i have seen a bunch of 5.3Ls with over 500k miles on them, they have the reliability of a diesel really. And their regular maintenance is not near as high.

bs1865

Observer
Great feedback, thank you to all who have contributed! Currently, my "excursion vehicle" is a 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 4x2 5.9L Diesel. It has been the Bomb, with exceptional MPGs!! However, without 4x4 and without 3rd row seats, it is no longer the great vehicle that befit so many of our previous trips - Central Texas to...San Diego, Durango, Arkansas. When the kids were younger, they are now 5, 10 and 12, it offered plenty of internal space, external bed and the ability to haul anything practically.

So it is the desire to get off the beaten patch with 3 rows and some mild hauling capacity that warrants the "new" rig.

Paladin1

I mainly lurk here as I think it will take years for me to adsorb the wisdom here. That being said, I have the same situation. 2 adults, 3 kids. 100lb dog. I have done quite a bit of camping, mostly primitive. But now trying to get the wife/kids involved.

I went with a F250 SD FX4 shortbed. With very few modifications it's very capable off-road, I can carry/tow all the creature comforts the family needs.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I mainly lurk here as I think it will take years for me to adsorb the wisdom here. That being said, I have the same situation. 2 adults, 3 kids. 100lb dog. I have done quite a bit of camping, mostly primitive. But now trying to get the wife/kids involved.

I went with a F250 SD FX4 shortbed. With very few modifications it's very capable off-road, I can carry/tow all the creature comforts the family needs.

thumbs up...that's a great choice, IMO. Do you have the V10 or the PSD? Any thoughts having owned it for a bit?

-BD

Paladin1

thumbs up...that's a great choice, IMO. Do you have the V10 or the PSD? Any thoughts having owned it for a bit?

-BD

I have the PSD. I bought it with eyes wide open with 206K miles. It was a one owner, all maintenance records from dealer, not a scratch on it kind of deal. So I rolled the dice. (the price was right too)

I'm up to 220+k and so far I've had the FICM act up, re-soldered it and it's fine. The I got the death wobble, was kind of waiting for that with so many miles. I just rebuilt the entire front end and it's tight as new.

I intend to go through the standard 6.0 bulletproof protocols. While some avoid the 6.0 I believe that at the end of day, after you've spent the time/money you'll have a great motor. All vehicles have their faults IMO.

Since this is my poor man's expo vehicle I don't mind rebuilding it as I learn as I go and once a component is replaced/rebuilt I know what I have. I have a family trial run to a national park coming up, it's far from complete but this will be a good shake down before any long range trips.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I chose the 'burb route, found an '00 w/35k miles, 2500 4x4. Fuel mileage is about the same as the JKU, size isn't bad, ride decent with IFS, and HD enough with 33s. So far so good, and we only have a 5&7 yo as well as my 22yo, but the 'burb gives tons of flexibility from routine swim team car pool vehicle, to exploring most anywhere shy of true 4x4 trails. Gravel, and single tracks are no biggie. And as the kids add a friend, all is good. I have had 4x4 CC trucks, LR3s, 110s and 130s, but there is a reason the burbs are so popular- extremely reliable, cheap to keep, and as long as we are just roaming North America, what's not to like? Now, if I head back to Central America again, back to Defenders of the diesel variety.

there is a reason the burbs are so popular

...what rover said...we have four kids 10yo though 16yo and our '04 Z71 suburban has worked out perfectly for us. A previous poster is right about three kids across the second row - not a good arrangement for anything longer than a short trip in town...My brother in law has a 80 series LC and when the third row is deployed, his cargo capacity vanishes, so when we vacation together, part of his cargo goes in the back of my suburban..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier