Ford F250 Project, input needed on drivetrain options 6.9 IDI vs. 7.3 powerstroke etc

96discoXD

Adventurer
My dad has a 1987 Ford F250 4x4 diesel that he no longer uses since he now has three 7.3 powerstroke diesel superduty pickups
Long story short I'm buying the '87 from him on the cheap. It has around 130k on the odometer with the original 6.9 idi engine, C6 trans and whatever the stock transfer case is. The cab is shot so I'm swapping on a nice rust-free 1997 cab and front clip that he picked up a year or so ago.

This brings me to a crossroads of sorts. If I keep the 6.9 I need to swap wiring harnesses and dashes between the cabs. I know the 6.9 IDI is a simple and bulletproof motor and the simplicity and robustness is appealing to me. However I have two other options at my disposal.

First, leave in the 6.9 IDI but install a banks turbo kit my father has to wake it up a bit. The upside is I can keep most of the simplicity of the 6.9, the downside is still needing to swap wiring harnesses and dashes.

Second, remove the 6.9 IDI, C6 et al and install the 1997 powerstroke 7.3 (he bought it with the cab and it has the entire harness) along with a 6-speed manual trans from a 2000 super duty along with the transfer case.
I'm still researching compatibility and other items needed for the swap. My question on this option is two-fold.
1. has anyone seen this swap done with an older powerstroke 7.3 coupled to a 6-speed manual?
2. Is it worth the added complication or am I better off with the 6.9 IDI as is or with the banks kit installed?

The truck will get a lot of highway and backroad use with a little moderate wheeling thrown in here and there. It may get more offroad use down the road, but not until I replace the TTB with a Dana 60 solid front axle from a F350. I'm sure the mileage with the powerstroke and 6-speed manual would be much better than the 6.9 IDI/C6 combo, but this won't be a daily driver so that is a secondary concern.

Any input from those who have more experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Calplaya

Adventurer
As much as I love the 7.3L (and thats a lot haha) Id have to say my vote is for doing the cab swap while retaining the original drivetrain and throwing on the bigger turbo. Its diffrent and fun, and you get the bulletproffness of a low mileage, freshened up beast in the making.

Revco

Adventurer
I say you sell both Ford diesel engines and set a 12-Valve Cummins between the fenders. :smiley_drive:

Rot Box

Explorer
If you want my opinion I'd keep the IDI. The only advantage to the PSD is the ability to get more power out of them cheaper and easier thanks to much more aftermarket support. IDI's are as simple as a hammer, built to work hard, parts are literally everywhere and they're very reliable. I'm not sure what harness you're referring to but the transmission pretty much runs itself and the engine has minimal electronics (1 wire). A healthy IDI with a turbo kit (like your Banks) will produce decent power unless you plan to haul heavy--as in big 5th wheel heavy--if thats the case they will handle the load fine just get used to the slow lane lol. Are you sure you want to swap cabs and take on such a big project? Clean F250 IDI's can be had for dirt cheap these days it might be best to find a nice one and just use the 87 for a parts truck--unless you like big projects or have sentimental value towards it.

If you do go with the 6.9 while you're in there you should replace the injector return line o-rings and put a new seal kit in the oil cooler for cheap insurance. Also it is well worth it to only use the Motorcraft/Beru glow plugs. The GP's alone will make or break your relationship with an IDI. There are a few IDI guys here but your best bet is to head over to http://www.oilburners.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?34-6-9L-IH-amp-7-3L-IDI-Diesels for more IDI info than you'll need and then some :) I know my way around them pretty good as well if you have an questions please feel free to PM me.

I say you sell both Ford diesel engines and set a 12-Valve Cummins between the fenders. :smiley_drive:

Hey you stay out of this! :coffeedrink: LOL J/K

96discoXD

Adventurer
The cummins is tempting but they seem to go for stupid money right now.

Rot Box, you bring up a lot of good points. I was told I would need to swap wiring harnesses primarily because the dash in the 97 is all electronic whereas the dash in the 87 isn't, thus the gauges in the 97 dash wouldn't function properly with the old IDI.

I don't plan to do any heavy towing and frankly if I did I would borrow my dad's F350 SD 7.3 powerstroke with a tune, that thing is a beast! I know it would be a lot of work but up here it's hard to find any of the older fords that don't have rust issues so short of locating one that's not local and probably paying a premium it's the best option. The plus side is that my father has owned that truck for probably 10-12 years and has gone through almost every part of it so it's a known quantity in terms of condition and service.

Would installing the banks kit be worth doing in terms of mileage and power or is it going to add too much complication relative to finding parts etcetera while on the road?

dd76522

Just my .02 but I'd definetly stick with the IDI, I dd one right now with 4.10s and alternate between 37s and 38.5, for the size tires it's pretty low don't worry;), mine has been dead reliable after sorting out the normal IDI return system issues and i agree the glow plugs will make or break it for you but theres plenty of info online for a few easy fixes.
Turbo! Turbo! Turbo! if the Banks turbo is in good shape i'd install it in a second! even when my truck was stock i got passed by everything including small children on bikes... bigger tires definetly doesn't help, proper gearing would but... stock if i recall 60-65mph was maxed out, now i can can easily do 70 on flat ground (if theres no headwind) it'll do 75 which is the speed limit on I-20 here but it's not a happy feeling, a turbo would definetly improve all of that!
Mine is also with the C6 which while not having overdrive is a pretty bullet proof tranny as long as you take care of it like any other auto, your 87 should have either a Borg-Warner 1354/1356 which are decent cases and in four low should provide pretty good gearing and power, i haven't wheeled with the 37s but on the 38.5s i can get stuck on a basket ball size rock in four high due to not having enough power, drop it in four low and off you go
As for the PSD they're great while they're trouble free but i personally don't enjoy working on them or paying for the parts, i put new injectors and return lines on my 6.9 for $120 versus the last 6.0 I did was $240 each i think?

Rot Box

Explorer
Would installing the banks kit be worth doing in terms of mileage and power or is it going to add too much complication relative to finding parts etcetera while on the road?

I agree with dd76522 yes by all means add the turbo especially when you're swapping cabs (ease of installation). The difference they make in power for the IDI is night and day and there is no more complexity/trouble finding parts than any other turbo diesel on the road imo. Turbo's also increase reliability in these engines by keeping the exhaust gas temperature down. Anyone towing a load in high elevation/mountain grades with a N/A diesel knows exactly what I am talking about :Wow1: Is it a Sidewinder model or the old non-waste gated unit? The 6.9's have 7/16" head bolts whereas the later 7.3 used 1/2". That being said some 6.9's would stretch the bolts and spit head gaskets once the turbo's were added. I have seen turbocharged 6.9's with well over 250k before that never had that issue but others have been less fortunate. It is common to see aftermarket ARP head studs added to eliminate the chance of that happening. Would that keep me from adding a turbo to a 6.9? Nope! :bike_rider:

Shiryas

Adventurer
I have a 97 CCLB 4x4 Powerstroke, great engine and I have been very happy with the truck.

I would stick with the IDI as well and go with the Banks turbo. If there is no intercooler I would look at putting a 99+ intercooler from an SD in there, you might try getting a hold of wallace2000 http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...uty-Upgrades?p=1134951&highlight=#post1134951 since he just put a larger turbo in his SD. Rotbox should be able to point you in the right direction as far as forums go for that engine, but oilburners comes to mind.

Transmission should be upgraded from the C6 I think. The ZF units have a decent reputation, the earlier ZF5 units were S-42 units were used up to 95 but some did make there way on to the Powerstroke. The S-42 did not like all the increase in Torque and so Ford updated/upgraded to the S-47 unit that is a bit stouter. The ZF6 transmission is great, two of our F550 Brush Trucks have them and I really like it, it is a lot smoother than the 5 speed and the gear splits work well for the diesel. There have been some swapped into the F series OBS but I believe the fire wall has to me massaged and maybe also a body lift, I am not sure but I think they are longer and the "bubble" on the floor does not match for the xfer case, I would suggest you research this a bit more. I think the IDI would really like the 6 speed if it will bolt up.

FYI: The 460 5 speeds and Diesel 5 speeds are not interchangeable and the bell housing is cast with the transmission case.

I would work towards removing the donor OBS body harness and simplifying it to match the IDI. If you are going to try and keep AC, the 87 controls are cables I believe, and I know the 95-97 are vacuum controlled. Lights, power windows, and some simple gauges.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

96discoXD

Adventurer
Lots of good info guys thanks for the input!

dd76522, do you have any pics of your truck on the 37's? I'm thinking of trimming and putting 35's on this truck with no lift or maybe a very slight body lift since I need to swap cabs anyway. I will probably need to regear ultimately though since this truck currently has 3.55's. I'll wait until I get the Dana 60 solid front axle and swap to 4.10 or so to install the 35's.

Rot Box, I don't know if it's a sidewinder or not WG kit, I'll have to check on that. Maybe I'll just preemptively install head studs and a new head gasket if I install the turbo. I'll definitely install the turbo with the cab and front clip off the chassis though, should make for a much easier installation.

Shiryas, I will likely keep the C6 for the time being. that said i believe my father picked up a ZF6 gearbox and transfer case today. I will probably swap that in if i end up doing the PSD down the road.

Shiryas

Adventurer
96discoXD, if only you lived closer.

My truck will soon be getting 05 axles and suspension. I am going to be selling off my D60 & 10.25 w/ 4.10's and rear LSD.

Attachments

• IMG_2609.jpg
    IMG_2609.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 10

96discoXD

Adventurer
No kidding, I was looking at doing a 1999-2004 D60/Sterling 10.5 swap but I figured just swapping in the correct Dana 60 was easier.

Why the 05, better ride quality with the coils or better articulation?

dd76522

f350a.jpg

f350b.jpg

Its faaaaar from done but enough so you get the idea, if you need to see something specific just let me know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles