Wheel track on camper

rockman

Adventurer
Trying to work something out ..... If I increase my wheel track by 4" ( 100mm ) each side , will it make a small amount of difference or a noticeable amount of difference ? . I would be doing this by replacing the axle .
Took the camper out on the weekend with the family and going through a bit of rough stuff , I had noticed a few times , the wheel leaving the ground by up to 8" .... not a nice feeling .

Cheers Jim

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Making it wider will increase it stability but nothing for the bounce. If I remember correctly you have shocks and springs correct. Could be that it is too stiff, removing a spring might help, but I would lower the air preasure in the tires. Play with that first.

Bob

rockman

Adventurer
Bob ... no problems with bounce at all , just stability .
Just looking at increasing the track width to make it a bit wider / more stable .
I dropped into a 2ft hole and nearly watched the trailer drop over , I would have seen a good 8" of air under the tyre , not a nice feeling or to look at thinking your trailer is going to fall over .
If increasing the track width by 4 inches each side would make a big difference , I will do . If it would only make a marginal difference , it wont warrant the cost I dont think .
The cheapest way would be by using wheel spacers , I can only get them in 50mm and have heard some bad reports on them , otherwise it would have to be a new axle to get the extra width .

Cheers Jim

navigator

Adventurer
do you have an offroad hitch?
I'm thinking the width wouldn't be as important as your hitch style and center of gravity.
What type of trailer do you have? Maybe post some pictures to give everyone a better idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior