M416 Build in Maryland

Kflash

Adventurer
Thanks Don. Mark suggested your build as a reference. I really like the rear bumper. Hoping to mount a bike rack or spare tire carrier.

Any chance you could send the measurments and any other specs for the build?

Did you reinforce the back of the frame where you bolted it on? Was wondering if the C channel is strong enough to not "flex".

Newbumper2.jpgGoal.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Though I hear they aren't that bright and have no side markers, they just plain look cool!

Question of the evening. I haven't pulled one off yet to see for myself (saving that fun for bearing/race replacement this weekend). What are the collars for under the lug nuts? Is this a two piece unit or just one weird nut?

You can install 12V bulbs into the original lights, it will brighten them up quite a bit. No, no side marker lights, but since they are 'Original Equipment', you should be OK as far getting any tickets.

You probably figured out the lug nuts by now, one piece with the funny washers.

The M416 wheels are 'lug centric', and fit tight, so the lug nuts are flat. If you ever decide to run aftermarket wheels (like I have on mine) you can pick up a set of 7/16" 'acorn' style lugnuts. Just make sure they are open ended, because the studs are really long.

Trailer is looking really good!!

HB

Kflash

Adventurer
Any info on bulb type for the 12 volts? Is the small black out light only for show?

Ahh! Just found a post you made in 2010. Two 1157 bulbs

Last edited:

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I will try and get the specs on the bumper this evening. I had a guy build it out of rectangular tubing. I have carried 2 bikes with no problem. I am not sure I would put a spare on it. I did not reinforce the back as I knew I was not going to haul much other than bikes. If I was going to use a basket or tire I would go in and reinforce the back cross member. There are some good threads on this.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
If you deal on ebay I can recommend seller jemstube
They sell raw hitch receivers in many sizes up to 12"
They are weldable and come with a stiffiner ring and pin hole.
I have purchased seven from this seller and they worked well.

They sell 1 1/4'' and 2" receivers.

Attachments

• !B4KYnUQEGk~$(KGrHqV,!hsEyd!pp40RBMo18(j,)g~~_1.jpg
    !B4KYnUQEGk~$(KGrHqV,!hsEyd!pp40RBMo18(j,)g~~_1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 411

Kflash

Adventurer
Perfect timing ! Was was just wonering about this. Thanks Mark! I was looking into the rear cross member stiffening kit from midwest military. I have emailed to see if they'd sell just the frame pieces rather than the whole kit with bracket/box for tandem power hook up.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Thanks Don. Mark suggested your build as a reference. I really like the rear bumper. Hoping to mount a bike rack or spare tire carrier.

Any chance you could send the measurments and any other specs for the build?

Did you reinforce the back of the frame where you bolted it on? Was wondering if the C channel is strong enough to not "flex".

kflash,

Midwest Military makes a replica of the original Tandem Trailer Hitch Kit issued for these trailers. Bottom of the page.

http://www.midwestmilitary.net/trailerparts.html

Kflash

Adventurer
Boy to I feel stupid. Way to ignore the obvious. Jeep dealership called to say it was only a dead battery/shorted out. I almost bought a new one before I called for a tow, but was just in a hurry to get it out of my friends driveway. Were also heading out for vacation soon and wanted the Jeep for the trip. O well, could have been worse...just the most expensive battery I've every paid for.

Last edited:

Kflash

Adventurer
Spare Tire Mount

Trying to be creative...

Anyone think that the spare tire mount from an m38 will work on the back of the m416. Not sure if it is spaced out enough to clear the lip of the trailer or canvas cover hook that is on the back.

m38 spare tire mount.jpg

IF is would mount and clear those items, does anyone know if the m416 rims would fit -bolt pattern/same size rim?

Thoughts??

I'd rather stick with my original idea and use something like this once I work out a rear receiver.

spare tire curt.jpg

Attachments

• spare tire receiver.gif
    spare tire receiver.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 447

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like the M38 mount, should clear the cover and if the bolt pattern does not match it is an easy fix.
If you found one cheap enough " sometimes the military stuff is expensive " receiver mount could be fabbed cheaper than bought.
Keep us posted.

Scout957

Canvas Cover

"I ordered a new canvas cover off Ebay. Really heavy duty and seems impregnated with some sort of weather proofing. New tires and rims look great. This thing is all business!"

I'm liking your canvas cover. Would mind posting a link to the ebay dealer who carries it.Thanks

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
You can install 12V bulbs into the original lights, it will brighten them up quite a bit. No, no side marker lights, but since they are 'Original Equipment', you should be OK as far getting any tickets.

You probably figured out the lug nuts by now, one piece with the funny washers.

The M416 wheels are 'lug centric', and fit tight, so the lug nuts are flat. If you ever decide to run aftermarket wheels (like I have on mine) you can pick up a set of 7/16" 'acorn' style lugnuts. Just make sure they are open ended, because the studs are really long.

Trailer is looking really good!!

HB

I think you may have it backward, unless it was long ago explained to me wrong. M416 wheels are HUB Centric because they are located using the hub, which requires the funny lug nuts. If you bolt a different wheel on that uses the acorn style nut those wheels are located/centered using the lug nut making them LUG centric.

Great looking trailer so far! Who did you get the lunette from if I missed it?

Kflash

Adventurer
Both the canvas tarp and lunette are still available on eBay. I did a search for m416 and they both show up.

Kflash

Adventurer
Successful trip to the Maryland MVA today. Title and registration in hand! Think I'm going to tow it around behind me for awhile - just because I can!

Think I'm fixed on a flat top that will be hinged at the front to flip up at the back with gas struts. Should be easy to fabricate and support a RTT.

Kflash

Adventurer
Harbor Freight

HaHa

Another Harbor Freight Tongue Box. The only one they had. The finish on the top was not perfect and they discounted it for me. Not a big deal as I plan to bed liner the top as well as the tub cover once it's fabed up. Thanks Don for the mounting help - spaced forward to leave room for the hand brake. I have it mocked up on 2x3 lumber.

tongue box.jpg

Also picked up an LED reciever brake light and a few other odds and ends. Love that place. Also ordered a pintle lock of Ebay.

pintle lock.jpg

What do you think of my nice crampt and cluttered garage?!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles