Happycampers on Tour

Happycamper

Adventurer
After picking up Amanda on Tuesday we set off late morning. Sensational drive up through Whistler where we had a lunch stop and a walk around. Interesting to see the ski fields being used for summer pursuits like mountain biking and ziplining. Ended up that day at a Green Lake campground.

800 km followed on Wednesday and a great campsite looking at a glacier and two waterfalls on Hudson's Bay Mountain.

Another big day of 750km finds us at Dease Lake. Beautiful view and the thunderstorms seem to be passing around us. We will be cosy in the FWC.

The Dodge is marvellous; it loves cruising along at 60 mph and sips the diesel at about 20 mpg (Aussie gallon).

Billhilly

Adventurer
Hey Happycamper, Great setup you got there.
You are in one of my favourite areas of the world right now, and are heading into what I hope to see in a few years. I've been to Smithers three times, and plan on heading to Deadhorse diner for breakfast one day. Congrats on getting it all organised, and getting out and doing it!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Sorry I missed you guy's last week, I got back to Fernley on the 24th and I'll be here for a while--

The Boeing industry is a real treat, Heh Heh, I visited them In the 50's, at MOSES LAKE-

I'll keep an eye on your posts-

Good luck and enjoy-

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Happycamper

Adventurer
Fellow Overlander

Our day after the camp at Glacier view camp consisted of a walk to the falls coming off the glacier , on the waterfront with a beautiful view. We did meet a few mosquitoes here that wanted to eat us. This is a constant issue here when outdoors and the deet repellants seem to work OK .

It rained overnight so we slept in, packed up a wet tarp and got away by 1000, late by our standards. Stopped at a Jade selling place an hour later for coffee and we continued to Whitehorse for supplies.

Here we met Ben Davenport “Cornwall2Capehorn” who after crossing Russia a year ago has fallen in love with Canada and his travel has stalled temporarily. We had a good night with him and were inspired to get on with it!

Next day was to be a diversion as we headed south to enter Alaska at Skagway, take the Alaska marine highway ferry to Haines. This area has a fascinating history as the stepping-on point for the goldminers heading to the Klondike in the 1890’s.Skagway is very tourist orientated as up to 5 cruise ships stop here daily through the summer! People everywhere. We were happy to get on the ferry. Haines is much more overlander friendly!

Sunday was spent bear spotting at Haines, checking out the fishing, the salmon are starting their run upstream to spawn, and then driving north to Alaska again. We rentered Alaska at 1800 and ended the day at the Border City Lodge, which is essentially a roadhouse with campsites out the back. Adequate for us. Today – Fairbanks

Attachments

• IMG_5633.jpg
    IMG_5633.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5674 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_5674 - Copy.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5708 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_5708 - Copy.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5709.jpg
    IMG_5709.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5733.jpg
    IMG_5733.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5748.jpg
    IMG_5748.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5762.jpg
    IMG_5762.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5794.jpg
    IMG_5794.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5796.jpg
    IMG_5796.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5801.JPG
    IMG_5801.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 43

Happycamper

Adventurer
Captions?

Imagine these with the previous post, you decide which goes where!

Keen followers will notice the non Engel refridgerator, at least it is not called a Waeco over here. (but it sure looks like one!)

Lunch spot.

Evening work station.

We saw a man catch a fish, trout I think, and release it.

The way to Skagway was foggy and misty

Ferry we took from Skagway to Haines.

Two blokes doing a survey/count of the number of salmon going up stream to spawn, presently about 1000 per day.

Grizzly bear crossing the road between a house and some camps.,

etc, etc

Our excitement for today came when we checked in at our RV park and saw a sign on the wall saying the road to Prudhoe Bay is closed on Tuesday!! Further research reveals that it may be closed between 0700 - 1900 or it may require pilot cars to get us through the work area, which is between about 86 - 100 miles from Fairbanks. We cannot get there before the start so plan to head off after lunch and arrive close to the end of the work time, use the long evening to get to our half way point. Plan B is to sleep wherever we end up. Will let you know in a few days how we go.

The North calls.

Happycamper

Adventurer
Prudhoe Bay visited

Big country.
Big sky (24 hours light)
Long road
Unbelievable wildlife
Big river(s)
Big achievement! Yay.

Dalton Highway completed, up and back. 1 puncture the only mechanical issue. Weather was OK to cool and foggy/rainy on the second and third days, otherwise fine. Roads were very good, lots of dirt but compared with our remote places, Birdsville track, Plenty Highway, Cape road, etc, were like freeways. Speed limit 50 mph, little corrugation well maintained and signed and pretty much all weather. Accessible to all vehicles I believe, even 2WD. Do not discount the achievement however, it is a remote place.

We are "ice road truckers" now.

We were there on the last day of this year when the sun does not set, 2 August. We stayed in the Deadhorse Camp (a lodge), although there is camping available out of town for free and also at the servo and a pub in town (cost unknown)

Deadhorse is a real working man's town and would be awesome to see in the depths of winter when it is really alive with the workers searching for and extracting the oil. Everyone flies in/flies out, evet the tyre guy and coffee shop lady! .

The tour to the Arctic ocean is well worth while as an educational pursuit and as a must to understand the operation.

We are back in Fairbanks now but off to Denali tomorrow, so you will have to wait for some pics. - sorry about that.

Happycamper

Adventurer
Amanda's report

Amanda wrote this report of our trip north and back to Fairbanks. She captures the mood nicely.

"We are now back in Fairbanks after going right to the tippy top of Alaska! It was a 4 day round trip from here to there. We had heard all these horror stories about how hard the road was, so we had made some preparations, including checking on the air in the spare and wrapping and packing everything in the back of the camper with extra care. Then when we arrived in Fairbanks before heading up, we saw a sign in our RV park (what they call caravan parks here) saying that the Dalton Highway was going to be closed the next day - the very day we needed it to be open! We double checked and sure enough, it was closed 7am to 7pm about 100 miles up from where we were. So we had a lazy morning in fairbanks, went to a musem and cooked scrambled eggs for breakfast and headed up to get to the blockage at around 4, with the hope that they might open early.... They didn't, but we ended up chatting with some people from the other 20 or so cars and trucks waiting there, and typically, the party ended up being right outside our truck. It's possible that this happened simply because we were about middle in the line, but i feel like it was more to do with Mum's amazing ability to talk to everyone. While we were waiting I also picked a whole heap of blueberries which were growing by the side of the road and we had blueberry pancakes the next morning! That night we camped on the artic circle and got in at around 10 at night! crazy.... ever crazier was that it was still light. On the way up, at different points we saw caribou, Musk-ox, Dall sheep and lots of artic ground squirrills - no moose though. and when we went over the pass which is the highest point on the road I ran over and made a couple of snowballs from some snow that hadn't melted yet (this in summer!). We also found some really cool rock formations which I liked (obviously), and got a flat tyre. shame really, cos the roads were really not bad at all! everyone was kicking up such a fuss but it was a much better road than everything we've faced that's dirt in Australia.

Once we got to the top, we stayed in a hotel/camp thing - it sas like a camp where the workers stayed but for tourists, but pretty basic facilities. Still, it was warm and dry and as outside was wet and probably the coldest night to date, we didn;t mind too much. It was crazy arriving up there though cos about 30 miles from the coast was this wall of fog that we drove into, so you drive out of a beautiful blue day into the sea fog drifting over the land. It means the whole time we were up there you couldn't really see much, but I don't know whether there was much to see so that's ok I guess.the next morning we did a tour - as the land up there is all owned by different oil companies, you can't actually get through to the sea without getting a tour. It was cool though, the tour guide/security officer told us a bit about everything and we saw heaps of different birds around the place which he told us about. Then we were at the Arctic Ocean, we all touched the water, Dad and I went for a paddle (but not mum - too cold) and some crazy people from our bus actually went swimming! I was wearing too jumpers so that didn't sound like fun to me. We saw some grizzly footprints on the beach, and on our way back in the bus we saw a grizzly and her cub! she crossed right in front of us on the road, got some great photos!

Anyway, then we left and came back down to here again! It was kinda rainy and cloudy the whole way.You should see how dirty the car got! thick mud too. We gave a cyclist a lift today, cos it was rainy and hilly. It meant I had to sit in the back but I didn't mind at all - in fact I wish he'd wanted to go further cos I got super comfy and was just getting ready for a nap!

That's all for now. Heading to Denali National Park tomorrow for a couple of days - North America's tallest mountain is there but apparently like cradle mountain is very hard to see cos of the weather. Maybe we'll get lucky! It's also supposed to have a massively high number of wild animals in the park with a strong possibility of seeing them so that's cool. Then after Denali, going down to Anchorage, then to Seward, Homer south of Anchorage"

Happycamper

Adventurer
Up tp Atigan pass

IMG_5910.jpg
The mighty Yukon river
IMG_5887.jpg

IMG_5915.jpg
Pipeline scene- our constant companion
IMG_5927.jpg
Milepost reached
IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg
Still a bit of ica at Atigan pass
IMG_5994.jpg
Atigan pass

Happycamper

Adventurer
Christian P.

We will make contact on our return. we are familiar with Truckee and love that area. would be good to meet you.

Ross

BrookyTom

Boring Old Brookfield

Hey, great to see all the progress and achievments. Wendy brought up the site at Jen's bday dinner last night and then accessed at work here today. Noticed the Captain in the photos and looks like a suitable guard against the cold. All good out at Brooky though your mixer is getting a bit of a workout. Footings for the three tier 1 walls done and Frank has done some great work with the excavator on gully diversions and access road. Keep up the progress and the photos - hope Denali is/was good, I'm sure you'll see a moose there (if not Mt McKinley). Enjoy [not sure if this going to work through?? Here goes..]

kajones

Wow you guys have really seen a lot to date. Sent an e-mail in regards to trip to Cape Cod after wedding. Need some info from you before I can make plans. Have fun and really looking forward to seeing you at the wedding. I'm sure you will have lots to tell us about your adventures.

Kathy

Happycamper

Adventurer
Travel to the east coast

Kathy,

Travel on Monday to thursday will be good; and we will get you back home. We can make plans at the wedding. You will need some bedding. It will be cosy, but fun.

Ross

Happycamper

Adventurer
Tom,

Thanks for the update. Having some issues with emaill and access.

Captain has been good, yes we did see moose in Denali, along with many other critters. Excellent.

Now at Dawson City, Canada.

Keep layoing those rocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior