Transformation: 80's Bonair tent trailer - Custom adventure tent trailer.

Brando

Long time lurker here finally getting a start on my project. My girl and I love the outdoors and love camping and enjoying nature with our two dogs. After a few years of struggling to keep more then 200lbs of dog in a nylon tent at 5 in the morning when a random, raccoon, deer or other animal comes sniffing through camp... and a few ripped tents later, we decided a tent trailer would probably be a little easier.

glen2011.jpg

Yeah they look innocent, but they'll tear up even the best of tents quicker then you can whip out the visa to purchase them!

Lucky for us her parents were giving up their old one for something bigger and newer. Here it is on one of it's last weekends. You gotta love the color scheme!

glen2010.jpg

Well it served it's purpose, but now we want to find places further and more remote. Not to mention, it's rotted through. We decided a full rebuild and upgrade was in order.

The tear down starts!

Summer2012 109.jpg

And ends pretty quick. You wouldn't believe how flimsy those suckers are!

Summer2012 168.jpg

Very little will remain of the original camper as you can see. We are keeping the "pop-up" mechanism of the old trailer, and the basic, two bed layout will stay the same. What we will do is get rid of a lot of the crap inside and transfer our essentials outside. For instance, cooking in a tent is stupid. The cooking will now be done outside so pull out compartments for our "kitchen area" will be worked into our plans. I love to rough it but with a camper like this, it is handy to have interior and exterior lighting when you're off the grid, so we will be wiring up a 12volt system that will charge while being towed off our tow vehicle. Propane and water will also be permanent fixtures on this rig.

I will also be making this a lot more off-road worthy. Not as much as some (No 33" mud tires here) but full size wheels and 30" tires will be used, and with that, stiffening of the frame and structure of this camper.

We will eventually change the canvas, but we may just have to make due with the old stuff for this year depending on our time and budget constraints.

More updates to follow!

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Great project. I have watched a few of these on this site and am always amazed at how long these units last based on the contruction. Like you most guys have these completely apart in short order and most items end up in the trash.

What is the plan?

Keep the pictures coming.

Brando

The plan is going to be quite simple. I'll have pictures up of some of the progress by the weekend. The whole structure will be metal framed. Interior is being simplified and a fold out kitchen area will be worked in. Sides and roof will be made out of ply coated in CEPS rear and front will be diamond plate (to avoid any stone chips and add some "bling"). Lights will all be changed to LED. Including interior lighting and "porch" lighting. The 12 volt system will also include a power inverter to run laptop or other appliance. The kitchen will also be plumbed for running water and propane.

Long term plans will include solar charging for extended off grid excursions, a propane/12 volt freezer, new canvas.

Brando

image.jpg

Crappy cell pic of the wheel fitment. As you can see I had to trim away more frame. The axle is also just short enough that the inside of the tire rubs against the bolt on the leaf springs. So I will be looking into a new axle this week. Or wheel spacers... Any thoughts???

It'll be a long weekend of cutting and welding. I'm hoping to have it all done and painted by sunday so I can begin cutting and installing the wood during the week and epoxied by the end of next weekend.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
How about different backspacing on the wheels?

My thoughts exactly. Using wheel spacers adds another set of lug nuts (which are hidden behind the wheel)

It would be a real headache if they came loose on the road/trail.

Much easier to have just the lug nuts, as you can put a wrench to them to check them anytime.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Change out the axle for a correct face to face measurement.
It will be close to the same price as spacers.

Brando

I think I most likely will be changing the axle. The present axle is 57.5" face to face. A very odd size if you ask me. 60" would do the trick but I would love an extra 2 inches. I'm going Monday to check it out at a trailer supply.

TheThom

Adventurer
Just saw this and subscribed. I'm in the middle of one of these rebuilds and love to see them on this site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94