Colorado Trail Race - Wish me luck

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
A couple years ago Scott Brady asked me if I'd be up for a big ultra race, and to do it flying the colors for Overland Journal. Last year, my schedule just didn't accommodate such a big ride. This year, I've been logging 20+ hour weeks on the bike, often on the trail by 4:15 am. I feel great, have already made one walk-up to the podium this year, and I'm ready to take on the CTR. For those unfamiliar with the CTR, many have touted it as the hardest mountain bike race in North America. It's an unsupported race on the demanding Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango. The rules are simple. Stay the course. Ride alone. Carry your own food and gear. Make it to Durango as fast as you can. Results are tracked by Spot satellite tracker. Racers can depart on their chosen date, or start during a mass start on August, 1.

I will post a link to my Spot tracker page on July, 17th for anyone interested in following my progress.

Here are the beastly digits:

The Colorado Trail Race
- Total miles: 498
- Miles of singletrack: 387
- Average altitude is around 9,000 feet
- Total feet of climbing - 65,000

My Personal Digits
- Bike weight: 21.7 pounds
- Total gear weight minus food and water: 8.9 pounds.
- Miles I've logged getting ready since Jan, 1: 2,600 miles on the road. 2,376 miles on the mountain bike. 423 hours total.
- 145 miles running (which sucked)
- 4,000+ crunches...my core is still unimpressive. :) Bummer.

Since this has been almost three years in the planning, I thought I would share my preparations.

The Bike: Form Cycles, Custom Ti Prevail 29er with custom post.
formpacksmed.jpg
This bike was almost purpose built for this ride. On race day, it will be fitted with a 1x9 drive train. Why not 10? No real reason I can justify. The frame bag is made by Revelate and the tail bag by Carousel Design Works. For this trip, I'm going to skip a bar bag. Some have already doubted my decision to run carbon rims, but I have ample faith that these rims are more durable than any metal rim I've ever used.

The Gear:

hornet-1.jpg
Osprey Hornet 24. I wanted something very light without loosing features. This will hold a 3L reservoir, the bulk of my water stores.

msr.jpg
MSR Bivy. I'm planning to take short naps as needed and can only afford 1 pound for my shelter. We're old friends, me and this bivy.

neoair.jpg
NeoAir Xlite 3/4. This pad rolls up so small, it literally fits in a jersey pocket. Darn comfy for what it is. I'm only planning on 4-5 hours of sleep each night, so it has to be good sleep.

phantom.jpg
This is my one luxury item. 800 fill. 32 degrees. If it gets ugly, this will have to be home.

crux-1.jpg
Optimus Crux Stove. I've experimented with Esbit cubes, alcohol stoves and all the other uber-light options. At 63 grams, you can't beat this stove. Given I will need to consume 3000+ calories a day, one warm meal will be good for my spirits each day.

Other important pieces:

- Rab Helium rain jacket - 257 grams.
- First Ascent MicroTherm Down Shirt (the one I reviewed in the OJ spring newsletter)
- Steripen and bottle top filter. Still the lightest solution I could find aside from using chemicals.
- Garmin eTrex 30 for navigation. (iPhone as a backup)
- Repair kit, First aid, spare tube, multi-tool, duct tape, zip ties, super glue.

Mr. D

Adventurer
Good luck and have a safe successful journey.

the link to your spot would be fun to follow

fairweather

Observer
Just what I needed, more little dots to follow! The spot really makes these type of races a spectator sport, happy spinning!

Sounds like your training is sufficient(!) so hopefully you'll have good weather and no mechanicals, bike or human.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If anyone would like to follow my progress on the CTR, or follow the other racers, heres' the link to this year's CTR Leader Board:

My link:
http://trackleaders.com/ctri.php?name=Christophe_Noel
My link will be active starting July, 19th at 6:30 when I hit the trail.

The race leader board:
http://trackleaders.com/ctr

Racers can do the race as an individual time trial or as a mass start event on Aug, 30th.

Looks like I'll have favorable weather with typical mountain showers every day. This is gonna hurt. :)

riverfever

Adventurer
Does anyone know Christophe THAT well? His SPOT has not moved in a long time now and still shows him in Breck. I'm thinking he didn't power it down and re-start it after 24 hours and now it's stopped tracking. Does hew know how they work? Anyone?

A

agavelvr

Does anyone know Christophe THAT well? His SPOT has not moved in a long time now and still shows him in Breck. I'm thinking he didn't power it down and re-start it after 24 hours and now it's stopped tracking. Does hew know how they work? Anyone?

I don't know him, but I'de guess he powered it down when he went to bed, as there are no track points in the evening.
It looks like he may have run into a big issue, having spent nearly 3hrs within 1/2 a mile of his last track point. Hopefully he just caught a ride to Brekenridge for a brew.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Hello ExPo friends. My Spot dot stopped in Breck along with my race effort. I'll expand on my attempt later, but give the short overview. I started okay, never found a rythm, and crossed over the South Platte feeling average at best. It was 90 degrees through the burn scar for an hour or two. That was pretty brutal. By Bailey I felt like poo. By Kenosha I had tossed my cookies a few times, and clearly felt "off". I knew well by then something was not right. I slept below Georgia pass after 14,000 ft of gain for the day and fried in my bivy with what I assume now was a fever during the night. The ride to Breck was a death march. I had family extract me from Frisco and I spent yesterday shaking a fever and a sore throat. Maybe I got a bug on the flight up.

At any rate something was majorly wrong with my motor. Doing the ride feeling great is hard enough. Doing it feeling less than healthy is too much.

I'm not a quiter, but not stupid either. Pushing over to Copper seemed like a bad idea and feeling crappy today, I'm glad I stopped in Breck.

For River and other racers headed out later, water was scarce in spots, but not impossible to find. Expect to carry more than usual. The temps out of S Platte are evil. Start early. Breck was hotter than hell as well.

Next year....

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Glad you are OK and glad you were smart enough not to do something stupid! Your training sounds like you should have a great fall season.... cyclocross?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Cross is a great idea. I'm as fit as I've been in a couple years so I don't want it to go to waste.

I have to say, I'm extremely bummed about calling it quits in just 100 miles of the CTR, but it was NOT going well. I rolled down the switchbacks into Breck, puked, crawled under a tree by HWY 9 and spent 2 hours wondering what to do next. Thats why my dot lingered in Breck for so long.

I then made the decision to continue. I slipped on my pack, headed up the trail and within a few hundred feet had to stop. I was super weak and it just didn't feel like a lack of calories. That was a dark moment.

But, the trail will still be there next year.

riverfever

Adventurer
I know it's a tough pill to swallow Christophe...but try not to dwell on this. That trail is not going anywhere and this effort is not indicative of you in any way. A week before I was to start last year I came down with a sore throat and went to my doctor and told her I thought I had Strep. They sampled it and said I did not. When I got close to Georgia it was early evening with no rain and I had on every piece of gear (including down coat) and was freezing and I am never cold. I finally made the decision to pull the plug after laying there for a few hours thinking about things. A week later my doctor called to say that I did in fact have Strep. I now have a new doctor.

Glad you were able to get out of it safely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne